I need new ski's ( and everything else)

Stocky

The Mtn biking bug bit me this spring, I never thought I'd enjoy it so much. That being said my buddy and I decided we wanted to get back into skiing.

The last time I was on Ski's was the mid 90's in Utah. I rate myself as a very competant intermediate.

What the hell is out there these days, I know squat about what to get. Back in my day it was Rossi's or K2 ( is K2 still making ski's ?)

Mind you lets not break the bank on this purchase, since I just bought a Hi-Fi Deluxe just over a month ago.

I'll need ski's,boots,bindings etc...

My skiing will be 99% Northeast slopes.

thanks guys.

What's this gonna cost me and what should I look at ?

Engignar

once you get some advice on gear check out tramdock.com

it is pretty much chainlove/ steepandcheap but for winter gear.

crash_in_nj

There's a lot to consider before you go throwing down the kind of money a decent setup costs. How many days per year are you going to get? Are you going to take lessons? What kind of trails do you like? How aggressive are you? Do you ski with people who are better than you? If you're: planning on skiing more than 10 days, or taking lessons, or are pretty aggressive or you ski with someone who is better than you, then you might want to consider stepping up to higher performing gear because you'll probably need it before you wear them out. On the other hand, if you don't get out so much and don't take lessons or don't mind plunking down for new equipment more often you don't need to get higher performance gear.

You may already know this, but it is a mistake I used to see people making all of the time when I worked in the shop. BUY THE BOOTS FIRST!!! Get the wrong boot and you might as well throw away all of the money you're spending. So get the boot first. If you're on a budget, it's even more important. You're much better off blowing out the budget on your boots and leasing a cheapo ski for the year if you need to. So take your time, get fitted by a pro. Try to go when the shop won't be busy, so you can get their undivided attention. Don't be afraid to complain if something doesn't feel perfect. A tiny bit off standing in the shop can turn into absolute agony on the mountain very quickly.

K2 and Rossignol both still make skis. I wouldn't be too concerned with brand. Look for a ski that fits with how you like to ski and your ability level (be sure to adjust a little based on your answers above) and go with it. The ski mags have also put out their reviews, so I'd check those out.

Stocky

Thanks Crash, my first line of attack is always the mid week mid morning shopping and question session . Never fails that the shops are empty at those hours.
Being that I'm gonna get back into it this year I 'm not sure if I'll make 10 days of skiing, then again if you told me a year ago I'd be riding 2-3 times a week on my FS bike I would have laughed at ya.
So lets go with 5-10 times this initial season.
I'd say i'm an agressive skier ,at least I was when I was 20.
I don't go looking for black diamond trails, but I do like the bumps and jumps.

Can ya point in me in a direction for ski's and what's the latest on boots ? Back in the day it was the rear entry boots, I think that has come full circle back to the 4 or 5 buckle style is that correct ?

I prefer to buy once ( not top of the line, but not crap ) and not have to deal with renting every time, unless I rent from a shop for the season to see how things go this year.

There's a lot to consider before you go throwing down the kind of money a decent setup costs. How many days per year are you going to get? Are you going to take lessons? What kind of trails do you like? How aggressive are you? Do you ski with people who are better than you? If you're: planning on skiing more than 10 days, or taking lessons, or are pretty aggressive or you ski with someone who is better than you, then you might want to consider stepping up to higher performing gear because you'll probably need it before you wear them out. On the other hand, if you don't get out so much and don't take lessons or don't mind plunking down for new equipment more often you don't need to get higher performance gear.

You may already know this, but it is a mistake I used to see people making all of the time when I worked in the shop. BUY THE BOOTS FIRST!!! Get the wrong boot and you might as well throw away all of the money you're spending. So get the boot first. If you're on a budget, it's even more important. You're much better off blowing out the budget on your boots and leasing a cheapo ski for the year if you need to. So take your time, get fitted by a pro. Try to go when the shop won't be busy, so you can get their undivided attention. Don't be afraid to complain if something doesn't feel perfect. A tiny bit off standing in the shop can turn into absolute agony on the mountain very quickly.

K2 and Rossignol both still make skis. I wouldn't be too concerned with brand. Look for a ski that fits with how you like to ski and your ability level (be sure to adjust a little based on your answers above) and go with it. The ski mags have also put out their reviews, so I'd check those out.

Dug

+1 for what crash in nj said
put the money into boots if your boots do not fit right you will be miserable
try on the boot in the store for at least 1/2 hour min. A couple of hours spent
in the shop for a day will save you a ton of hassle later.

the technology has changed quite a bit.
Boots
front entry no more rear entry boots,more fit options,dual compound plastics.different flex.
skis
wider,shorter,more side cut.
bindings
better release points to prevent injury.
That is just to name a few.
What you will notice is everyone makes /markets there own skis,boots and bindings now.
You might want to consider renting for the first year some shops now rent you the equipment for the whole season and if you have trouble just bring it back and get another.
depending on your weight and height I might have a set of skis for sale also.

good luck
Dug

Glancing Aft

Agreed with what everyone said as far as boots, having comfy feet is key. Don't be afraid to leave a pair of boots on in the shop for a good half hour, walk around with them and take a look at other stuff.

As dave said, tram dock.com can be your friend.

I guess when you left the sport shaped skis where already about so you know that you'll be rocking something a bit shorter than with straight skis. For instance back in my race days I was on 198cm, now I rock between a 173 - 178cm ski. Also in the last few years the ski companies have really started to market the width of their skis. My recommendation is don't look at skis less than 80mm underfoot, they are a waste of time, and I'd break it down as such:
80mm- 90mm, if you're skiing mostly local.
90mm- 100mm, if you're also going to be up to Vermont a bit and taking trips out west
> 100mm if you're heading out west a lot...

Also if you do like to hit jumps, as you say definitely rock a pair of twin-tip skis. Their ability to take off and land switch off jumps adds endless possibilities to what you can do.

Other ski companies you can check out:
Line
Armada
Volkl

Keep in mind that like with MTB nothing is really made in the states anymore, even K2 is made in China.

Also, every year in December Hunter has a fairly good demo day, it's good way to check out many different skis back to back and feel their differences.

Last edited:

crash_in_nj

+1 on the twin tips. Lots of fun in the bumps. They are purpose built too, just like any other type of ski. They make park and pipe specific twins and all mountain twins etc. The demo day at Hunter is a great idea. Do your boots before the season and you can take some skis out for a test drive before you buy.

Top Bottom