LUNGS and cardio

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Funny thing,
I just re-read Cthulhu's dissertation on VO2 max and 85% of it made perfect sense.
Could it be that the stroke of midnight is where my biorhythmic point of clarity and whole-consciousness begins?
Could it be I've pushed my VO2 max by running this late?
Or did someone slip something in my apple crisp?:hmmm:

RNG1

There's a lot of techy info up there and I am sure that it is pretty valid although I have tried to take a more scientific approach to training and I never keep it together for some reason.I did notice something this year for me that may help so I'll share.During last winter Iwas taking a great spin class early morning when I couldn't get anything else in and Iat first thought it was better than doing nothing, As soon as the weather got nice and there was more sunlight I stopped that and did more road I noticed that although I got stronger riding road I seemed to lose something that made me feel faster off road earlier in the season,Granted Idid have my hand in a cast for most of the summer but I rode the road through it all.(Here' the actual point) I went back to the spin class this week due to the lack of.sunlight and was really surprised at how much I had slipped off and it became really obvious to me that there was a major part of my training that I guess was not hitting as efficiently on the road.Of course it alsi depends on the instructor, there is this one woman who is a monster who RUNS 100 mi events who gives a great class where I have taken others that felt useless

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
I find the road to be like a vacation. If i spend too much time on the tarmac i get sloppy on the mtb.You guys just gotta ride farther w/ less stops when in the woods...........

Kmoodymz3

Best way to increase VO2 max is intervals. Just riding hard will help but it isn't as efficient as doing intervals. Yes if you want to improve it takes work, but if you want to have fun then just go have fun

Find a hill that takes you 4-6 min to climb. I like Grand Tour Trail in Hartshorne, the hill that climbs up to the paved road but do go to the road, take the left and go all the way up. Alternately, start on Hartshorne road by the pond and take the gravel road up. Less technical and a little shorter but still a good place to do hill intervals.

Ok do this climb 4-6 times with a 5 min rest between each climb. Goal is to hit close to max HR at the end, but do not go out so hard that you are at max in the first 30 sec it will not be possible to do all the intervals if you do.

You can also do this on the road, try doing it into a head wind at Sandy Hook.

Do this once a week and you will see significant improvement.

NJ Jess

spin

There's a lot of techy info up there and I am sure that it is pretty valid although I have tried to take a more scientific approach to training and I never keep it together for some reason.I did notice something this year for me that may help so I'll share.During last winter Iwas taking a great spin class early morning when I couldn't get anything else in and Iat first thought it was better than doing nothing, As soon as the weather got nice and there was more sunlight I stopped that and did more road I noticed that although I got stronger riding road I seemed to lose something that made me feel faster off road earlier in the season,Granted Idid have my hand in a cast for most of the summer but I rode the road through it all.(Here' the actual point) I went back to the spin class this week due to the lack of.sunlight and was really surprised at how much I had slipped off and it became really obvious to me that there was a major part of my training that I guess was not hitting as efficiently on the road.Of course it alsi depends on the instructor, there is this one woman who is a monster who RUNS 100 mi events who gives a great class where I have taken others that felt useless

I do a spin class once a week too. For me, it's just about weight control. I think spin is just fitness and really has nothing to do with biking. Case in point,...a women in my class has been a member for 3 years, she tells me she got a road bike and wanted to go riding. She got on and in a few pedals proceeded to fall over. She nearly broke her wrist, she tell me. Then says, " Ya'know,....spinning is nothing like real biking." ( I could only laugh inside,.....)

Top Bottom