The what new bike are you considering thread

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
I want to demo the new Tallboy and Ripley. Since we are both fans of the DW link, interested to get your impression of the Ripmo?

Captain Brainstorm

I want to demo the new Tallboy and Ripley. Since we are both fans of the DW link, interested to get your impression of the Ripmo?

A friend of my has the Ripley and he loves it. I’m eager to really beat on the Ripmo because Ibis tunes their kinematics closer to what Turner does than Pivot. Now, I tried a Ripmo at last years fest, but it didn’t really count because it was a traffic jam on the demo loop, I got zero speed, and it had 2.6’s that felt like pillows. It climbed well on the fire road though, which means nothing to me. The Bronson I rode was with 2.6 minions that had zero feel, cornered no better than my 2.5’s, and dragged like crazy. The guys in VT don’t do the 2.6 tire thing, and I know the trails up there well so it will be a better comparison vs. my current ride.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nope, but only because I was riding up in VT.
1570204993282.png

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
A friend of my has the Ripley and he loves it. I’m eager to really beat on the Ripmo because Ibis tunes their kinematics closer to what Turner does than Pivot. Now, I tried a Ripmo at last years fest, but it didn’t really count because it was a traffic jam on the demo loop, I got zero speed, and it had 2.6’s that felt like pillows. It climbed well on the fire road though, which means nothing to me. The Bronson I rode was with 2.6 minions that had zero feel, cornered no better than my 2.5’s, and dragged like crazy. The guys in VT don’t do the 2.6 tire thing, and I know the trails up there well so it will be a better comparison vs. my current ride.
Definitely going to demo the Ibis. Still have the original rear shock on my Sultan and the DW design still works great. And trust me, it has taken lots of punishment. I think I also spoke with Dave Turner (at least it sounded like him) on the phone recently when I called. He was very helpful but did not give the impression of hope for new products in the lineup. If Turner makes a new Sultan, I’ll be the first in line to buy one.

Anyone know the list of DW link brands on the market?

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So ill preface this with what I have first....

My scalpel race bike

my 2013 trigger 29er that has around 8000+ miles on it....still works perfectly and I still love it.

Im looking to replace my trigger with something all mountain/enduro....like my trigger, i want it to be awesome downhill, but I often to rides like TOS to ringwood and back with some fast guys for ~3hrs...so it cant be a complete battleship.

Tried a bronson for 3 days in kingdom and LOVED it....would like to try one in some rocks around here tho.
tried a mach 429 trail...great bike, but a little more towards the XC side than the enduro side for what im looking for. if I didnt have my scalpel already, id probably get this bike.
tried a megatower....awesome downhill, but too much bike to pedal around
tried a pivot firebird...felt very similar to the megatower to me. I dont get to DH parks or do enough enduro races to use something this big.
tried a TB4 at the festival....im thinking it was set up very incorrectly bc I swear it made my scalpel feel plush. I didnt have my shock pump on me for this test spin, so ill need to try this again sometime. set up really is EVERYTHING so
SC blur....great bike...if I was looking to replace my scalpel, this would be my first choice...but im not right now.
Hoping to get a ride on @jdogs demo hightower soon. So ill have to revisit after I give that a try.

I will say much to my disappointment....ALL of the bikes I have tried have had either fox 34, 36 or rockshox forks.....I have to be honest, I havent liked any of them as much as my 8000+ miles lefty supermax. Ill just have to put this lefty on my new bike I guess.

so far my favorite has been the bronson but I need to ride it on something like tiger blood....

RSAmerica

I have 1,300 miles on my Ibis Ripmo, I call it “The Magic Bike”. It Does everything, I ridden on everything from Allaire to 6-Mile to Hartshorne to Allamuchy to Ringwood to Kingdom Trails (Plus Burke Bike Park) to the gnar of Pisgah. The trick is build it light, mine weights ~27.5 lbs and take off the slow/heavy ass rear Maxxis Aggressor tire. My Eriksen Ti hardtail and Ibis Mojo3 just sits in the garage now.

serviceguy

My scalpel race bike

my 2013 trigger 29er that has around 8000+ miles on it....still works perfectly and I still love it.

Im looking to replace my trigger with something all mountain/enduro....like my trigger, i want it to be awesome downhill, but I often to rides like TOS to ringwood and back with some fast guys for ~3hrs...so it cant be a complete battleship.

Tried a bronson for 3 days in kingdom and LOVED it....would like to try one in some rocks around here tho.
tried a mach 429 trail...great bike, but a little more towards the XC side than the enduro side for what im looking for. if I didnt have my scalpel already, id probably get this bike.
tried a pivot firebird...felt very similar to the megatower to me. I dont get to DH parks or do enough enduro races to use something this big.
tried a TB4 at the festival....im thinking it was set up very incorrectly bc I swear it made my scalpel feel plush. I didnt have my shock pump on me for this test spin, so ill need to try this again sometime. set up really is EVERYTHING so
SC blur....great bike...if I was looking to replace my scalpel, this would be my first choice...but im not right now.
Hoping to get a ride on @jdogs demo hightower soon. So ill have to revisit after I give that a try.

I will say much to my disappointment....ALL of the bikes I have tried have had either fox 34, 36 or rockshox forks.....I have to be honest, I havent liked any of them as much as my 8000+ miles lefty supermax. Ill just have to put this lefty on my new bike I guess.

so far my favorite has been the bronson but I need to ride it on something like tiger blood....

Have you ever considered a Knolly?

goldsbar

Hmm, is a big burly bike good for Tiger's Blood or are you better off on the Scalpel? A lot of the hard stuff is about having the traction to blast up very quick climbs/rocks.

Captain Brainstorm

Definitely going to demo the Ibis. Still have the original rear shock on my Sultan and the DW design still works great. And trust me, it has taken lots of punishment. I think I also spoke with Dave Turner (at least it sounded like him) on the phone recently when I called. He was very helpful but did not give the impression of hope for new products in the lineup. If Turner makes a new Sultan, I’ll be the first in line to buy one.

Anyone know the list of DW link brands on the market?

As far as I know some of the brands that use DW are Turner, Pivot, Ibis, Atherton, and Esker. Atherton looks really interesting from the manufacturing and customization perspective, but I'm afraid to know what they will cost. Esker looks really interesting because the bikes look the closest to my RFX in what they're trying to do. Only problem with both is how do you buy without trying? If you have the cash and patience and know exactly what you want, Atherton is probably less of a risk, but still, I'd like to ride one before I committed. Esker is a complete mystery, but the bike looks sweet.

bergsnj

My scalpel race bike

Yeti SB130 might fit the bill. there are some great deals on 2019 frames this time of year

Captain Brainstorm

My scalpel race bike

Sounds like you need to size down on an enduro bike maybe? The Bronson wasn't bad around here, climbed really well, but the handling was sluggish probably due to the head angle and 2.6 tires. Curious to see what lighter wheels and 2.5's would feel like. Also, the DW completely blew the VPP away in the rocks. The only downside with DW is you need to get setup spot-on, remember your settings, the sweet spot is very small. Also, for an $8k bike the Fox fork that came with it, and the Reverb post, was a let down. Then again, I had to put some money into my Pike to make it feel right.

Top Bottom