Another Noob Intro!

robmaurizi

Hi everyone! I'm Rob and I'm new here... I grew up in Jersey then left for the greener mountains of Vermont for school (vowed never to come back), but alas... Been back in the Jerz now for 13 years. I live in Montclair with my wife & 4 boys, and like many it seems on here, am just now getting into mountain biking in my mid-40's.

Actually, my oldest was the first to push things along when he made us go trail riding on Cape Cod earlier this summer, and well.. I was pretty immediately hooked :)

Anyway, looking for more info on good places to ride both with the big guys (14 & 11), as well as my younger two (6 YO twins). I've been to Lewis Morris a couple of times w/ the bigs and we're supposed to go to Allaire this weekend which I recall from walking around there would be fine for the little guys. My eldest also led us up into Cedar Grove on the Yellow trail over to the rail trail—also pretty fun. Looking to check out Six Mile Run as well and would take recommendations on anything else suitable for my team.

Other group ride info is also welcome, and the oldest is also going to be starting NICA racing this year (I'm sure #2 may follow him along), so I'm sure that'll come up. We're also fairly active in Scouts in Montclair, so if there are cool opportunities for either youth group rides, or if there are volunteer opps to help with trail maintenance, etc., I'd be interested to hear about that.

Finally, I have a question for anyone who may know the answer... I use Trailforks to find trails, and I was wondering if someone could explain the concept of "unsanctioned" trails.. Are these trails where biking is verboten, or are they just not maintained or what?

Thanks!

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome!

and man... your wife must have the patience of a saint to deal with all those boys in the house! ;)

Looks like there will be some little kid rides in addition to the clinics and group rides:
http://njmountainbikefestival.com/schedule.html

you mentioned lewis morris, there's also patriots path right there... from morristown's speedwell lake, it's flat until you hit the Lewis Morris area... but you can also continue and head out towards mendham on the path which might be nicer for the smaller kids. EDIT: there is one monster hill in the middle there tho.

Last edited:

serviceguy

Welcome...

You may want to check out NJ Mountain Bike Festival in Ringwood and invest in a membership with JORBA, the website has a Calendar where you can find most TM dates in the locations of your choice.

OOS has group rides pretty much every week, you can follow the OOS Club on Strava and find out where the action is at. OOS rides are no drop. Montclair is not too far from many of the most common locations.

robmaurizi

Welcome!

and man... your wife must have the patience of a saint to deal with all those boys in the house! ;)

Looks like there will be some little kid rides in addition to the clinics and group rides:
http://njmountainbikefestival.com/schedule.html

you mentioned lewis morris, there's also patriots path right there... from morristown's speedwell lake, it's flat until you hit the Lewis Morris area... but you can also continue and head out towards mendham on the path which might be nicer for the smaller kids. EDIT: there is one monster hill in the middle there tho.

You're not the first person to mention saints and my wife in the same sentence! Yeah, I put the MTB fest on the calendar so hopefully we'll make it up there and check it out. And I'll certainly take the team out to check out Patriot's Path.. Is that the part that crosses the yellow trail right by Sunrise lake?

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You're not the first person to mention saints and my wife in the same sentence! Yeah, I put the MTB fest on the calendar so hopefully we'll make it up there and check it out. And I'll certainly take the team out to check out Patriot's Path.. Is that the part that crosses the yellow trail right by Sunrise lake?

EDIT: i need to stop hitting save before i'm ready. anyway... Lew Mo at the bottom, PP runs across the screen (speedwell lake in upper right, mendham towards the left)... the monster hill is in the area directly across from lew mo.

1565808036871.png

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Finally, I have a question for anyone who may know the answer... I use Trailforks to find trails, and I was wondering if someone could explain the concept of "unsanctioned" trails.. Are these trails where biking is verboten, or are they just not maintained or what?

That generally means the trails were built without permission. They are often referred to as "rogue" trails.

I think camping might be out that weekend, but I'll see who's up for a day trip and check it out!

If you are just coming for the day, come on Saturday. There's a BBQ with tons of food included in the entry fee. Also, bring bathing suits.

mtbiker87

Welcome aboard ! A great option for getting some ride time in for the whole family, and building some skills, is hitting up a pump track. My little one loves spending some ride time with dad. West Milford isnt to far from Montclair, and Port Jervis though a bit of ride, is world class.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Be sure to hit up Pedal Montclair since you’re in the area. The couple that owns the place are awesome. Their group rides are more on the advanced side, but they are very active in the NICA scene if your kids go that route.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Welcome! glad you found us -
next step up from six mile run or allaire is nassau trails. get some saddle time then
post up for a tour - maybe @ilnadi (has a nica racer in the house) would be available, or could hook you up.

Best of luck to the kids, and you!! see ya out there.

I think he means - paging @muddybike ! (check the OP)

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome! glad you found us -
next step up from six mile run or allaire is nassau trails. get some saddle time then
post up for a tour - maybe @ilnadi (has a nica racer in the house) would be available, or could hook you up.

Best of luck to the kids, and you!! see ya out there.

I think he means - paging @muddybike ! (check the OP)

i did mean @Matt_ hes the njjuniormtb guy but @muddybike is also appropriate

(he has 2 6 year olds too according to OP, but then you probably lost your glasses and couldnt read that much detail :p)

Matt_

I Get Jokes
hes in south jersey (jackson area IIRC) but he was part of the driving force behind the junior mtb group

New Egypt now.

But yes I started the FB page. The page is not meant to be limited to my local area. My Hope's are for it to grow big enough for parents from all over to sync up at get the kiddos out riding.

There are a few parents with kids near Montclair on the page. I'll keep an eye out for the member request ;)

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome!
You found the spot to scratch that MTB itch.
Amidst all the nonsense here you’ll find some good folks, good rides and good advice.
Cranks and NJ Mountain Bike Festival will be great introductions to the scene.

Top Bottom