Marty's Fat 50 2020

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
https://www.bikereg.com/martys-fat-fifty

Looks like the fat bike requirement is gone. Reg says any bike is welcome, as well as official scoring not being used.

"This year we have one great category, Fat Fifty: Every Rider. Even if you don't have a fat bike, a gravel bike, or a plus bike we still want you to come ride with us! No matter what you ride you are welcome to sign up as long as you feel confident you can safely conquer the terrain Fat Fifty will throw at you. Come ride Fat Fifty and be a part of our awesome cycling community. "

Was no official scoring a thing last year too?
I wonder how many bikes will be actual fat bikes?

goldsbar

Makes sense. I assume they were just going with the fat bike trend when this started. In reality, there's no need for a fat bike most years.

Fat Trout

https://www.bikereg.com/martys-fat-fifty

Looks like the fat bike requirement is gone. Reg says any bike is welcome, as well as official scoring not being used.

"This year we have one great category, Fat Fifty: Every Rider. Even if you don't have a fat bike, a gravel bike, or a plus bike we still want you to come ride with us! No matter what you ride you are welcome to sign up as long as you feel confident you can safely conquer the terrain Fat Fifty will throw at you. Come ride Fat Fifty and be a part of our awesome cycling community. "

Was no official scoring a thing last year too?
I wonder how many bikes will be actual fat bikes?

I think no scoring started in '18. Even before that it was for the top few riders and past that you had whatever your GPS told you.
I can't help but wonder why $70 now. I rode in '16,'17 and reg'ed for '18 but had the flu & bailed. All $40. Last year I didn't go as I wasn't so sold on the Hackettstown thing as parking was an unknown cluster bang. was thinking this year but $70 I hate to sound cheep but dang, $70 for what has become a group ride, fat bike optional. I did like the beer, pizza and fire pit at the end in when it was in Randolph but not that much. I don't know, maybe....if only for a reason to ride that much in January, but if it is a weather crap out its a bigger $ bummer.

Sven Migot

I think no scoring started in '18. Even before that it was for the top few riders and past that you had whatever your GPS told you.
I can't help but wonder why $70 now. I rode in '16,'17 and reg'ed for '18 but had the flu & bailed. All $40. Last year I didn't go as I wasn't so sold on the Hackettstown thing as parking was an unknown cluster bang. was thinking this year but $70 I hate to sound cheep but dang, $70 for what has become a group ride, fat bike optional. I did like the beer, pizza and fire pit at the end in when it was in Randolph but not that much. I don't know, maybe....if only for a reason to ride that much in January, but if it is a weather crap out its a bigger $ bummer.
$70 is way steeper the the route itself. It's just a rail trail ride. I'd rather buy my own beer & pizza. Which is what I did last year anyway. After being cold & wet for 4 hours I just went to a pizza shop and went home...

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
With the new course a gravel bike should be fastest overall. It's pancake flat and smooth. I've spun out my gearing riding this on the Fat Bike at about 20mph average.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I did it last year and rode with Dave Kahl. On the road the fat bike hauled ass. In the thick stuff the cx was the advantage. The price sucks though. No aid station or timing and the price has almost doubled. I think that course suits itself to a geared hardtail.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Completely unrelated, anyone want to do a ride on the Sussex Branch Trail, maybe starting from Hackettstown on Jan 5th? I think there's some good options for post-ride food and hanging out.

Maybe as everyone filters back in we hang out at Czig Meister drinking and ordering food from various restaurants.

Maybe an out-and-back ride, this way groups of people can choose their mileage turn-around-point so we all get back roughly at the same time.

(Totally joking, but I may have stumbled upon a not-so-bad idea)

Steve Vai

Completely unrelated, anyone want to do a ride on the Sussex Branch Trail, maybe starting from Hackettstown on Jan 5th? I think there's some good options for post-ride food and hanging out.

Maybe as everyone filters back in we hang out at Czig Meister drinking and ordering food from various restaurants.

Maybe an out-and-back ride, this way groups of people can choose their mileage turn-around-point so we all get back roughly at the same time.

(Totally joking, but I may have stumbled upon a not-so-bad idea)

It should be 51 miles.

goldsbar

Seems like ever since the fondo craze took off, the price of all these types of rides has gone sky high. Not sure what's involved in setting this up. Permits or just send everyone off and tell them where to turn around?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Seems like ever since the fondo craze took off, the price of all these types of rides has gone sky high. Not sure what's involved in setting this up. Permits or just send everyone off and tell them where to turn around?
But usually there's a good payback. I doubt there's any road closures here, it's a flat out and back. Not very challenging, or interesting.

Usually with a Fondo it's a big event, there's a challenge where you can try a length/elevation/etc that you haven't done before and have the sag backup and aid stations. And then usually good food afterwards.

This is kind of missing all that...

Steve Vai

I charge $20 for people to do the Fat Epic at 100 Miles. I include a fully stocked rest stop, food at the finish, and finishers prizes for every entrant. The total cost to put on the event is under $200 including permits. Pure cash grab.

TimBay

With the new course a gravel bike should be fastest overall. It's pancake flat and smooth. I've spun out my gearing riding this on the Fat Bike at about 20mph average.
50t chainring on the fatbike? I wonder if there's a flat land speed world record for fat bikes?

roc

I don’t think you sound cheap at all. $70 for a ride sounds ridiculous. If there is no charity involved, what does marty’s do, some pizza and beer? For that price, there should be some kind of charity fundraiser involved. If not, wow?!

goodvibe

I don’t think you sound cheap at all. $70 for a ride sounds ridiculous. If there is no charity involved, what does marty’s do, some pizza and beer? For that price, there should be some kind of charity fundraiser involved. If not, wow?!
I was looking at this and I agree. I would be totally in, but what is the return for your $70? A hat, a cheeseburger, and a $25 off coupon if you spend $100. When you register for the Fondo, it is only $25 more in September and they have the timing, and Morristown is shut down and you get a ton of awesome stuff. This doesn't sound like it is worth it.

Thor350Z

Not sure if there is a plan to clear out the trails ahead of this event but the Sussex rail trial is currently unrideable north of Newton with many downed trees. I've been sawing away and removing alot of downed branches but this has been pretty slow going and a chainsaw would be needed to take out some of the larger trees. Just wanted to give a heads up.

qclabrat

I charge $20 for people to do the Fat Epic at 100 Miles. I include a fully stocked rest stop, food at the finish, and finishers prizes for every entrant. The total cost to put on the event is under $200 including permits. Pure cash grab.
Is there a Fat Epic this year? Nutting in FB

Top Bottom