The (unofficial) Tour de Fat

serviceguy

Rare but hopefully not the last of early riders adventures. @Reggie and @The Landfill of Slacktown met up this morning for a magical morning before the steam settled in.
View attachment 132420

Was awesome to have company as always with any ride. None of us were interested in Haley toe to start so down around a serpentine maze proper again. Super fun when done right. Today I was the anchor, blew out my front pads on the fat bike yesterday with @Patrick so the ripmo pig was my only choice. Well thats not completely true. I could have grabbed the misfit SS, hmm. Not sure if my knee is up to snuff yet for SSing, may have to test that out.
View attachment 132421

Back to the Ripmo AF for a moment. For those who think this bike is for them. My small takes so far. Its not a bike you bring to join a hardtail group party. Its not gonna get you KOMs on any climbs. Its heavy AF! I still haven't got completely comfortable with the long and low especially in the slow tech. I seem to get hung up much but a bit of that is rider fitness. Much core work is needed yet. What the Ripmo is, is extremely stable especially in the down direction. With all that heft it keeps the bike planted. I haven't had any scary moments attacking the down as this is where the bike shines. Just to be clear this bike also climbs really well, dwlink hooks up as advertised. Its just slow or I am just slow, either way I always have a big ass grin when going down. Can't wait to take it to bike parks.
View attachment 132423

Thanks again guys for hanging with me this morning for another great morning of riding.
Pic before the final burger DH!
View attachment 132424

Keep the rides spicy ✌
Do you always get started from the same parking spot at the same time? I could use an extra early ride to point me in the right direction and change the scenery just a little...

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Skunks-lost brake pads-SS's-poop-greasy rocks

Thats the whole story.

Dog got hit by skunk right in front of us

We took the gravel route as it just finished up raining, just as we were climbing behind vistar I realized I lost the pads on the front, again. This time on the SS.

Yup pulled my old friend down from the rafters last night. Swapped bars to my ti Watson's and juiced up the tires.
20200624_052855.jpg

Just when I thought I had some fitness I was knocked back down to size. 30 oval x 50 gives a fools sense. Mind you i was not over geared, in fact I was 32 x 21 and still struggled on the climbs. That ride was a reality check. Also skinny inflated tires took some getting use too especially in the greasy rock areas. Man it was like it rained vegetable oil. Overall glad I brought it out to again realizing i still have a long way to go.

I had @Reggie to chase all morning, my boy still has a good SS engine running. This is awesome to have the company in the morning, helps keep you motivated.
20200624_061407.jpg

So the poop. I started the ride with with the unwanted desire. It eventually overwhelmed the ride to where Burke shared his most recent episode and convinced me to just get it over with. This was second time I can ever remember I had no choice. Many leaves were harmed. No pics here.

Just another day on a different bike with a good friend ✌
20200624_061350.jpg

serviceguy

Skunks-lost brake pads-SS's-poop-greasy rocks

Thats the whole story.

Dog got hit by skunk right in front of us

We took the gravel route as it just finished up raining, just as we were climbing behind vistar I realized I lost the pads on the front, again. This time on the SS.

Yup pulled my old friend down from the rafters last night. Swapped bars to my ti Watson's and juiced up the tires.
View attachment 132475
Just when I thought I had some fitness I was knocked back down to size. 30 oval x 50 gives a fools sense. Mind you i was not over geared, in fact I was 32 x 21 and still struggled on the climbs. That ride was a reality check. Also skinny inflated tires took some getting use too especially in the greasy rock areas. Man it was like it rained vegetable oil. Overall glad I brought it out to again realizing i still have a long way to go.

I had @Reggie to chase all morning, my boy still has a good SS engine running. This is awesome to have the company in the morning, helps keep you motivated.
View attachment 132476

So the poop. I started the ride with with the unwanted desire. It eventually overwhelmed the ride to where Burke shared his most recent episode and convinced me to just get it over with. This was second time I can ever remember I had no choice. Many leaves were harmed. No pics here.

Just another day on a different bike with a good friend ✌
View attachment 132477

Liked for a glimpse of 'my' red bike...

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
2 questions:

How’s the knee post SS ride?

How does one get skunk spray off a dog? No seriously, what do you do? Special shampoo? That tomato juice thing isn’t real.... is it? I’ve never had to deal with a live skunk encounter.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Solo* groove album* ride at DP

Hey hey my my
Screenshot_20200625-080223_Spotify.jpg

Again around those middle school years, Jimmy Sampson aka "mouse" who was part of our tight crew, "the heads" as we were affectionately referred to. Brought this album to our ears via his older brother. I just learned his older brother John had just passed from cancer. Very sad, John moved to Santa Cruz became a pro mtber back in the 90s and during a visit back home he decided to pin a number at one of the norba races at Malhon. Well after the long rail trail start they duct to the right and into the woods. About 15 mins later out came John with bike on his shoulder. His exact words Fuck this place, this place Sucks! Lol, I guess they didn't have rocks where he raced pro. Both his tires were flat. Any way "mouse" was our mouth or you could say instigator who would always start trouble and expect us to clean up the mess, true Napoleon complex. But he has been one of those friends since kindergarten, I last heard he left Cali himself and moved to @Pearl Town.

Ride My Llama
"And when we got on ship
He brought out
something for the trip
And said, It's old but it's good
Like any other primitive would."

I have to say this song puts me in so many places. Today it made me thankful to bring out something old but good for todays ride.
20200625_063159.jpg

I am grateful for having 3 very different mtbs all in working order to chose from. I had a very small moment where I thought the Fatty and especially the SS were going out the door. I actually feel at peace with keeping all 3 and why not. At this very second I have no N+1 desires.

20200625_064724.jpg

Had a very spiritual morning, truly feel blessed ✌

Last edited:
Top Bottom