Team MTBNJ Halter's
No lie.
My snows went on today.
Early? Maybe.
But I care about @gtluke’s chickuns.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So you put on snow tires when you see snow outside, then take them off after it's plowed?

snow tires really weren't intended to be driven on dry pavement so its not wrong. They were really designed around the places that dont plow and you just drive on hardpack snow/ice for 3-6 months out of the year . . . .

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
snow tires really weren't intended to be driven on dry pavement so its not wrong. They were really designed around the places that dont plow and you just drive on hardpack snow/ice for 3-6 months out of the year . . . .
Not sure that's 100% true. Many winter tires are really just designed to remain flexible in cold temperatures, basically to work similar to a summer tire in the temp ranges of a summer tire that turns into a rock in the winter. Look at something like the Micehlin Pilot Alpin, Pirelli Sottozero, etc. These are performance snow tires. They're mostly made for the reasons above. They may get you through light stuff, but they're not a snow-slaying tire. Even the Xice 3 which I have has higher speed ratings than something like a Blizzak, a true snow tire. For our area where the snow is plowed constantly, the Xice and similar is what I would go with. Unless you live in Vermont, a Blizzak or other true, deep tread snow tire is overkill.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
So you put on snow tires when you see snow outside, then take them off after it's plowed?

No they go on the day before and come off once the slush and mess is gone of my wife's car. She's essential but hates the tps but I don't mind either since mpg and I like trees

serviceguy

Meh, I'm doing just fine with my Blizzak during the winter even though I have a 30 miles commute each way , they're not noisy .

My point of view is that it only takes one accident to wreck your car and hurt who is riding in it, the first time my car slipped on a patch of snow I headed to TireRack.com.

Even though the streets are plowed regularly over here, there's always ice and some frozen snow and I like to stay on the safe side of things.

Tires can be replaced when worn, people you hold dear...not so much.

Top Bottom