The (unofficial) Tour de Fat

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah I didn't post yesterday because I just wanted the day to be over. I don't know if its the string of consecutive days of riding. Possibly some sleep deprivation or maybe even back to back SS days. I was literally dog poo and tried to bait @Reggie into just go ahead and get your ride on. Never got clean legs even after hally toe. Every slight incline was just a slog. So I had to be towed for 10 miles of what felt like 12" of mud when it was dry as a bone. Rest of the day was no different.

I tell my wife and anyone who actually listens and get the resounding of course your old and your over doing it. I hate to hear i am old, my body tells me all the time. My brain is the trickster though, it tells me I can hit that or jump that or lift that. I want a reboot and be 28 again. I am smart now and I wouldn't do those stupid things I did the last time I was 28 :) nah who am I kidding.
I would still do stupid 28 year old things.

Today was testing yesterday's mess, what better place to test then allamuchy north, right. See stupid 55 yr old brain thinks its wiser. Met up with Slacktown and @BPaze At the camp to get the easy way to the top. Took the race course trail to introduce the boyz to mooch. Introduction light freaken middle, ok they handled this well. Over to bypass, check. Then to rolly polly. I think the boyz were delightfully surprised. I mention to Max its been a while since I even ridden it. Still fun as all get out.
20200627_075012.jpg
20200627_075016.jpg
20200627_075020.jpg
20200627_075025.jpg

Funny how the pics dont do the steepness any justice.

So we circle around to head down cardiac and I hear that sound you know. That carbon crunching and crushing sound after landing the slightest drop. I though for sure it was the frame. Let's see LB rims have 5 yr warranty and i am on year six, sounds about right. Luckily not far down the line walk back up to ditch and ride that carbon garbage back to the car. No hesitation ordered up new rim right away because last one took 3 months. Fingers crossed its sooner then later. That leaves SS, Ripmo and Seven. It is road season so may start doing some of that.
20200627_083759.jpg

serviceguy

Yeah I didn't post yesterday because I just wanted the day to be over. I don't know if its the string of consecutive days of riding. Possibly some sleep deprivation or maybe even back to back SS days. I was literally dog poo and tried to bait @Reggie into just go ahead and get your ride on. Never got clean legs even after hally toe. Every slight incline was just a slog. So I had to be towed for 10 miles of what felt like 12" of mud when it was dry as a bone. Rest of the day was no different.

I tell my wife and anyone who actually listens and get the resounding of course your old and your over doing it. I hate to hear i am old, my body tells me all the time. My brain is the trickster though, it tells me I can hit that or jump that or lift that. I want a reboot and be 28 again. I am smart now and I wouldn't do those stupid things I did the last time I was 28 :) nah who am I kidding.
I would still do stupid 28 year old things.

Today was testing yesterday's mess, what better place to test then allamuchy north, right. See stupid 55 yr old brain thinks its wiser. Met up with Slacktown and @BPaze At the camp to get the easy way to the top. Took the race course trail to introduce the boyz to mooch. Introduction light freaken middle, ok they handled this well. Over to bypass, check. Then to rolly polly. I think the boyz were delightfully surprised. I mention to Max its been a while since I even ridden it. Still fun as all get out.
View attachment 132732View attachment 132733View attachment 132734View attachment 132735
Funny how the pics dont do the steepness any justice.

So we circle around to head down cardiac and I hear that sound you know. That carbon crunching and crushing sound after landing the slightest drop. I though for sure it was the frame. Let's see LB rims have 5 yr warranty and i am on year six, sounds about right. Luckily not far down the line walk back up to ditch and ride that carbon garbage back to the car. No hesitation ordered up new rim right away because last one took 3 months. Fingers crossed its sooner then later. That leaves SS, Ripmo and Seven. It is road season so may start doing some of that.
View attachment 132736

I wonder if that type of damage could be repaired. LB as in ? Sounds like they come with an expiration date...like anything else!

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Slept till 8, lolly gag around a bit then pumped up the tires on the Seven. I rolled the bike about a month ago the equivalent of a neighborhood ride. Today was first effort ride on the road in 2 years i think.

Its been a rough couple of days as I am just feeling lagged. The road was no different, its easy leaving the house because its downhill for about 2 miles. You cant hide your motor on the road as its planted to seat and pedal. This is when I realized if I am gonna make a jump in cycling fitness, it has to be putting in saddle time on the road. What i thought i was gonna do and what i actually did were very far apart.

As I finished my local loop around the muck I came to the realization that I am not gonna make the climb back home without circumstances. Called my son to come get me. His reply "why?" Because I'm cooked $%^&*!!! I knew this was gonna take a while because 19yr olds don't move fast. So I planned to roll the paved trails at the park. Just as I started to roll, FFT! Damn perfect excuse why to be picked up lost.

