Platform Pedal Reviews

trailtreker

Not sure if this forum is the best place for this thread, but I'm in the market to get a set of platform pedals and wanted to hear what the greater nj group thinks is the best.

I'm looking for platforms that really hold your foot, while not being overly large or heavy (is that too much to ask?). Would love to hear what you all think are the best in the market; expensive or cheap, what gets the job done?

J-Dro

I've had good luck with Wellgo MG-1 pedals. Relatively light for a platform pedal yet durable. The bearings are holding up well so far.

I also have a pair of Easton Flatboys that are bombproof but really heavy.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Drillium

I use these on my dirt jumper.

They are light and solid. They spin really well. I have never slipped a pedal.

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.drillium

drillium.jpg

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i use the primo tenderizers.

product_352485.jpg

i don't do anything really off-the-wall-crazy when i ride/jump and they have done great so far. i wear vans when i ride flats and i haven't had a slipped pedal - and the pedals are real comfortable. they were real easy on the wallet too. not sure about weight but i think they are relatively heavy, but considering the price i am happy.

don

I've had good luck with Wellgo MG-1 pedals. Relatively light for a platform pedal yet durable. The bearings are holding up well so far.

I also have a pair of Easton Flatboys that are bombproof but really heavy.

Second the MG-1's by Wellgo. Grippy, light, sealed bearings and not too expensive ($54 @ AEBike.com). I wouldn't want to slip a pedal with them so I use them just on my freeride rig.

PD1014.jpg

I also have Sun ZuZu's on my Union Street dj/park bike. They are very grippy and I removed a few pins as they have a ton. These have lasted me a LONG time. Good at gripping even with some dirt on your soles.

PD1850.jpg

FWIW, I've tried Primo's Tendorizors, Animal, and Odyseey Jim Celenskis. While all of them work well in dry conditions (skatepark/street) they are pretty scary when your shoe gets a little caked with mud/dirt.

I think overall the MG-1's will be the best choice - they're a really good pedal especially for the price.

trizz

Not sure if this forum is the best place for this thread, but I'm in the market to get a set of platform pedals and wanted to hear what the greater nj group thinks is the best.

I'm looking for platforms that really hold your foot, while not being overly large or heavy (is that too much to ask?). Would love to hear what you all think are the best in the market; expensive or cheap, what gets the job done?

try these out

http://www.brooklynmachineworks.com/parts.html

Ive been eyeing up the azonic 420 platform pedal and Twenty6 chromoly platform pedals. Twenty6 also has titanium pedals that weight 206grams for the pair! To bad there almost 300 dollars. lol

Spylab

My crew and I seem to fall back on Crank Brothers 50/50s or the Mosh pedals posted above. Both are great, with the extra expense and advantage going to Crank Bros for rebuildable internals (however, Dan's Comp sells those Mosh pedals so cheap it's almost silly not to have a second set)

And, while the Brooklyn Machine Works Shinburgers are like glue under your feet, they are HEAVY and probably better relegated to the DH circuit.

bruce.b

Dickwad

You didn't say what you're using them for. DH? XC?

I only use flats on my XC bikes. Excellent expensive pedals are Kona Wah Wah's. Thin, light and grippy. Excellent inexpensive one's are Wellgo B-103's. I like thin profile pedals. Another important thing for me is the ramp in the rear. For XC I'd prefer it not be there. I won't use pedals with a big ramp because then the back of the platform is too short which really bothers me.

bruce.b

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i made a move from the tenderizers to wellgos. they are working great with 5.10s. not very blingy but they get the job done - for x/c use that is.

Top Bottom