Squeaky Front Brake

bucknejo

I have a squeaky front brake although it only really squeaks when the pads are fully engaged. Any ideas what else I can check besides:
  • lightly sanding the brake pads
  • ensuring there is enough meat on the pads after lightly sanding!
  • cleaning the rotor with brake cleaner and lint free cloth
  • checking the rotor width to ensure at least 1.5mm
All of the above check out. Any ideas besides lighting the thing on fire and starting over?

Try pads with a different compound. On my Hope brakes, the sintered compound pads seem to be quieter. Different compounds have different performance and service life, though.

Any ideas besides lighting the thing on fire and starting over?

Funny you should mention that...

In all seriousness though, it could be contaminated pads and sometimes spraying then down with alcohol and lighting them on fire can burn off any oils. Doesn't always work but it's worth a shot.

I had the same issues with a Shimano XT brake recently and after trying everything you did and then some, I put on fresh pads and it apparently was contaminated pads because it's back to silent.

Mine was more of a honking than a squeaking though.

If there is any chance your brake pads were contaminated, they're pretty much shot and sanding won't do a thing. I've had good luck with a blow torch, just don't super heat them since they're glued to the backing. Just do some passes, stop, then heat again. Just don't go nuts.

Otherwise, just clean the rotors really well, make sure they're straight (adjustable wrench persuasion), and get new pads.

Hey guys - thanks for all the feedback. I think after reading all of this it's quite possible the rotor might be bent. I'll give new pads a try but ultimately it will probably come down to new pads and a new rotor a la @Karate Monkey which makes perfect sense at least in my mind. Fire, blow torch - this comes next if the new kit fails.

Update - I replaced both front and rear pads and the front squeak is now gone. Sadly the rear has started it's own noise, but I think that's just b/c I rode through a puddle and the rotor got wet. Can't win for tryin'.
You've inspired me to throw new pads at my squeaky brake problem. Thanks!

Spray a light coating of grease on the rotors. White lithium works the best...
I actually had a customer that had done this when I was wrenching. Shaved head, tats, someone you’d see and assume they’re a guy, and surely would not have done what I’m about to relate. Anyway, he rolls the bike in, mountain bike with v brakes. Says he’s tried everything and can’t get them to stop squealing. I take a closer look and the rims are coated in black sludge. I wipe some off with a finger and it’s gooey. I ask what is this? Customer “ I greased them”! I’m sure I did not poker face it enough. He was not happy with me explaining to him that grease is a lubricant and that I’d have to charge him a bit to degrease everything. He left pissed off. His man card should have been revoked that day.

I actually had a customer that had done this when I was wrenching. Shaved head, tats, someone you’d see and assume they’re a guy, and surely would not have done what I’m about to relate. Anyway, he rolls the bike in, mountain bike with v brakes. Says he’s tried everything and can’t get them to stop squealing. I take a closer look and the rims are coated in black sludge. I wipe some off with a finger and it’s gooey. I ask what is this? Customer “ I greased them”! I’m sure I did not poker face it enough. He was not happy with me explaining to him that grease is a lubricant and that I’d have to charge him a bit to degrease everything. He left pissed off. His man card should have been revoked that day.

Instinctively I refuse to believe this is true, but realistically I know it is. Also, sadly.

Back
Top Bottom