Would you report moto use if you were unsure if it was illegal? i need 50 votes/opinions please.

Would you report moto use if you were unsure if it was illegal?

• yes - let the feds figure it out

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • Depends on the situation

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • No - if i'm not sure, i'm not causing a fuss

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • fire ?

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • new bike ?

Votes: 9 13.6%

• Total voters

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
So you have the WARN NJDEP app, and you are cruising along some connecting trail, and see some
moto going on. You are unsure about the land use in the area.
the crew is ripping it up, and it doesn't look like a moto pit. (ie the one at dickerson mine, or wildcat)

Would you report it?

If they looked like they were using it in a utilitarian way, ie, hunting, moving material would it make a difference?

jklett

Is it a trail system that allows motorized on any part of it? If no and they're tearing up the trails then I'd probably say something. If they're riding responsibly then I'd personally look the other way. If motos are allowed, rip away friends.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Unless they are tearing up good mountain biker built singletrack, I don't GAF what they do on motos.
This.

I grew up riding dirt bikes and sport quads it was some of the most fun I’ve ever had. There are very, very few places for kids to do it legally these days and that’s unfortunate. I flip out if I see them on maintained single track but otherwise....braaaaap.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I feel like I would know whether it’s legal in the places I generally ride. Sometimes it can be annoying, but if they aren’t on singletrack I’m not going to make a fuss. The quads that have been ripping up Stephens are lame though.

Kaleidopete

very tough to control
Wawayanda even allows trucks on many trails as long as they get a "fire wood" permit.
Trails like
Iron Mountain
William Hoeferlin
Wingdam
Double Pond
And other unnamed park trails.
They wreak the crap out of Iron Mountain with deep ruts and throwing rocks and debris all over.
Here is an example of quad problems. Two quads riding past McDonalds in West Milford on the main road.
Waved to the cops riding in their car coming in the opposite direction, what happened, nothing.
They can't catch them unless they break down.

jackx

Would say new bike, but you received enough of those votes.

The quad damage is out of control at Allamuchy. There seems to be quad/double-track go-arounds for every large downed tree and some rock gardens. I rode Green tonight and I was shocked how much more damage there seems to be in the last 6 weeks or so, since the lockdown began. I imagine it is riders from the Cranberry Lake area, the Private church Group with property near the Green/White intersection.

In Stephen's I've seen convoys or 3 and 4 quads and motos. They are generally nice and say Hey Chief!", "What's up, Sport?" or "Nice bike, Kimosabe" as they know they are illegal and want to make nice.

Patrick

Staff member
Is it a trail system that allows motorized on any part of it? If no and they're tearing up the trails then I'd probably say something. If they're riding responsibly then I'd personally look the other way. If motos are allowed, rip away friends.

Batso might be the only place that "allows" it. Other than private land or permitted use.
the other places are "look the other way" -

BPaze

So I say report whether good or bad riding. I am not against moto riding at all have been considering getting one for out of state riding but I have seen for every 1 rider that is good and respectful there are 9 that roost every turn because it’s fun(yes a lot of fun but they don’t repair anything or help maintain). I am also concerned that by hikers we are lumped into the same user group

edit: forgot my point of reporting is that squeaky wheel gets the oil if you don’t over report no attention is paid. Even then probably no attention paid.

Patrick

Staff member
So I say report whether good or bad riding. I am not against moto riding at all have been considering getting one for out of state riding but I have seen for every 1 rider that is good and respectful there are 9 that roost every turn because it’s fun(yes a lot of fun but they don’t repair anything or help maintain). I am also concerned that by hikers we are lumped into the same user group

good point.

Top Bottom