New Feature: Trailforks Integration at the park level

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
As i continue to align my goals and accomplishments with the CEO's overall direction and industry trends....???

Trailforks has some code snippets to integrate trail conditions on other sites.
We (@Bleeder suggestion as part of a higher level effort) are experimenting with this for Six Mile Run and Allaire -
It appears as a right sidebar "widget" on wide displays,
or underneath the thread listings on narrow displays (i may try to get it above.)

As you can see, it is trail, rather than park oriented - and the results are only as good as the data input.
Trailforks needs some clean-up for duplicates, if this works out, i'll reach out to them and find out how
we/JORBA can take control of that. In case you are not familiar with the industry term for wonky data, it is GIGO.
We take education seriously.

Not all parks are available, and they have no "last observation" date.
If you want your park integrated into the experiment, let me know.
A link to the trailforks page would help move that along.

Tell me if you like it, or hate it. Maybe somewhere in-between.
Would you prefer our own conditions display, updated locally? (i can resurrect @Norm's conditions widget)
Park vs trail oriented?
Other suggestions?

The JORBA website uses a different format (and different by park) - take a look at 6MR and Allaire on there for additional ideas.

Here is a preview, so you can't comment without seeing it ;)

Screenshot 2020-02-29 at 12.42.03.png

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
As i continue to align my goals and accomplishments with the CEO's overall direction and industry trends....???

Trailforks has some code snippets to integrate trail conditions on other sites.
We (@Bleeder suggestion as part of a higher level effort) are experimenting with this for Six Mile Run and Allaire -
It appears as a right sidebar "widget" on wide displays,
or underneath the thread listings on narrow displays (i may try to get it above.)

As you can see, it is trail, rather than park oriented - and the results are only as good as the data input.
Trailforks needs some clean-up for duplicates, if this works out, i'll reach out to them and find out how
we/JORBA can take control of that. In case you are not familiar with the industry term for wonky data, it is GIGO.
We take education seriously.

Not all parks are available, and they have no "last observation" date.
If you want your park integrated into the experiment, let me know.
A link to the trailforks page would help move that along.

Tell me if you like it, or hate it. Maybe somewhere in-between.
Would you prefer our own conditions display, updated locally? (i can resurrect @Norm's conditions widget)
Park vs trail oriented?
Other suggestions?

The JORBA website uses a different format (and different by park) - take a look at 6MR and Allaire on there for additional ideas.

Here is a preview, so you can't comment without seeing it ;)

View attachment 120430
Does it show up in portrait mode on mobile?

Patrick

Staff member
Count my vote for Norms widget. It had a date and time stamp, and if say a tree was down or other pertinent info users could add that.

I think this would live in our "threads" - with the report right next to it. - i'm leaning this way. Maybe make it easier in the forum to submit a report?

Long live the code that Jimmy probably destroyed!

i've got some of it. cant find the css to make it look nice.

that is an awesome feature. ill try to remember to update conditions on trailforks more often.

this is the thought - cause it is there. i'm not sure if more people go there than here for info??

I still don't like the trail vs park part. I suppose for some areas
it makes sense - all 6MR is a disaster, if 1 trail is. Wildcat can be flooded at the bottom, and no problem up top.
The answer may be to sub-divide the parks (or group the trails??) Or official reporters (built into TF)

If you click on the colored dot it has a date.

1583090012415.png

Last edited:

02camaro

I think this would live in our "threads" - with the report right next to it. - i'm leaning this way. Maybe make it easier in the forum to submit a report?

i've got some of it. cant find the css to make it look nice.

this is the thought - cause it is there. i'm not sure if more people go there than here for info??

I still don't like the trail vs park part. I suppose for some areas
it makes sense - all 6MR is a disaster, if 1 trail is. Wildcat can be flooded at the bottom, and no problem up top.
The answer may be to sub-divide the parks (or group the trails??) Or official reporters (built into TF)

View attachment 120460
i come here first, alot of time conditions arent updated on TF in a timely manner. here if someone hasnt posted recently you can just ask and you can get an update, or at least insight from locals.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The biggest problem with TF is the whole GIGO thing but in most cases there’s no garbage at all going in. NINO?

Additionally you need to have an account to post conditions so you’ll never post that they were bad due to The Great Internet Colonoscopy that awaits if you said you rode Six Mile today. So TF will have either good reports or none at all.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
For each park, you need to pick one trail that's conditions are indicative of the conditions overall at the park. Then you need 1-3 locals of each park that will commit to keeping conditions of that trail updated in Trailforks.

Patrick

Staff member
For each park, you need to pick one trail that's conditions are indicative of the conditions overall at the park. Then you need 1-3 locals of each park that will commit to keeping conditions of that trail updated in Trailforks.

so your saying we should have our own and provide that to the community.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
so your saying we should have our own and provide that to the community.

Sure. To be honest, I feel like this is all overkill. I think most people that care know if their local spot is good or not. We have a thread for each park where people can ask about unfamiliar parks. People ask if the park will be good and somebody usually replies.

Patrick

Staff member
Sure. To be honest, I feel like this is all overkill. I think most people that care know if their local spot is good or not. We have a thread for each park where people can ask about unfamiliar parks. People ask if the park will be good and somebody usually replies.

i believe asking is a barrier to knowing.

Top Bottom