Its hard to make road rides sound exciting but I did swoosh off this big guy who didn't look like he was much into moving. The gave him a nudge to move a little quicker and he didn't like that very much at all.
20200628_112959.jpg
20200628_113106.jpg

Overall with my xc fatty down again, I am gonna start rolling the road more so. Water is drying up in the parks so thats also the sign that ollie stays in to keep cool. Hopefully the road will help pull some fitness together.
20200628_112524.jpg

May the road be kind to you ✌

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
34 days of continuous riding. Though i did have one off because i pulled a double day before. Actually I pulled 2 doubles last one is about where the wheels fell off for me. I had the alarm set and just couldn't get it mentally going. Stayed and slept another hour. Going to stay off the bike today to see if that helps.

I have been on an organization binge with well just about everything. It seems I have piles of something everywhere that has needed attention. So I been writing down a list and checking off as I go. Its simple to almost silly this is what it took to conquer these small feats. Slacktown was the beneficiary of the containers of parts I have been hanging on to from well back to the mid 90s. My wife is extremely well organized and gets rid of stuff sometimes too soon at a fault but I always admire how she has such a simpler life from being so organized. Me i am always losing my mind trying to find crap.

20200623_201018.jpg

My cuz the one who helped me tile that floor asked if I happen to have one of these. These were on just about every DH bike back in the day. He still rolls his M1 at creek and on the trail because he's cheap and doesn't want to buy a proper trail bike. Lucky for him i just happen to have one to replace his torn to shit old one.

@Matt_ Your niner fork is going to @Patrick @Leftymuk Those fat wheels are also going to Pat today

Keep life simple one day at a time ✌

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok the day off did me some good.

Screenshot_20200630-081747_Spotify.jpg

Met @Reggie at deer park for Single speed a luscious ride. We kept it pretty chill and punched in about 9.5 miles. Its a good motivator to have Burke show up for these early magical mornings. I mentioned that I hope to continue these rides into the late season, seems to fit the best for my schedule. I now almost always wake before alarm and not having much of a hard time hitting the sack earlier.

We both agree that Deer Park is such a solid park for SSing. I really felt great today and a day off the bike really solidifies that. Thursday will be another day as its a travel day. Will be getting some laps in at Gurney Lane over the weekend and mixing it up with some longer hikes. Otherwise we will be doing much nothing which i am looking forward to most.
20200630_062759_001.jpg
20200630_063411.jpg
20200630_065256.jpg

Easy does it ✌

serviceguy

"Magical" is so on point. This is the perfect time to ride. The sun breaking through the tree canopy drying up the morning dew is pretty breathtaking. I almost crashed just trying to take in the view.
Don't you dare crashing my bike. I'm keeping an eye on you mister!

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Man what a couple days can do to a quiver. I stated about a week ago I was grateful to have 3 very different working mtb bikes. Well that count is down to 1 just like that. Saturday I destroyed my rear carbon fat rim. Last night I got carried away, I was looking to give my beloved SKF BB some love. Mind you this BB has been in this Misfit since 2009. I had it originally in the non Canada frame previously. 11 years i would was just a tad too long to not give it some attention. I often bragged about the fact but the real fact is it became a welded fixture. I spent 2 hours destroying it to get it out last night.
20200630_200905.jpg

Today I am grabbing a cheap shimano BB
Bearing tool and face tool. I need to have this up and running for this weekend at gurney lane. Down the line I will buy another SKF for my Misfit and maybe another set of Blackburn RS7s since they are back.

So that left todays ride with the Pig, I hit up. @Reggie last night about the change of plans. He needed a quick ride as he had to travel today so we stuck with DP. We kept it on sustainable trails and worked it backwards a bit from yesterday. You realize quickly how neglected this park is when things get wet. The growth layer has almost taken over 90% of the trail system. I would have much to say on this subject but I choose to digress on the public forum.

My weight is still trending in the right direction, todays BS (bathroom scale) says i am at 231.8, here's to 220's for July ?. That 215 by August looks like a stretch but still obtainable.

Much different day then yesterday
20200701_064241.jpg

Oh I saved a turtle for good deeds
Seems he tried to climb over the log and ended up on his back. Which is how I found him. Burke being so fast never saw him. I stopped and put upright and on a new path.
20200701_061335.jpg

Tomorrow will be an off day as we are Lake George bound, so unless something crazy or spectacular happens this thread will probably be dark. Look for the gurney lane pics.

I'm tagging @Norm because I found if I tag people they might actually read your post :)

Good Orderly Direction ✌

Top Bottom