USA Cycling announces new classifications

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I can't believe the age groups will remain the same. Or maybe they'll revert to 30-39 for sport and expert (2 and 1)? I thought consolidating ages was a big part of it. If not that's a whole lotta fuss over eliminating semi-pro.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Big deal:
Semi-pro + expert = Cat 1
Sport = Cat 2
Beginner = Cat 3
Same age classes.

I imagine that some semi-pros will classify as pro, although most will choose Cat 1. This is phase 1 of a multi-year move to make the pro class more "pro," and to differentiate professional from amateur racing more clearly. There will be more changes in 2010 and beyond for the pro class, but that doesn't affect many of us.

So Cat 1 will become a lot more competitive with the former semi-pros in there, but Cat 2 & 3 will see no change, other than name and never having to explain the difference between beginner riding and beginner racing again... ;)

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The "official" break down on the ages is in 5 year increments; 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, etc.

After reading some more.... USAC gives promoters the option of mixing CAT's not ages. So if there are less than 5 45-49 CAT 2's registered, they can mix them with CAT 1. Huh:hmmm:

I'm not sure how they would handle this in the H2H. The immeadiate number of bad situations that take shape in mind are too many to list.

Last edited:

jbogner

JORBA.ORG
The "official" break down on the ages is in 5 year increments; 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, etc.

After reading some more.... USAC gives promoters the option of mixing CAT's not ages. So if there are less than 5 45-49 CAT 2's registered, they can mix them with CAT 1. Huh:hmmm:

The age breakdowns are just the official ones for the national champs. Promoters still have the right to offer 10 year age groups (or any age groups, really) if they choose. And combining categories is in addition to the option to combine age classes, not instead of. The language used is "may" not "must," and both options are in the rule book. It's up to the promoters, so I wouldn't expect anything to change with our local races.

xc62701

Great just when I start feeling better about racing expert - now I need to mix it up with the old semi pros. Well they say if you ride with faster riders you get faster...I hope they're right. :D

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Well they say if you ride with faster riders you get faster...I hope they're right. :D

I hope you're right about them being right:D

It'll be interesting racing against guys like Luis and Maurice next year. I also wonder how it will affect the laps, right now Semi-Pro's normally do 1 more lap, are they going to make them do 1 less next year? I guess it doesn't matter either way, I'll be able to tell my roadie friends I'm a CAT1, that'll be worth it;)

-Jim.

jbogner

JORBA.ORG
At most of our local races, Cat 1's will be able to race up in the Pro/open class if they want to, similarly to how road promoters combine pro/cat 1 at local races. It's generally always been allowed, although few people avail themselves of the opportunity.

The only races where that isn't possible are national and state champs, and races with UCI points on the line, since the UCI specifies that pro races for points must be pro-only classes.

So the local speed demons can still race in the pro class at the races, even if they hold a cat 1 amateur license.

BiknBen

For those that are wondering why it took so long, keep in mind that this change effects the entire nation. Some events will attract thousands of entrants while others may get a hundred. It's not easy to create a plan that works for everyone.

I agree that we will see very little change in our local racing scene. The promoters continue to have the flexibility to set the age categories as required.

The Semi-Pros will have some flexibility to choose whether they go to Pro or Cat.1. That could be interesting. I'm eager to see how the H2H promoters will handle prizes awarded to the Cat.1s. They have offered cash prizes to Experts for as long as I can remember. The USA Cycling change provides an opportunity for our H2H promoters to make changes of their own.

The prizes awarded to the Cat.1 class may impact where the former Semi-Pro racers end up. Some enjoy the prise money and may be forced to race Pro to get it. We'll have to see how this all shakes down at our local events.

Last edited:

Ian F

Interesting... I'm not sure how this affects XC racing, but I can imagine a few ruffled feathers in the DH world... at the same time, I've always wondered what the point of the Semi-pro class was... either you're pro... or you're not... and it gets fuzzier when Pro and Semi-pro racers downgrade to Expert in order to qualify for the Master's Worlds...

So maybe this is a good thing... :confused:

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Interesting... I'm not sure how this affects XC racing, but I can imagine a few ruffled feathers in the DH world...

Not for nothing, but it doesn't take much to ruffle feathers in the DH world:rofl:

-Jim.

CrossAddict

I'll be There !

Age groups are corny, I for one will be going Pro.......

I'll be training a little more seriously next season and plan on racing pro. I'm feeling real motivated. It was a slow spring, but I'm feeling confident now that I can make an improvement on this season and have a stronger 09'. See ya there Rigidnsingle!

-rf

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good for you Roger. It's a move I think you should make given your results this year. Good luck!

CrossAddict

Thanks

Good for you Roger. It's a move I think you should make given your results this year. Good luck!

I've been out of racing for a few years, but when I applied myself in the past I've done well.
It's taken a little time to get used to riding trails again, but I feel more comfortable this season. I think JH will be my last Expert race for a couple of seasons. Given that I finish well. (fingers crossed) See you there, Norm;).

-roger

jbogner

JORBA.ORG
That's exactly the spirit that USA Cycling is after. Rising to the occasion, upping our game and working to become more competitive!

I'll be training a little more seriously next season and plan on racing pro. I'm feeling real motivated. It was a slow spring, but I'm feeling confident now that I can make an improvement on this season and have a stronger 09'. See ya there Rigidnsingle!

-rf

Sweet- Give me a shout out if you interested in some winter base.

Top Bottom