Newbie to mt biking and need some advice

T

trek686

Hey everyone,

I graduated from college this past May so I needed a new hobby to keep me out on the weekends and away from my parents house as much as possible. I just picked up my first mt bike in about 8 years yesterday so now I'm on the search for gear. I need a helmet and I want so advice on which ones are good. Also, what are some good sites for parts and helmets?

Next, my buddy and I are going to ride this Saturday. We were considering heading up to Jim Thorpe, PA or Allamuchy State Park. Which does everyone recommend? Any trails that are good for an intermediate level?

Last, I picked up a Raleigh Mojave 5.0. Any know issues or recommendations on must have upgrades for the bike?

Thanks,

Trev

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
all i could suggest is:
the helmet (you could spend from 30-100 easily) just get something that fits good and feels comfortable. dont ride without one! you will be hassled.
gloves (no one likes calicises!)
water, lots of water (because you can never have too much :)

and just ride! worry about upgrading stuff later. get out and have a good time!

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
water, lots of water (because you can never have too much
all of what Perl said plus for water your best bet is some sort of water pack instead of bottles for a few reasons.
1. you can carry an extra tube and the tools to change it you do not want to walk 10 miles back to the car.. :(
2. when you fall on your back it gives you a coushin.

BTW: Welcome aboard

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Hey everyone,

I graduated from college this past May so I needed a new hobby to keep me out on the weekends and away from my parents house as much as possible. I just picked up my first mt bike in about 8 years yesterday so now I'm on the search for gear. I need a helmet and I want so advice on which ones are good. Also, what are some good sites for parts and helmets?

Next, my buddy and I are going to ride this Saturday. We were considering heading up to Jim Thorpe, PA or Allamuchy State Park. Which does everyone recommend? Any trails that are good for an intermediate level?

Last, I picked up a Raleigh Mojave 5.0. Any know issues or recommendations on must have upgrades for the bike?

Thanks,

Trev

Trev,

Allamuchy is a fantastic park, but I recommend trying Deer Park first. Deer Park is part of Allamuchy State Park and is a very "user friendly" park, as everything is marked. A lot of trails in Allamuchy North and Stephens are not marked yet.

To get to Deer Park, Take Route 80 to Exit 19. At the end of the exit ramp, go toward Hackettstown (Route 517 South) for about 3 miles. Turn left onto Deer Park Road and follow that to the parking lot.

Visit www.jorba.org and specifically http://www.jorba.org/allamuchy/AllamuchyDeerParkNJDEPMap.PDF to get a map of Deer Park.

Have fun!

Allamuchy Joe

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
hi and welcome!

when was the last time you rode? if this is your first voyage in eight years i think my first recco would be to not go to alamuchy north (unless you were racing expert eight years ago in which case you can go anywhere you want). maybe start out at a place like kittatinny (info here: http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41) instead. just a thought.

as for your other questions:
helmet- yes. you don't have to spend a ton of loot. if they're selling it in a shop, it's appoved for use. it may not be fly for $30 but it'll protect your noggin.
hydration pack- probably for now it'd be easier. in said pack you should at the very least put a small multi tool, maybe an extra derailleur hanger, a power link (for your chain) and a tube.
gloves- yes. you don't need anything fancy here. since it's fall, i'd go for the full finger deals.

or you could be like norm, carry nothing and rely on other people if you have an issue. :D

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have actually learned to float. So tires/tubes/chain/etc are optional.

I graduated from PHS, class of '90.

dualfisted

welcome newb-sauce.....

Welcome back to mtb'ng man. Everyone has given solid advice. Couple things to add to I guess. If you're planning on spending a lot of time in the saddle on yer rides, get a hydrarion pack that's at least 75 ozs., I'd go 100 oz. It sounds like a lot to carry, but it won't kill ya, and I've killed 100 oz in three hours on the trail easy. As far as a helmet, they are all held to the same ANSI safety specs, so any helmet will do, but there are more stylie ones than others, many deals to be had on the interweb, Performance and Nashbar are a couple of old standby's, and u can get some good deals, however for bikes n parts I always recommend supporting your LBS and developing a relationship with one u feel comfortable doing bidness with, they give good advice and can steer u towards necessary upgrades as u start to break or degrade parts. Enuff of that BS, get out there and ride man.
PS- beginner group ride @ Allaire, Sat. 11am @ hospital road parking lot. Directions can be found on this site, easy to get to from parkway and we always have fun, not a hammerfest.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Trev

Check it out. Borrow whatever you can find for this weekend, and listen to these guys when they say to avoid Mooch North for now. You can always zip down to RV if you want pain on wheels for your first outing.

Then next week, show up for the MTBNJ.com picnic. And since you're from my old hood, I have an old lid that you can have. Nothing special but it'll get you through the ride. Check out one of the beginner rides there - good people, good food, good fun.

Then hang out and you'll have a chance to win 1 of 2 helmets we'll be giving away in the raffle. This is among other things we have. Right now we have about a dozen things to raffle off so if not a helmet, maybe an industrial Accelerade, a saddle, tires, cables, and so on. The raffle list is still growing but I know for sure we'll have 2 helmets.

Mare

This doesn't answer any of your questions, but I offer above and beyond! :)

Based on where you live, you are not far from Trexlertown, PA. There is a swap meet coming up (October 11) and you can find some great deals on all sorts of bike stuff that you will or may need. http://www.lvvelo.org/swapmeets.php. I highly recommend you go if you have the time!

P.S. Welcome aboard!

Last edited:

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Low Cost Helmets

Oh, I forgot to add that I know that Cycleworks in Byram, NJ has a lot of helmets they are clearing out. They are excellent quality Louis Garneau brand -- I picked up one for a steal!

T

trek686

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm picking up a helmet today. I'm going to shoot up to Allamuchy tomorrow afternoon with a friend. I rode a few miles yesterday evening on a mountain where I used to dirtbike and it was nice to be out in the woods again.

Norm, thanks for the offer on the helmet. I'm def going to try and make the picnic next weekend. It sounds like a good time. Got any good recommendations for riding spots in the p'burg area?

Top Bottom