Boost wheel in non boost steel frame...also, why are noodles so expensive?

serviceguy

Leo, I still have the stans wheel that was on the bike. It’s XD though.

I am firmly in the Shimano / DT Swiss Ratchet camp, as I can mix and match among different wheel sets that way and eventually upgrade to Shimano 12s .

I am not familiar with that combo, but thanks.

I guess for now I'll stick to slimmer tires I already have, the non boost XT/Stan's I originally sourced for the 'gravel' version of the bike are just fine with 2.3" DHF/DHRII, I guess the 'gravel' experience will have to wait...

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The wider rim would have allowed me to run 2.4" Wide Trail tires which has a little bit more volume to it as opposed to the 'regular' 2.3" one.
FWIW, we are talking literally mm here, not sure you can visibly see the difference in tire bulge between the rim difference and casing difference.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I dunno, sounds like from your first post you can use it with a boost axle. Depending on how much "persuasion" you're really talking about.

I have an El Mariachi and don't find the rear stiff enough that I find it surprising you found it fit. Grinding down the end-caps isn't the best way just for the fact that it'll throw alignment for the disc and the gears out.

Personally I'd find a wheel/hub that's correct. At least in the interim. Aren't people throwing away 135/142 wheelsets now? :)

Also, if it matters I think I have a lot of clearance with a 2.35 Nobby Nic on an Arch rim. I wouldn't mind a bit more volume just for the cushioning. Frame is vertically stiff...

serviceguy

I dunno, sounds like from your first post you can use it with a boost axle. Depending on how much "persuasion" you're really talking about.

I have an El Mariachi and don't find the rear stiff enough that I find it surprising you found it fit. Grinding down the end-caps isn't the best way just for the fact that it'll throw alignment for the disc and the gears out.

Personally I'd find a wheel/hub that's correct. At least in the interim. Aren't people throwing away 135/142 wheelsets now? :)

Also, if it matters I think I have a lot of clearance with a 2.35 Nobby Nic on an Arch rim. I wouldn't mind a bit more volume just for the cushioning. Frame is vertically stiff...
Yes, that’s exactly what I did. I have a set of older Stan’s Flow Ex that I bought off @Magic and they will do for now. I live under the delusion that I would have time to use multiple bikes and have multiple setup for each when the reality is I can’t even find the time to ride one!
And cushioning is exactly what I was going after, this being a fully rigid bike.

Last edited:

qclabrat

Yes, that’s exactly what I did. I gave a set of older Stan’s Flow Ex that I bought off @Magic and they will do for now. I leave under the delusion that I would have time to use multiple bikes and have multiple setup for each when the reality is I can’t even find the time to ride one!
And cushioning is exactly what I was going after, this being a fully rigid bike.
What was wrong with the old Flows? Seems perfect for the tire size you're using

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Nothing, I wanted to use a bigger tire for cushioning and bigger volume/lower pressure, which would have been a stretch with the flows.
I know my Flow MK3 is 29 inner. What the inner on the EX? 27?
NVM... just looked it up. 25.5 for the EX

serviceguy

This will be your "fast" bike no? 2.2-2.3 are plenty big. Btw, what gearing will this be for SS
I am not going single speed yet, I may move the group off the Mukky over to this while I get the frame fixed.

Ah, ah, ah...fast bike?!?!?

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nothing, I wanted to use a bigger tire for cushioning and bigger volume/lower pressure, which would have been a stretch with the flows.
Cush core xc. problem solved I've been using them for the last 8 months or so fairly easy to mount and improved ride , traction , rim protection is well worth the slight weight increase

serviceguy

Cush core xc. problem solved I've been using them for the last 8 months or so fairly easy to mount and improved ride , traction , rim protection is well worth the slight weight increase
Oohhh, another gadget to buy!?! Thank you for the heads up, I'll look into it. BTW, what are the specs on that DT350 you mentioned yesterday?

P.S. Ouch, $150 for a set?

bergsnj

I am firmly in the Shimano / DT Swiss Ratchet camp, as I can mix and match among different wheel sets that way and eventually upgrade to Shimano 12s .
the 12 speed shimano stuff requires the new micro spline driver right?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's

The feedback I wanted. I've been really debating going that route as I find it hard to get that sweet spot of air pressure for traction/stiffness/plushness.

Annoying a pool noodle is so expensive.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I have been curious about running these, maybe just start with the rear.

Top Bottom