Jim Clawson ( Nature Jim) passed away

DickC

My friend and maybe yours too passed away this past Sunday from brain cancer.
He was a mountain biker, trail builder and outdoors-man. Any of us riding the Southside of Wawayanda State Park have probably ridden on trails he built, about 12 in all and all of them great.
Nature Jim will be missed by all he knew

Attachments

• clawson-crop-3.jpg
    clawson-crop-3.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 350

Mr.Moto

Condolences to Jim's family and friends. He will be dearly missed as a truly inspiring person and friend to the biking community.

JerseyPete

I heard about him many years ago and had the pleasure of riding an unmarked trail of his. It was one of the best trails I had ridden in Waywayanda.

Off The Road Again

My friend and maybe yours too passed away this past Sunday from brain cancer.
He was a mountain biker, trail builder and outdoors-man. Any of us riding the Southside of Wawayanda State Park have probably ridden on trails he built, about 12 in all and all of them great.
Nature Jim will be missed by all he knew
So sorry to hear the sad news, Dick. You and I have ridden many times with him at Waway, on the trails he built, and the fun times we had. He will be missed. RIP Nature Jim, gone too soon.

Captain Brainstorm

This does suck, condolences to his friends and family. I don’t think most people realize the level of trail building this guy was executing back before anyone else, and back before we were really organized. He wasn’t just some rogue builder, he used the terrain, skillfully made solid features, and built trails that were sustainable, yet challenging. Ride in peace Jim.

Robin

I was recently at Wawayanda and thought of him as I rode his trails. May he keep riding in his new life.

Off The Road Again

This does suck, condolences to his friends and family. I don’t think most people realize the level of trail building this guy was executing back before anyone else, and back before we were really organized. He wasn’t just some rogue builder, he used the terrain, skillfully made solid features, and built trails that were sustainable, yet challenging. Ride in peace Jim.
His trail building ability - and vision for a trail - was amazing. Trails weren't impossible, but challenging. I think I remember Jim telling me that Hemlock 'N' Load was his most proud trail. To this day, Hemlock is one of my favorite trails there.

DickC

Thanks for uploading these pictures. I've not seen them anywhere before. I had no idea how many in the club knew him and his trail building efforts. Check his obituary on the website of Richard's Funeral Home in West Milford. It's written in words anyone in this club would admire

DickC

You're correct in describing his trail building skills. Some don't realize the work he put into a trail design to make it fun to ride and not damage the forest in the process. He stayed high whenever possible and was a master hardening softer ground with rock, much of it done by himself. He loved it so much he kept it up until he couldn't do it any longer.

DickC

I heard about him many years ago and had the pleasure of riding an unmarked trail of his. It was one of the best trails I had ridden in Waywayanda.
Some years back I had signs at the beginning and end of all his trails. Unfortunately, vandals or people wanting souvenirs removed them which is why many are now unmarked.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Some years back I had signs at the beginning and end of all his trails. Unfortunately, vandals or people wanting souvenirs removed them which is why many are now unmarked.

we can do something about this if they are on the park map.
@Bleeder - Tom, what do we need to propose signage, and trail markers? both from a park perspective and JORBA.

thanks @DickC - nice to have you onboard.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
I met Jim a few times doing what he loved to do. Wawayanda continues to be my favorite NJ park to ride, in large part due to Jim’s gifts to all of us. Thank you Jim! God bless you and your family.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
RIP Pickle.
I've never met him but have ridden his trails. He was a man who built fun trails and sounds like he built a fun life.

serviceguy

I never met the man, nor was I aware of him unfortunately. Reading the nice words written about him both by people that knew him well and by those that just knew of him makes me believe that during his life he built a legacy that will be remembered by many well after his premature passing. Happy trails Nature Jim.

Top Bottom