Good for a kid?

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Never been here and am looking for another spot to take my son. He is 12 years old, comfortably rides 6MR, rides the maple flats trail at the Sourlands with surprising success, but I’m looking for something between those trail types (very smooth vs very technical) besides Chimney Rock.

Any opinions? Anyone take their kid here?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We take our 10 year old there. Loves it.

Stay on Springside. When are you going? Text me maybe we can drag our crew out and tour youse guise.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
We take our 10 year old there. Loves it.

Stay on Springside. When are you going? Text me maybe we can drag our crew out and tour youse guise.

Right on. We will be out at some point this weekend as long as the rain does what it did today (not show up). He definitely has the mtb bug so we will be out next week too.

jklett

Definitely kid friendly and double definitely hit Gronsky's afterwards. My take is the Nassau road side is more like chimney rock and springside is like sixmile.

robmaurizi

Planning on taking the fam to Nassau today.. where’s the best place to park to access the mellower stuff with 2 7YOs? The Foran fields lot seems like it puts you near that far end of Springside, but how’s that climb up? Also don’t want to ruffle any feathers based on the recent posts in the trail conditions thread.

Thanks!
-Rob

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Planning on taking the fam to Nassau today.. where’s the best place to park to access the mellower stuff with 2 7YOs? The Foran fields lot seems like it puts you near that far end of Springside, but how’s that climb up? Also don’t want to ruffle any feathers based on the recent posts in the trail conditions thread.

Thanks!
-Rob

The trail connecting the Foran Fields is fantastic, but may be a bit much for 7yo starting out.

If you can park here https://g.page/Nassau-Trail?share

there is a trail head out of the lot - This area has loose rock trail bed. and some elevation change,
so it "might" be ok.

Instead - head up the road and use the trail across this field https://goo.gl/maps/yorUopWvY7H5n23z7

This is from trailforks - work the green and blue trails except for that switchback one next to the field. while it isn't hard,
it is a momentum ride, think large "half-pipe"
Top left is ok, try to catch the turn back on magenta (?) trail - if you miss it, it will come out on the road at the other parking lot.

1599477384535.png

Take a couple of pics, and report back! Should be an epic day.

robmaurizi

Patrick- thanks for the info. Can you park by that trailhead up the road there (what Trailforks calls the Nassau connector)? Or would you still recommend parking at the upper Nassau lot and riding up the road?

The trail connecting the Foran Fields is fantastic, but may be a bit much for 7yo starting out.

If you can park here https://g.page/Nassau-Trail?share

there is a trail head out of the lot - This area has loose rock trail bed. and some elevation change,
so it "might" be ok.

Instead - head up the road and use the trail across this field https://goo.gl/maps/yorUopWvY7H5n23z7

This is from trailforks - work the green and blue trails except for that switchback one next to the field. while it isn't hard,
it is a momentum ride, think large "half-pipe"
Top left is ok, try to catch the turn back on magenta (?) trail - if you miss it, it will come out on the road at the other parking lot.

View attachment 138841

Take a couple of pics, and report back! Should be an epic day.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Never been here and am looking for another spot to take my son. He is 12 years old, comfortably rides 6MR, rides the maple flats trail at the Sourlands with surprising success, but I’m looking for something between those trail types (very smooth vs very technical) besides Chimney Rock.

Any opinions? Anyone take their kid here?
Let me know when you want to go. My 8yr old won’t whine a bit when other kids come. Lots of whining otherwise.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Patrick- thanks for the info. Can you park by that trailhead up the road there (what Trailforks calls the Nassau connector)? Or would you still recommend parking at the upper Nassau lot and riding up the road?

probably too late. let me know how you made out.

robmaurizi

No worries... yeah, parked at the upper lot and then headed along Nassau Rd over to the Nassau connector trail and then right along that loop... a great time was had by all, especially when you factor in the pump track & flow trails after the boring trail riding :p

Thanks again for the info!

probably too late. let me know how you made out.

Off The Road Again

Nassau definitely kid friendly - I ride there!. Lol, in all seriousness, Nassau is a fun flowy place, see lots of NICA kids riding there-really nice to see. Other places that are kid-friendly, with a little time and don't mind the drive, are Deer Park and KVSP. Those two places are a step up from Nassau as a good transition to CR and parts of Wawayanda, imo.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions