New to the site, also seeking input

SD_40

Hello all...been poking around here for a while...just not finally registered. I decided to pick the bike back up after a few years of not touching it. I used to have a job where I moved around a lot and got a lot of exercise, now I have one where I sit a lot. My free time is pretty limited so I go ride when I can grab a couple of hours here and there. Hopefully I'll have more freedom soon but for now it is what it is. I have an older gt aggressor at the moment. I mean, it works....but at the same time I'm looking to upgrade. I'm a stones throw away from Jake's branch, which I find myself at often just because it's close. The most I would likely do is go to Allaire....haven't been in years but it's still close.
This brings me to trying to figure out what bike I’m going to get next....which is where any input would help out. I only want one bike. I’ve been looking at fat bikes, full suspension, plus bikes, and hard tails.....just not sure what direction to go. Fat full time? Meet halfway with a plus bike...stick with a hard tail since the trails I normally ride aren’t anything crazy.....or will a full suspension bike be counterproductive to pedal of these trails? I see a mix of all those whenever I go. I know I need to ride each once to get the full experience, but I’m not sure when that’s going to happen. Figured I’d check and see what you guys think...you know the area and the trails as well. I would definitely buy used and have around $1000 give or take to play with.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Welcome!

I've gone to nearly full-time fat. It makes me smile, and i can swap out wheels if i wanted to do some sort of 29+ thing.
You'd have to put in a serious test drive tho - it isn't for everyone. My fat bike is in the 27lb region, so not the beast some of
them are. Take a look over here. https://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/framed-carbon-wolftrax-for-sale.48936/

Just sold off my b+ fs frame. it was a great confidence booster, easy to pedal, and also took 29r wheels for a different feel.
Def a do everything bike - especially up north in the rocks.

You might be able to get something in a hardtail brand new/last year's model in that range. Might be nice to have a warranty,
and work with a shop.

Have fun, ride what ya got for now! spring is coming, along with the demo days.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’d think something like a salsa timberjack that can run 27.5 plus or 29 might be the thing. I’ve had some sort of fat bike for years now and consider it my “B” bike. That said there lots of folks who ride nothing else.
A modern full squish works pretty well but does add service and complexity.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Howdy! If you live near Jakes Branch, and are not planning on riding anything further then Allaire. Look for a good fat bike.
A fat bike will make it easier/funner to access a lot more of the sandy trails and sand roads in your area.

Last edited:

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I would look at that Tallboy that's on sale if you are a M and over the missing parts from your GT

SD_40

I would look at that Tallboy that's on sale if you are a M and over the missing parts from your GT

I saw it. I’m an Xl though.

For those that have ridden them... you guys think plus tire compatible bikes strike a good medium between fat tires and regular width?

Also... is there a shop that exists close to ocean county that will do rentals? I don’t personally know anyone who owns a fat bike either

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
have an older gt aggressor at the moment. I mean, it works....but at

would definitely buy used and have around $1000 give or take to play with.

Your story is very common, someone getting back into mtbing who wants to upgrade but don't really know what's out there and what you want.

Do not buy a bike for a year. Everyone who responds to this thread will tell you what they ride and why they like it. It took them awhile to form their opinion, they owned previous bikes and it took them some time to figure out what they like. What people like to ride varies greatly. Do not let anyone tell you what bike you should be on. It's a learning process, take your time, unless you can afford to buy a new bike every 6 months until you stumble on the right one.

I do not recommend buying used. Bikes break. When they break you need to be the original owner to get a warrenty. If you have the discretionary income and don't care about a warrenty, then used can be a good deal. Also most guys jump at a used bike because they can afford it but they learn that it's not the bike for them.

Belmar Bike shop is popular in your area. Alot of folks these days are riding full suspension with 120-130 travel(Santa Cruz or Pivot) anything more would be overkill for Allaire, but some people like overkill. Personally I ride a rigid SS there, but that's an acquired taste, like a fat bike.

Ride your GT, a lot. Spend time on the trails and be able to define what type of riding you like. At this point you need to look around and learn. Do not make the mistake a lot of folks do, which is to rush into a new bike purchase because they think there old bike is holding them back from having fun. Eventually when you do get a new bike you will be a more fit and a better educated consumer. Ride with people, ask questions and keep it fun:)

TimBay

Your story is very common, someone getting back into mtbing who wants to upgrade but don't really know what's out there and what you want.

