Jim Clawson ( Nature Jim) passed away

Wolfjon

Sorry to hear this. My wife lost her cousin to brain cancer a few years back and it is just a terrible way to go. Hopefully he is at peace now.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sorry to hear this news....I never met Jim, but he built some absolutely amazing trails in waywayanda that brought alot of pleasure to the NJ mountain biking community...he will be missed.

Porcupine, The Wall, Gravity, Rockadendron, Thirsty Dog, Hemlocked & Loaded, Buddha, Split Rock, the Wildcat loop, most of Mojo Swamp (and more) are just some of the trails built by Nature Jim. When I first laid wheels down at Wawayanda 20 years ago, the park consisted of mostly overgrown fire roads...Jim enriched the experience of every mountain biker who visited the park.

Last edited:

DickC

Porcupine, The Wall, Gravity, Rockadendron, Thirsty Dog, Hemlocked & Loaded, Buddha, Split Rock, the Wildcat Cat loop, most of Mojo Swamp (and more) are just some of the trails built by Nature Jim. When I first laid wheels down at Wawayanda 20 years ago, the park consisted of mostly overgrown fire roads...Jim enriched the experience of every mountain biker who visited the park.
His 1st Trail attempt was Pickle Trail as we now know it. It's the logical extension of Fisherman's Trail which was only a hodgepodge of paths leading to the small lake.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I was lucky to share many adventures with Jim. The fondest were XC ski adventures up in Wayway. We skied many of the trails before they were built. Jim was always exploring and searching beautiful parts of the park. Most skis were all day adventures completed after dark with fun times at his house. I often felt that I would not come back alive, but always came back feeling I had the best adventure. He would often sing at parties or in the emergency room, when ever it suited him. Jim loved living life to the fullest and was positive about everything. He had no patience for "no", just went ahead and lived "yes". I can't help but respect him for living his life that way. I am thankful that I went on that first night ride with him, even if I did get dropped and lost when my lights died. Someone came back and found me, and I had my first Nature Jim awesome adventure. I will miss him for sure. RIP Jim.

DickC

His trail building ability - and vision for a trail - was amazing. Trails weren't impossible, but challenging. I think I remember Jim telling me that Hemlock 'N' Load was his most proud trail. To this day, Hemlock is one of my favorite trails there.
The trail he was working on at any given time was always going to be his most "amazing " creation.
I was lucky to share many adventures with Jim. The fondest were XC ski adventures up in Wayway. We skied many of the trails before they were built. Jim was always exploring and searching beautiful parts of the park. Most skis were all day adventures completed after dark with fun times at his house. I often felt that I would not come back alive, but always came back feeling I had the best adventure. He would often sing at parties or in the emergency room, when ever it suited him. Jim loved living life to the fullest and was positive about everything. He had no patience for "no", just went ahead and lived "yes". I can't help but respect him for living his life that way. I am thankful that I went on that first night ride with him, even if I did get dropped and lost when my lights died. Someone came back and found me, and I had my first Nature Jim awesome adventure. I will miss him for sure. RIP Jim.
Yes. As you say, adventures wete his specialty. All day, in the night with a just a full moon lighting the way. Amazing stuff that lots of people wouldn't imagine. Jim even started extreme snow shoeing from the top of Bearfort Mountain (not me sadly) everyone would leap from ledges into deep snow all the way down the mountain. All were surprised it could be done. That was Nature Jim.

overbrook

ride on jim, you were a kind soul and exemplar giving to your community with the gift of your time and extraordinary efforts that will endure and cement your legacy.....

Zaskar

Nature Jim,

Picture of my friend after not making your bridge. Covered in mud and laughing.

Thank you for the trails you created and the memories we are making on them.

RIP

534446_3832023594488_2091049979_n.jpg

Off The Road Again

One of my fond memories of Jim was a bike trip to Kingdom. After a great day of riding (it's KT so of course it was great) me, Jim, Dick C, Joe and some others on this forum who may remember, were eating dinner at Junipers. It was a beautiful Vermont evening so we ate on the outside patio, enjoying the crisp air. Out of no where, Jim starts singing. He had such a great singing voice, and none of the other patrons were annoyed - in fact, a dude from another table chimed in and started singing too! It was a pretty cool sight.

Thin Diesel

One of my fond memories of Jim was a bike trip to Kingdom. After a great day of riding (it's KT so of course it was great) me, Jim, Dick C, Joe and some others on this forum who may remember, were eating dinner at Junipers. It was a beautiful Vermont evening so we ate on the outside patio, enjoying the crisp air. Out of no where, Jim starts singing. He had such a great singing voice, and none of the other patrons were annoyed - in fact, a dude from another table chimed in and started singing too! It was a pretty cool sight.
I remember that night and many mtb “adventures” with Jim. Still hard to believe he’s passed. RIP old friend.

Off The Road Again

Nature Jim,

Picture of my friend after not making your bridge. Covered in mud and laughing.

Thank you for the trails you created and the memories we are making on them.

RIP

View attachment 103820
Hahahaa! I remember crashing off Nature Jim's bridge, falling into the water where only my head and left shoulder stayed dry. That was in February!! Fortunately it was a balmy 41 degrees out and a fellow rider had an extra shell. @Dick C should remember, since he jokingly asked if I stopped to take a dip - he had no idea I fell into the water.

THATmanMANNY

Great stories and sounds like a great to the community and his loved ones but what he left behind will and is cherished by many!

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I never met him....looks like it’s my loss. Sharing fond memories is the best way to celebrate someone’s life. Somehow Rest In Peace doesn’t seem to fit based on the stories shared. I’ll leave it at, I look forward to what he’ll no doubt have waiting for us...when it’s time.

DickC

I remember that solo like it was yesterday.
On another occasion, Jim and I were retuning home, from Stewart Park, and stopped at Laughlin's Pub for fuel and beer. The place is real Irish, as is Jim, out of nowhere he is moved to sing " Danny Boy " at the top of his voice. You could hear a pin drop when he finished, followed by an eruption of cheering and clapping. Just classic Jim.

Ian F

Unfortunately, I don't believe I ever met Jim, but I have ridden at Wawayanda and they are great trails. RIP Jim.

DickC

The carving depicts Jim in his trail building attire. His trail hat and ever present hiking sticks, that he talked me into buying, which he also used as a grass whip. His family obviously thought a lot of him to engage a craftsman for that project.

DickC

Hahahaa! I remember crashing off Nature Jim's bridge, falling into the water where only my head and left shoulder stayed dry. That was in February!! Fortunately it was a balmy 41 degrees out and a fellow rider had an extra shell. @Dick C should remember, since he jokingly asked if I stopped to take a dip - he had no idea I fell into the water.
I remember that like it was yesterday. Also you were ahead of the group and successfully cleaned it once or twice before the fail.

Top Bottom