High Bridge: NJ’s first professionally built flow trails on public land.

pkovo

how is the pedal back up for the kids?

There are two trails up but currently one (the left one) is chained off....though it seemed a lot of people were using it anyway??

The right one isn’t bad, but there us a punchy section through some rocks in the middle and then it gets a little steep towards the top. Depends on the kid's biking fitness, but even if they have to walk up, its relatively short and I would say worth it.

Both the trails down are really fun! Though I have personally been unwilling to attempt any of the real gaps on the harder trail yet.

ilnadi

This spot is really fun. It’s great for kids.
My 7year old loves it.
Go ride these trails and spend some money in Highbridge.

Make sure you tell the owners of the business that you’re spending money there and you’re only there because you came to town to ride the trails.View attachment 129061View attachment 129060View attachment 129062View attachment 129063View attachment 129064View attachment 129065View attachment 129066View attachment 129067
that's awesome

Fun for adults too!
The brewery on main street makes great beer.
remember to ask if they have the trails IPA they made for the fundraiser, they've remade it a few times and it's goodlegit.

JPark

that's awesome

remember to ask if they have the trails IPA they made for the fundraiser, they've remade it a few times and it's goodlegit.
The Trails IPA is fantastic. They were out of it this weekend but they had it a couple weeks prior. I like the Black Steel too.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
There are two trails up but currently one (the left one) is chained off....though it seemed a lot of people were using it anyway??

The right one isn’t bad, but there us a punchy section through some rocks in the middle and then it gets a little steep towards the top. Depends on the kid's biking fitness, but even if they have to walk up, its relatively short and I would say worth it.

Both the trails down are really fun! Though I have personally been unwilling to attempt any of the real gaps on the harder trail yet.

Someone needs to pull those chains on the lookers left down. I forgot to do it on my last visit.

pkovo

The Trails IPA is fantastic. They were out of it this weekend but they had it a couple weeks prior. I like the Black Steel too.
They were down to just Polka and Lights out this weekend and even shortened Sundays pickup window, but they should have more stock by this upcoming weekend.

Trails is fantastic! I actually like the Polka quite a bit, though it's definitely in a different category.

argyle

I checked out the flow trails today, too. Pretty cool spot although the only experience I have with jump lines is at the Creek so these jumps felt extremely tight. But I think I just need a little more practice to get the rhythm? (Also have never ridden a pump track, either.)

Then I headed to the Nassau Trails for the first time. I didn't realize such smooth and flowy trails existed in the rock garden state. I'm still debating the excitement factor...I mean, most of us on here in northern jersey...we typically ride a lot of rocks. But just like the flow trails, I'll be back to investigate them further.

Also, tell me more about this brewery. ?

JPark

I checked out the flow trails today, too. Pretty cool spot although the only experience I have with jump lines is at the Creek so these jumps felt extremely tight. But I think I just need a little more practice to get the rhythm? (Also have never ridden a pump track, either.)

Then I headed to the Nassau Trails for the first time. I didn't realize such smooth and flowy trails existed in the rock garden state. I'm still debating the excitement factor...I mean, most of us on here in northern jersey...we typically ride a lot of rocks. But just like the flow trails, I'll be back to investigate them further.

Also, tell me more about this brewery. ?
I agree with you 100% about the flow/jump trails.
I took two guys I ride parks with (Killington/Creek/Blue) the other day and we all felt the same way.
Too tight, zero margin for error. If you don't clear a jump you never get your speed back. No room to correct after a wonky landing.
The green trail has back to back doubles all over the place. That's fine having doubles on a more advanced trail but a green??
You can't really gradually progress on double jumps.

The first time I went there I saw 2 teenagers doing the first jump on the blue trail over and over. Do the jump, get off the bike and push back up. (they were clearing it) And I was wondering why they would be doing that when there is an entire jump trail in front of them. After riding the trails I realized that's the only jump with a clean take off and landing.

They are still a fun ride though!
I would classify them as a Linear Pump Track.

Xler8

Has anyone been able to ride either flow trail from top to bottom as “intended”? After checking them out the other day, I was scratching my head and wondering how you’re suppose to do it.

JPark

Has anyone been able to ride either flow trail from top to bottom as “intended”? After checking them out the other day, I was scratching my head and wondering how you’re suppose to do it.
I'm guessing the guys who built it!

pkovo

I agree with you 100% about the flow/jump trails.
I took two guys I ride parks with (Killington/Creek/Blue) the other day and we all felt the same way.
Too tight, zero margin for error. If you don't clear a jump you never get your speed back. No room to correct after a wonky landing.
The green trail has back to back doubles all over the place. That's fine having doubles on a more advanced trail but a green??
You can't really gradually progress on double jumps.

The first time I went there I saw 2 teenagers doing the first jump on the blue trail over and over. Do the jump, get off the bike and push back up. (they were clearing it) And I was wondering why they would be doing that when there is an entire jump trail in front of them. After riding the trails I realized that's the only jump with a clean take off and landing.

They are still a fun ride though!
I would classify them as a Linear Pump Track.

I think the rollers on the green are exactly that...rollers. Primarily meant to be pumped, but someone more advanced could probably get more creative with them. The tables on this trail I think are perfect for someone learning to jump and pretty damn fun for someone that's just "decent" at jumping...like me. When I ride the green it feels 100% natural and flowy.

The Blue on the other hand is above my pay grade, but I like that. So many doubles that I'm too much of a sissy to try...yet. I can't personally ride this one as it's intended...not even close, so it feels less flowy than green, but that just keeps me wanting to come back and try some more. I definitely plan to get to the point where I can ride it as intended. I saw a couple of younger guys that seemed to have it dialed, and it was impressive

I think "Linear Pump Track" is a pretty solid description...and personally I think that's great. At some point I'll drag my DJ over there, but the thought of pushing a bike up the hill rather than riding is a deterrent for me.

On a crummy note, I had to tell three different people to put on helmets yesterday. All three had their helmets there, but were choosing to NOT wear them. To be fair, only one was on the flow trail, and he said he forgot it at the bottom, which I believe was probably the case, but the other two were riding the pump track and their helmets were sitting on the picnic table.

If you see someone riding without a helmet, please say something, don't just look the other way.

pkovo

Oh, and the green is pretty awesome for younger kids testing the waters. Everything rolls really easy.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'd say I have 95% of the advanced side down , doubling all the rollers . That one turn w step up towards the bottom is just to small to get enough pop to land clean and some of the berms could definitely be taller more supported.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Gonna try heading out there from Monmouth County soon. Thinking an early AM (8AM-ish) weekday session will be a better bet for fewer trail users?

Last edited:
Top Bottom