Do not buy a bike for a year. Everyone who responds to this thread will tell you what they ride and why they like it. It took them awhile to form their opinion, they owned previous bikes and it took them some time to figure out what they like. What people like to ride varies greatly. Do not let anyone tell you what bike you should be on. It's a learning process, take your time, unless you can afford to buy a new bike every 6 months until you stumble on the right one.

I do not recommend buying used. Bikes break. When they break you need to be the original owner to get a warrenty. If you have the discretionary income and don't care about a warrenty, then used can be a good deal. Also most guys jump at a used bike because they can afford it but they learn that it's not the bike for them.

Belmar Bike shop is popular in your area. Alot of folks these days are riding full suspension with 120-130 travel(Santa Cruz or Pivot) anything more would be overkill for Allaire, but some people like overkill. Personally I ride a rigid SS there, but that's an acquired taste, like a fat bike.

Ride your GT, a lot. Spend time on the trails and be able to define what type of riding you like. At this point you need to look around and learn. Do not make the mistake a lot of folks do, which is to rush into a new bike purchase because they think there old bike is holding them back from having fun. Eventually when you do get a new bike you will be a more fit and a better educated consumer. Ride with people, ask questions and keep it fun:)
Greatest advice ever! That GT will be fine on the local trails. Go to demos this summer and ride a bunch and that'll help you make a more educated decision. If it helps, I've been riding and researching for over a year and still am not sure what bike I want to upgrade to.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, as much as I hate to agree with Iggy
947B0DBA-692B-4F03-B330-20C30D2E88F0.png

qclabrat

Welcome @SD_40
Sage advice from all esp Iggy. Don't jump into a new for you bike. The choices now are so varied and you may find yourself driving north at 5am to catch crack of dawn rides in the summer. You're the 4-5 new member mentioning riding at Allaire. Someone should start a support group and give these folks a proper tour of Allaire or Hartshorne.

@Tim @TimBay you guys interested in hosting the first official OOS event in the coming weeks?

TimBay

Welcome @SD_40
Sage advice from all esp Iggy. Don't jump into a new for you bike. The choices now are so varied and you may find yourself driving north at 5am to catch crack of dawn rides in the summer. You're the 4-5 new member mentioning riding at Allaire. Someone should start a support group and give these folks a proper tour of Allaire or Hartshorne.

@Tim @TimBay you guys interested in hosting the first official OOS event in the coming weeks?
I can give tours of hartshorne, but I just rode allaire for the first time last week. @pooriggy mtbnj monthly rides hasn't done allaire yet, just saying.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I can give tours of hartshorne, but I just rode allaire for the first time last week. @pooriggy mtbnj monthly rides hasn't done allaire yet, just saying.

sept was allaire for the group ride series. . . .

TimBay

sept was allaire for the group ride series. . . .

Errrr, That was so 2019? Lol.

JohnnyWestood

I concur with keeping your GT for now. I rushed the process and while I wound up with a great bike, I think that another year of riding would have seen me go a slightly different route. If you have any piece of you that wants to ride more aggressive trails I would go full suspension. Somewhere around 120 in the back would be great everywhere. I’m in North Jersey and I know guys ride hardtails here, but I have no desire to punish myself and I’m not good enough to even try.
I would also seriously consider a used bike once you’re ready though. Lots of people just have to have the latest and greatest. These bikes are engineered to be ridden hard on ridiculous terrain. They can take a lot more than most people give them.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I agree that Iggy's advice is bang on. I started on an Aggressor (actually still have it as a beater/rain bike). I made the mistake of buying the wrong bike too quickly and regretting it just to sell it and buy another one within a year. I like my current ride but after almost 3 years with it I find that my wants/needs/abilities/perceptions are changing.

That brings me to a serious question for the seasoned vets. How is a new rider to know what kind of bike they are really after? In my personal case it has taken 4 riding seasons, 3 mountain bikes, and a road bike to begin to discern the differences between the types of bikes and in what situations they really come into their own.

Welcome @SD_40

I am always down to give tours of Hartshorne and Huber when my schedule permits. I'll try and keep this on my mind and maybe try and set up a group ride in the next couple weeks.

Top Bottom