Hitch Rack

Engignar

Anyone know of a local place that installs hidden hitch type receivers in NNJ? I may be picking up a BMW Z4 in the near future so I've got to go the hitch method. I have not been able to find any of the hidden hitch type products made for that car however, so I am thinking I need to go the custom route and am looking for recommendations.

I'm also going to be needing a hitch mount rack if anybody has one they are letting go of....

BiknBen

I may be picking up a BMW Z4 in the near future so I've got to go the hitch method. I have not been able to find any of the hidden hitch type products made for that car however, so I am thinking I need to go the custom route and am looking for recommendations.

You are talking complete customization and fabrication. I don't know of any source for that. How bad do you want to carry bikes on that Z4? It's gonna be costly. :eek:

Engignar

My options are either find a way to do it on the Z4 or buy a beater pickup truck...the Z4 rack will be cheaper and more fun. I have been able to find some other people online who have had it done at local shops, the question is what shop around here can do it.

TonyC

My options are either find a way to do it on the Z4 or buy a beater pickup truck...the Z4 rack will be cheaper and more fun. I have been able to find some other people online who have had it done at local shops, the question is what shop around here can do it.

I had a trailer hitch installed on a BMW 3 series by Yorktrailer in Butler (Rte23).
http://www.yorktrailer.com/contact.htm

Give 'um a call.. I'm sure they would know if you can install a hitch on a Z4.
They've been in business for a long time.

They drilled holes in wheel well and placed flat metal cross pieces under spare tire. I used it to trailer a wave runner and had no problems. Not sure on the tounge weight limit, but should be able to hold 2bikes and rack.

Good luck! Btw, nice ride.

al415

Banned
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This set up was installed at a Master Hitch www.masterhitch.com location. But any decent hitch installer should be able to get it done.

Engignar

I found that thread online as well, it was basically a custom mounting job with a hidden hitch type receiver from some guy in Wisconsin I think.

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't want to do a trunk mount because it is a pain to mount and dismount and I don't want to scratch the car up.

al415

Banned
When I was looking at the M-Coupe I was looking for similar solutions. Brian's set up (pictured) was the cleanest I've seen. I believe it was a regular hitch just installed vertically. He's running a Swagman "XC" these days.

DD-

Try Johnson Truck Accessories on Rt 46 in Dover, they've installed 5-6 hitches for me over the past 20 years. I've always been satisfied with the quality of the work.

DD

THATmanMANNY

hey. know this is your thread but I also have a question pertaining to hitch racks...

-where can I go buy an adapter to convert my 2" hitch to a 1 1/4" hitch to fit 1 1/4" bike racks?

THATmanMANNY

what to do, what to do

Soooo I got a 1 1/4" hitch rack but my car is 2". I called Saris to see if they sell anything. They said I can swap the hitch part on the rack for $75 (with shipping) with a part they mail me. They said they don't recommend adapter cause it takes away secureness and stability... but $75! When an adapter cost $30...:hmmm:

I'm a structural engineer and sure I know it takes away the stability and ultimately increase shear stress.... yada yada yada, but what are your opinions?
Anyone experience such a castrophy where rack failed due to using an adapter?

$75. Damn I might as well shell out the mooooola for a 2" rack for new but I bought the used Saris because I got a slamming deal on it. It's the cycleon model and he threw in the 2 bike add on.

gtluke

The Moped
harbor freight has those adapters and they have opened a few stores in NJ recently.
<3 made in china

BiknBen

What to do. What to do...

Start your own thread! :rolleyes:

I might as well shell out the mooooola for a 2" rack for new but I bought the used Saris because I got a slamming deal on it.

Doesn't sound like a great deal if it doesn't fit your vehicle. The $30 converter is going to extend the hitch out 6" or more. Many people complain that it looks like crap when your bikes are ten feet behind the car.

The Sarris adapter may be a sleeve that fits OVER the frame and then goes in the receiver. If that is the case, then it is worth the extra money. You will get a tighter fit and no extension.

TonyC

Soooo I got a 1 1/4" hitch rack but my car is 2". I called Saris to see if they sell anything. They said I can swap the hitch part on the rack for $75 (with shipping) with a part they mail me. They said they don't recommend adapter cause it takes away secureness and stability... but $75! When an adapter cost $30...:hmmm:

I'm a structural engineer and sure I know it takes away the stability and ultimately increase shear stress.... yada yada yada, but what are your opinions?
Anyone experience such a castrophy where rack failed due to using an adapter?

$75. Damn I might as well shell out the mooooola for a 2" rack for new but I bought the used Saris because I got a slamming deal on it. It's the cycleon model and he threw in the 2 bike add on.

I'd just go this route:
http://www.etrailer.com/pc-HA~HT02.htm

Just remember to, also, order a locking pin.

Not sure about the tongue weight limits, but usually a 2" receiver has a 300lb capacity. So even if you cut it in half it's still 150lb limit. Plenty for rack & bikes.

Top Bottom