Best App for Offline Navigation?

stevie.mtb

Does anyone recommend an app for IOS that can give me turn by turn directions without using data? From what I understand I cannot follow a Strava route without burning data. Since I don’t have unlimited, I’m looking for an alternative. Thanks

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Trailforks or Maprika will show your GPS location on a map stored on your phone so it shouldn't burn data, but it won't give you turn-by-turn navigation. I'm guessing you are looking for audio or video prompts? I guess if you have your phone mounted to your bars and know how to read a map, you can easily take turns at intersections of one of those apps depending on where you GPS dot puts you. Anything else with turn-by-turn I would assume would use data on a phone. Sounds like you want to look into a Wahoo/Garmin with mapping.

stevie.mtb

Trailforks or Maprika will show your GPS location on a map stored on your phone so it shouldn't burn data, but it won't give you turn-by-turn navigation. I'm guessing you are looking for audio or video prompts? I guess if you have your phone mounted to your bars and know how to read a map, you can easily take turns at intersections of one of those apps depending on where you GPS dot puts you. Anything else with turn-by-turn I would assume would use data on a phone. Sounds like you want to look into a Wahoo/Garmin with mapping.
A garmin/wahoo is definitely in my near future.

I’m going on a trip soon and was sent Strava routes to follow- so yes, audio or video prompts would be ideal. At the very least it’d be nice to download the route and have it highlighted and simply follow it visually.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’m going on a trip soon and was sent Strava routes to follow- so yes, audio or video prompts would be ideal. At the very least it’d be nice to download the route and have it highlighted and simply follow it visually.

I've never used any, but I think there are some free GPX viewers on the app store. So you should be able to just make a GPX file from the Strava route and view it using one of those.

JerseyPete

What trails will the OP ride that turn by turn can be used? Most trails by me are not well marked. I usually ride 50 feet and see if it lines up with Trailforks.

JerseyPete

See if they are visible in Google maps like Colombia trail. I believe Google maps can be used offline, but I don't know if it will have turn by turn available offline.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
See if they are visible in Google maps like Colombia trail. I believe Google maps can be used offline, but I don't know if it will have turn by turn available offline.

yes you can download offline maps for google maps, you just have to pre-define the area before you need it so that you can dl it over wifi

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
yes you can download offline maps for google maps, you just have to pre-define the area before you need it so that you can dl it over wifi
Yes, but they are directions from point A to B, no? Unless something changed, you can exactly create your own route. It will also likely send you on roads instead of singletrack/gravel. I used offline maps getting around Rome, etc. for walking directions. Works great.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yes, but they are directions from point A to B, no? Unless something changed, you can exactly create your own route. It will also likely send you on roads instead of singletrack/gravel. I used offline maps getting around Rome, etc. for walking directions. Works great.

i believe you can do both, it lets you dl a pre-defined route and then if you end up off it the maps are used to navigate back to the route, but i havent tried it bc unlimited data plan :D

Top Bottom