my epic hates front rims

gtluke

The Moped
not even 2 months, taco #2
first one was nate taking a burmed turn and somehow it just folded in half. then i put on my old rockhopper rim and i tried to roll down a 6ft cliff at mahlon last night and it folded in half and i wound up looking at the stars.

annoying!

380220000_oTnuy-L.jpg

gtluke

The Moped
its an alexrims POS
it wasn't really a drop. it was pretty much straight down but rolled in and out. i don't know what happened but i got to the bottom of it and suddenly i was upside down.
i'm pretty positive i would never have tried it during the day. but with my helmet light i was superman :D

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
its an alexrims POS
it wasn't really a drop. it was pretty much straight down but rolled in and out. i don't know what happened but i got to the bottom of it and suddenly i was upside down.
i'm pretty positive i would never have tried it during the day. but with my helmet light i was superman :D

I think that drop was higher than 6 feet, I dont know, seemed like it.

Anyway, I think you were just so far back that when you hit the transition you lost the front end for a second, skipped and landed with the wheel turned. Im not giving you crap because its dumb luck that I didnt do the exact same thing. That was fun though, good old peer pressure making you do stupid things. Funny I never saw that drop there in the daylight.

Anyone know the drop we are talking about? On the stone gate trail at Mahlon. Near the end of the trail if you are riding it from the wall towards the pond.

gtluke

The Moped
one step ahead of you.
these were my upgrade rims from my rockhopper, which i still need to sell. now i'm selling it with the 1 set of straight and good stock rims left.
but i dislike shimano hubs so this is only temporary.
380300216_yfEzY-XL.jpg

Nathan Crisman

Nice work!:D The way utah explained the situation to me, seems you bent that wheel in the same manor I bent the first one. Not an "impact drop" in the sense that most people think about "6foot drop". That was a super steep incline but your weren't jumping off it, but trying to ride down it. When you hit the bottom transition it was just too hard and the bars got away from ya or defelcted off a rock and turned 90*. (one grip pointing at your stomach and the other grip pointing forward)

Seems forward momentum with the wheel turned 90* to the direction your going + tire traction = taco'd wheel and tire pulled off the rim.

As in the force was parallell with the axle due to losing the handlebars, not perpendicular to the axle.

Dropping off a typical "6ft drop" puts the force perp (90*) to the axle (after the fork bottoms out)

Make sense?

I don't think ANY bicycle rim of any quality is going to take a massive side load like that no matter how much money you spend.

Last edited:
Top Bottom