Bike Rack and License Plate Visibility

Rusty

nice of the officer to make up his own rules. "Could you cite the statute for me, officer".

and by the way, it IS illegal to drive with your flashers on in the state of GA. There you have to be stopped on the roadside or its a ticketable offense.

iman29

nice of the officer to make up his own rules. "Could you cite the statute for me, officer".

and by the way, it IS illegal to drive with your flashers on in the state of GA. There you have to be stopped on the roadside or its a ticketable offense.

Thats interesting, I always throw on my flashers when I see traffic slowing down like on the highway or especially if i get caught in one of those nasty rain downpours where the fast wipers dont do shit (RainX does help a lot).

Good to know about the bike rack i dont keep mine on that often but I guess that cop was bored.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thats interesting, I always throw on my flashers when I see traffic slowing down like on the highway or especially if i get caught in one of those nasty rain downpours where the fast wipers dont do shit (RainX does help a lot).

Good to know about the bike rack i dont keep mine on that often but I guess that cop was bored.

really? your admitting to being one of THOSE guys? as long as your headlights are on (they should be when its raining anyways) the flashers dont do much besides confuse the idiots around you . . .

Dingo

really? your admitting to being one of THOSE guys? as long as your headlights are on (they should be when its raining anyways) the flashers dont do much besides confuse the idiots around you . . .
Double LIKE...
To me it's an emergency, not "I'm lost" looking for my next turn in 20 miles.

iman29

Double LIKE...
To me it's an emergency, not "I'm lost" looking for my next turn in 20 miles.

to each his own, i dont drive with them on for 20 miles just a quick flash on and off to make sure people pay attention. I just wont do it the next time I am in the state of GA.

iman29

I do worry about my bike rack getting rear ended when I use it tho, even when its upright and blocking my license plate in a parking lot.

Dingo

to each his own, i dont drive with them on for 20 miles just a quick flash on and off to make sure people pay attention. I just wont do it the next time I am in the state of GA.
Guess your missing my point, go back up and read my post about the philly girlfriend....

Dingo

I do worry about my bike rack getting rear ended when I use it tho, even when its upright and blocking my license plate in a parking lot.
Mine got wacked. This was at my job. I always park far back in the corner space, hike my ass to the shop.
I did figure out who it was, sales guy here. Got him to pay $300, in 1 dollar bills, for the replacement UP. This was 3 yrs ago, fat fucker still wont even make eye contact with me.
He said "just bend it back" .

PRETTY SURE I had enough reflective tape on tha darn thing.

racked.jpg

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's

You're one of those people I curse because now I can't tell WTF you're doing as you don't have turn signals and all the cars with flashing lights are incredibly distracting.

Just turn on your lights/taillights please. The taillights let you be seen, your brake lights let it be known if you're slowing. Flashers are for the side of the road only.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Just got pulled over for the rack blocking the plate. Officer said it must come off when not transporting bikes.

i've been tilting mine down.

what kindof car do your drive.
(my guess is a lowered vw - :D )

i'm driving a recent model, stock sierra p/u

Patrick

Staff member
You're one of those people I curse because now I can't tell WTF you're doing as you don't have turn signals and all the cars with flashing lights are incredibly distracting.

Just turn on your lights/taillights please. The taillights let you be seen, your brake lights let it be known if you're slowing. Flashers are for the side of the road only.

flashers necessary under 35mph on highway - i turn them off after a car has established behind me. they should have them on....repeat
necessary not in the legal sense, i don't think - that is what all the trucks do.

Dingo

flashers necessary under 35mph on highway - i turn them off after a car has established behind me. they should have them on....repeat
necessary not in the legal sense, i don't think - that is what all the trucks do.
Those trucks are not changing lanes like a jack rabbit. Now some jack ass in a car is a whole diffrent can of beans

Patrick

Staff member
Those trucks are not changing lanes like a jack rabbit. Now some jack ass in a car is a whole diffrent can of beans

maybe - i've seen some seriously unprofessional shit out of supposedly pro drivers the last bunch of years.
i'm all in for keeping people that are driving for a living moving - but the fully loaded uphill pass because you felt that you could take
them while in the draft is just stupid.....

on the other hand, they should be able to run over cars that driving under them while merging....

Tbof

I was driving on RT 15 going north. Three months ago my truck was also rear ended with my bike rack on. The rack saved the truck and the only thing I needed to replace was a peice if plastic. I didn’t question the officer, the officer was polite and I’m not one to argue with law enforcement.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Exactly.

A truck with flashing lights in the right lane let's it be visible you have a slow moving vehicle.

A bunch of people during a rain storm or snow storm with their flashers on makes a light show in front of you. You can't mentally keep track of the cars because all you see are a ton of flashing lights. Solid lights allow you to track distance/speed/position of the vehicles.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Exactly.

A truck with flashing lights in the right lane let's it be visible you have a slow moving vehicle.

A bunch of people during a rain storm or snow storm with their flashers on makes a light show in front of you. You can't mentally keep track of the cars because all you see are a ton of flashing lights. Solid lights allow you to track distance/speed/position of the vehicles.

Correct. Also, on vehicles with combined brake lights and turn signals the hazards almost always override the brake lights. So no one following can easily tell if the vehicle is slowing down. So it's distracting, obscures the brake lights, makes driver intentions as to direction unknown, etc. There is absolutely no good reason to drive with hazard lights on simply due to weather. We all have to drive in the same weather.

When someone is driving significantly slower than the flow of traffic is the only time I can see driving with flashers on to be a good idea. Trucks do it when traveling uphill and are unable to maintain speed. A vehicle traveling at 45mph and slowing on a 65 mph highway is actually a hazard.

Top Bottom