Is strava going from suck to blow?

So, if you don’t pay, they still use your data on the leader boards, right?

My view is if you use it and find value, pay to support it. Google convinced everyone to use their stuff for free in return they took your data and became the masters of the universe.

Well...technically Strava is doing the same. They're just not good at the masters of the universe part.

The only part of this that affects me is the training/calendar function. I find it's easier/better than Garmin Connect or TrainerRoad for seeing weekly/monthly. I like to just see hours/miles, very basic.

I'm not paying $60 a year for something I browse while pooping. Instagram is still free.

Isn't this the model most companies operate these days? Get you used to features and then take them away from you unless they pay or pay more. I don't like it that much, so once the the free period expires I make an informed decision to either keep it or leave it, kind the way it is supposed to be...in this case it stinks a bit more because it wasn't 'sold' (pun intended) as a trial or had an expiration (a least not a public one), but the writing was on the wall...I'm refusing to join IG so FB is still my bathroom companion...until you have to pay for it!

Consider zwift-strava integration.

if strava is selling their data to the government for traffic/route engineering (there is a better word, i'm at a loss)
there is no gain of valuable information!

absolute no brainer - you want zwift-strava, pay. zwift has ride history, but not broken down. they counted on strava,
strava made the assumption that it would either lead to more data, or paying customers - they lost that bet.
it is probably even worse the last couple months without spin classes!

@jdog - have you seen trainers moving also?

i don't know their paying-to-free ratio, they don't throw out data, that is stupid, they just limit what they show.
so on the back-end, they are full of shit - it costs the same amount!

i'm not sure they are working the demand side correctly by limiting features - they might do better by just raising the price $0.50/mo

Strava has been doing this to me a lot, this was my ride today, does anyone if its my GPS that is mucking this up or Strava?

View attachment 129164
I've been annoyed by that problem recently too. I think I found a solve but haven't tested it yet. In your phone's location settings, turn OFF "allow wifi for better location accuracy"

Im out.

For real, it’s the walking back on features as Jklett describes that stinks.
No, it’s not an unreasonable amount for what you get, but a better model would have been 90 days free then fee if you want it all. Like they are offering now.

And they aren’t Starving I’m sure, but let’s see what enhanced user experience comes out of this.
My view is if you use it and find value, pay to support it. Google convinced everyone to use their stuff for free in return they took your data and became the masters of the universe.
the point i was trying to make, doesnt matter if you agree with their business practices, you use a service they provide and they are asking for a small fee to use it. nothing outrageous im honestly shocked that we dont already have to pay just to use it period. i see alot of value in the app im happy to give them my monies. after all $5 is cheap when thats basically the cost of a spoke/nipple on a wheel.

the point i was trying to make, doesnt matter if you agree with their business practices, you use a service they provide and they are asking for a small fee to use it. nothing outrageous im honestly shocked that we dont already have to pay just to use it period. i see alot of value in the app im happy to give them my monies. after all $5 is cheap when thats basically the cost of a spoke/nipple on a wheel.
Not arguing with the return on investment at $5/month, just the need to go from 0 to 60 for what was basic plan. Evernote did this years ago, and I opted in.

I’m guessing it’s driven by the sheer number of freeloaders- it’s widely used, and doing the balance sheet, free plans have to feel like a lot of lost revenue.
Internet tells me there’s 50 million users. Even if only half are freeloaders, that’s a lot of money left on the table.

To the best of my knowledge, Strava is still not a profitable company. It was mismanaged for years and now they have to right the ship.

I already pay for Summit or whatever it's going to be called now so this doesn't matter to me...yet. If they start jacking the price I'll have to reconsider as the reasons I bought into the paid version are basically duplicated in Garmin Connect.

My riding has been minimal these last few months and I can tell you I only check Strava when I upload a ride. Very rare I look at it to keep up with what my followers/followees are doing outside of that. I'm not worried about $5 a month or $60 a year, but not being in train mode or a data scientist I'm unaffected by the changes.

I wonder how many people who would complain about Strava fees pay more for streaming services they use less often than their bike. Or gym memberships. It's $5/month. If it had never been free, most people would have jumped on it at $5/month from the start. It took a long time for Strava to make up their mind as to how they were going to direct their ship, and they had many different options, like the standard models of ads on your feeds or selling customer data for targeted messages (not the same as selling summary data for mapping or traffic apps.) People were going to complain about many of those. If they are going to hitch their wagon to subscription services, I think this is the least controversial and most customer-centric option they can choose. And again - it's $5/month. If you don't value what you get for that amount, then stop using it. Saying that leaderboards aren't worth $5/month and then being pissed that you can't see them for free is kind of inconsistent.

Strava has been doing this to me a lot, this was my ride today, does anyone if its my GPS that is mucking this up or Strava?

View attachment 129164
this must be a protest because - highest place on the eastern seaboard.

I've always found that this happens, when Garmin isn't updated and/or I didn't give enough time for the satellite to acquire signal..

Just wondering, can you do the tracking thing straight through garmin? That's the main reason I pay for strava and if I can do it for free then there's no benefit for me to continue to do so. I hate when you are suddenly expected to pay for a service that was always free under the guise of "improving your experience ". I say let it fall, someone else will come along to replace it.

You mean their Beacon? Yeah, Garmin has incident detection and live tracking on most of their devices (all of the new ones for sure). My girlfriend gets an email when I start a ride that she can track me. And the unit beeps like a mfer when I stop too quickly on the trail and it thinks I fell.

Last edited:
I wonder how many people who would complain about Strava fees pay more for streaming services they use less often than their bike. Or gym memberships. It's $5/month. If it had never been free, most people would have jumped on it at $5/month from the start.

You know how hard it is to pay $1 for a iPhone game?

Back
Top Bottom