brakes

walter

Fourth Party
How much of an improvement will I see if I upgrade my brakes. I guess I'm used to hydro discs, but at times these rim brakes seem a little shakey. My bike has 105 levers with the stock Cannondale calipers, would it be worth it to upgrade to something else? Can I use the same levers with a better grade caliper?

thanks

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Agree on the pads (though no idea on Kool Stop). I have 105s and they're fine. I would imagine of all the things to upgrade, brakes would be at the bottom of the list.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
They have already.

don't forget, when companies copy/improve on their competitors designs, the consumer is the one who benifits....

on topic: does the feel of the brakes change much, enough to justify around $150 per wheel? Or $200 for the set of the mavics?

Last edited:

The Kalmyk

True indeed Kevin BUT...Two companies with almost identical products:(...Why not Shimano do something totally different than Srams (the shadow derailluer is a perfect example)...IMO when one company copies the other you limit the consumer choices...I'd rather choose a product based on functionality than name...Hence me falling in love with the Shadow derailluer vs an XO derailluer:D

BiknBen

on topic: does the feel of the brakes change much, enough to justify around $150 per wheel? Or $200 for the set of the mavics?

IMO, any of the current Dual-Pivot brake designs are fabulous. Changing pads may make a difference but all the current brakes should be able to stop the bike in all conditions.

Single-Pivot Caliper
Sidepull_caliper_brakes-1.jpg

Dual-Pivot Caliper
Dual-pivot_calliper_brakes_.jpg

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Your images don't show Ben - it may be Wikipedia source issues blocking if the referrer isn't fromt he same domain. Open-source my ass.

Walter - it's also possible you have them adjusted too soft. I ride totally average 105 stuff and have ridden in rain, snow, slush, and have never once thought to upgrade my brakes.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Yeah, I have to say that I've very rarely wished for more braking power the road bike, and that includes some pretty aggressive descending (Fiddlers Elbow, for example). As Ben notes, modern dual pivots are really powerful.

I also don't think that "upgrading" within the same product line will do much. I have Dura Ace brakes on my Moots, and one el-cheapo Shimano dual pivot on the front of my fixie, and I don't notice much of a difference in front braking power.

Good pads and proper adjustment should be all you need.

walter

Fourth Party
I was just wondering if the quality of the calipers, Cannondale house brand, Tecktro prob. had anything to do with it. I have read various reviews on RBR and alot of people have dumped the Cdale brand in favor for Shimano.

I guess I could just look into some adjustments and some pads.

ArmyOfNone

I think they may have dumped them for the bling factor not so much the function factor.

Id say save the cash or drop it into the drivetrain if the money is burning a whole in your pocket.

Top Bottom