When are you running?

scotth

When does jogging become running? I run/jog on a treadmill for 1mile at 4.5 mph, then walk a quater mile at 3.0mpg then finish the 2nd mile at 5.0mph. I would like to have more endurance during a race. I do good at the start then a little ways in I'm burnt for a while until I catch my breath. I'm going to try to do this 3 times a week, but what else could I do? Does it help at all that the treadmill is on the full incline? Thanks

Regards,

Scott

rocknrollgirl

If you are a new runner, I would ditch the incline and just start out with the treadmill flat. Running is a lot harder on your joints than cycling and you should start a program slowly, even if you have been cycling for a while.

Most running programs start out as a walk/run. Warm up for 5 mins or so, and then proceed to run for two mins and then walk for two mins, for a total of 20 mins to start.

If you google running programs for beginner's, or Couch to 5k, you will get tons of info.

As far as what is a "jog and what is a "run", it is all in the eye of the beholder.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would ride your bike more for endurance during races.
I used to run all the time. I did a bunch of 5k's and used to finish in under 25 minutes. I was in decent shape. But when I started riding I realized you use totally different muscles.
The last time on a treadmill was right before I decided to take my dusty Trek out to chimney r0ck and see what this mtb'ing stuff was all about. I have not looked back.

If you want to be a better runner, check out http://www.runnersworld.com
They have a ton of training plans, tips, and other things to keep you running faster and further.

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Question. Are you talking about a bike race or running race?

walter

Fourth Party
More time in the saddle equals better endurance. Skip the running and ride the bike more.

scotth

Sorry about that. A bike race, Ringwood and Rumble in The Jungle were my first races. I have a 1year old at home so it's tough to ride a few times during the week. When I get home from work around 4, I hang with my wife and son. The treadmill was the first thing I thought of because it's right downstairs. Do most people without a roadbike just ride the MTB on the street?

Regards,

Scott

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you're time limited, do whatever you can do. But for sure, riding helps riding most.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
riding really is the best thing. i've tried the running route, the stair master route, the doing 100 squats a few times a week route and none of them help as much as just riding a bike. i do run every once in awhile but usually only when i'm pressed for time or if it's just not riding weather, aka raining or something (i know, i know...). one thing you could do is invest in a trainer. it's just about as mindless (and mind numbing) as a treadmill but more cycling specific.

as for the bike, i rode a convered mtb (aka old mtb with road slicks) for well, a long, long time. if it hadn't been for a certain set of circumstances this past jan where i was able to get an unreal deal on a road bike, i'd still be riding that bike. in short, pedal. it doesn't much matter what, just do it, and do it often.

alex_k

if it is raining i'm running on a treadmill with 8 degree incline... it is harder than riding my SS at 6 Mile.

THATmanMANNY

Like RocknRoll...

if you're new to running try doing some research. They have a ton of great stuff for training at runnersworld.com for beginners or people getting ready for marathons+.

I run a few times a week. I treat it like road biking. It's very easy to just step outside and run and not have to drive to a trail. As far as biking vs. running. Biking technique/form is only improved by biking. You won't get better at it if your out of the saddle, but I will argue that running will not hurt your endurance and can help. I came from running and if I didn't come from running I don't think I would have the stamina I have now. Being a good runner involves cross training days where you are doing agility exercises or doing a non-impact activity. So I would also "assume" that cross training while biking has it's benefits too like working the muscles you rarely or don't use when you are in the saddle. If you're looking to loose weight and get a better core running does the job better. However, you have to take into factor your intensity level too... if you are doing biking vs. running.

ellbiddy

I would ride your bike more for endurance during races.
I used to run all the time. I did a bunch of 5k's and used to finish in under 25 minutes. I was in decent shape. But when I started riding I realized you use totally different muscles.
The last time on a treadmill was right before I decided to take my dusty Trek out to chimney r0ck and see what this mtb'ing stuff was all about. I have not looked back.

If you want to be a better runner, check out http://www.runnersworld.com
They have a ton of training plans, tips, and other things to keep you running faster and further.

Not to poke fun, but a 25 minute (rounding up) 5k is pretty slow so you're not going to build much endurance that way. It's loosely just over 8 minutes, a good running pace for a 5k is around 7 minutes per mile while competitive is at or below 6. Even if you do get it down to 6 it's a piss poor translation over to cycling. Look at lance...he was lance armstrong and still finished far from first in the boston marathon (700th from 1st actually ;p)

I try to run 3 times a week with my (now stolen) garmin forerunner which logs pace/distance and shoot for about 7:30 on light days and about 6:40 for harder days (which is by no means "fast"). But I'm a clyde so I have to carry my lumbering body up and down those hills. I forgot what site it was but asics put out some running training schedule for your current speed and desired distance. Might want to look at that.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
if you don't have time in the afternoon/evenings to ride, try and ride at lunch or before work. Once you get in the habit it isn't that bad. You can just ride your mtb on the road and eventually get a road bike if you like it. I usually ride a few times during the week at lunch and at least 1 or 2 times before work.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not to poke fun, but a 25 minute (rounding up) 5k is pretty slow so you're not going to build much endurance that way. It's loosely just over 8 minutes, a good running pace for a 5k is around 7 minutes per mile while competitive is at or below 6. Even if you do get it down to 6 it's a piss poor translation over to cycling. Look at lance...he was lance armstrong and still finished far from first in the boston marathon (700th from 1st actually ;p)

Your bringing up Lance Armstrong? :hmmm:

I went form just quitting smoking after 10 years and not being able to run a quarter mile without stopping..... to a 25 minute 5k in a little less then a year and I am pretty proud of that.....

I never said I was competitive. Sorry if I was sounding all Chuck Norris like :D...

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
I don't enjoy running....in fact, IMHO it was made obsolete with the domestication of the horse (i.e. - when it was desired to cover a large distance more quickly, running was no longer necessary).

That being said, I hit the treadmill and do some squats every now and then when I am unable to ride. I find it doesn't improve my riding fitiness, but it keeps me from losing base fitness and strength.

Of course, I run slow, but enough to keep my heart and breathing in the training range.

Top Bottom