Which rides will you be doing @ JORBAfest?

THATmanMANNY

Just curious which rides you people will do tomorrow, especially the peeps I know... Advanced? 1st/2nd Int? 1st/2nd Beginners?

Still on the edge between advanced/intermediate. But I've been wanting to ride allamuchy. I may go out on the limb and do advanced. I think I am okay on the stamina/skills part just not race pace fast nor do I want that ride to be. people who know me... any input?

So what will you ride?

BiknBen

I'm doing (leading) the Kid's ride at 12:15 and 3:00. Be sure to yell my name if you see us. The kids will think I'm a rock star!!! :rolleyes:

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
Just curious which rides you people will do tomorrow, especially the peeps I know... Advanced? 1st/2nd Int? 1st/2nd Beginners?

Still on the edge between advanced/intermediate. But I've been wanting to ride allamuchy. I may go out on the limb and do advanced. I think I am okay on the stamina/skills part just not race pace fast nor do I want that ride to be. people who know me... any input?

So what will you ride?

Def 1st Int.; never been to Stephens before.

Maybe 2nd Int; haven't been to Deer Park in years, or maybe I'll just meander about on my own.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Manny,

Don't sweat it. Wait until tomorrow & talk the people leading the ride before you make a decision. I'm sweeping on 1 of the advanced rides, so that should tell you something about the pace. :hmmm: What exactly that is, I'm not sure.

Shaggz

A strong 7
"Kids" rides, baby! Shout my name, too. I don't want the kiddies to think I'm Ben's groupie :rolleyes:

dualfisted

either or

I want to do the advanced ride. I feel I could handle the pace and any elevation gain no problem. However, I'll be riding fully rigid, so I don't know if I can handle the rattling hands and technical downhills too well.
My other option is to do both the intermediate rides which kills a good portion of the day. I'll be making up my mind when I get there and discuss it with my peeps,,, the 501 Crew.

Spylab

I think I'm going to preference the 2nd Intermediate Ride at Deer Park, and I'd like to do the Night Ride as well. I am not accustomed to large group rides - in fact, I have ridden solo every time this year besides once or twice - so hopefully I can be a team player (or hopefully I don't hold up the group slugging up the hills!)

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
still a toss up between one or both intermediate rides. butive never ridden any of these places before, so an intermediate ride there is going to be WAY different than one at allaire. well see i guess.

walter

Fourth Party
MIG, I think after you ride up north you are going to be putting a lot more miles on your car. Its a total different world than Allaire or 6 mile. I rode Mahlon last summer with a bunch of people from here and the whole ride home I couldn't get the smile off my face.

You guys are going to have a great time and meet a lot of cool people from here.

Last edited:

Engignar

I am going to go for the advanced ride..I have never been to either park but I want to push myself and see the best of what it has to offer. You guys won't let someone fall off the back right? RIGHT???? haha..see you all tomorrow!

walter

Fourth Party
This may help you decide, this is from DD's post in the other thread:

Ride Descriptions:

BEGINNER: Beginner Rides will be held at the Stephens area of Allamuchy. These trails are for the most part smooth with the occasional rocky sections and several short mildly technical ascents and descents. Advanced bike handling skills are not required and your level of fitness does not have to be high although some base fitness is helpful. Slope gradient is beginner, friendly and there will be frequent stops. Expect about 1.5-2 hours for 4 miles of riding. If you have been riding for less than 6 months this is probably where you want to be.

INTERMEDIATE: The Intermediate Ride will be held in the Stephens (morning ride) and Deer Park (afternoon ride) section. Expect long climbs at a casual, conversational pace. Descending skills are very helpful but if you’ve been on the bike for over a year then you should be able to handle this ride without too much strain. Rocky, technical sections may be encountered where you’ll be encouraged to re-do until you successfully clean the section. There will be frequent stops but kept to less than 5 minutes each. Expect to cover about 7 miles in about 3hrs.

ADVANCED: The advanced ride (including the women’s) will be held at the North Section of the Park. The experienced rider with a strong base fitness level and reasonable technical skills will absolutely love this ride. Expect grueling, long, steep, rocky climbs with twisty downhill sections that will test your bike handling skills. Being an advanced ride, the pace will be strong but keep in mind that what makes this ride “advanced” is the terrain and technical challenge that it presents, having fitness will just help you enjoy it all the more. Stops will be limited and kept short. Expect to cover 15 miles in about 4 hours.

ADVANCED SPIRITED PACE: Similar to the advanced ride, this will be held at the North Section of the Park, the rider should have a strong base fitness level since this ride is geared to those with the racer mentality who like to ride at a quick pace. The terrain will be similar to the advanced ride with a bit less emphasis on the technical sections of the park. NOTE: THIS RIDE IS DEPENDENT ON THE NUMBER OF INTERESTED RIDERS, THIS RIDE MAY BE COMBINED WITH THE ADVANCED RIDE DEPENDING ON THE NUMBER OF REGISTRANTS.

Hope this information helps everyone decide which ride level they want to try.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dualfisted

i still dunno

I read those ride descriptions. I feel that the advanced level ride would be more to my liking, just don't want to play hike-a-bike games. I'm riding fully rigid bike, and while I've done 22 mile rides with 10+ miles of climbing and 2.5-3.5 thousand feet of elevation gain, the time to miles equations still doesn't compute in my head. Those rides I've done in like 3 hours. Just don't want to hold up the groups, or wished I had gone with a different one or some such bidness. I'll figure it out once I get up there I guess.

davos

1st intermediate...

for me. Due to time constraints I won't be able to do the 2nd. I'm still having a hard time as well with 3hrs for 7 miles!

Shaggz

A strong 7
Dustin, Don't sweat it. Like Joe said (somewhere), jaw with the sherpas tomorrow to get an idea what the pace and terrain will be like. These rides will be lead and swept by people who know the trails well, and they will not let anyone fall off or be left behind.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
i'll probably be doing the advance ride unless my friend comes with me and then i'll probably just end up doing the intermediate ride with him

P

Phatbiker

I read those ride descriptions. I feel that the advanced level ride would be more to my liking, just don't want to play hike-a-bike games. I'm riding fully rigid bike, and while I've done 22 mile rides with 10+ miles of climbing and 2.5-3.5 thousand feet of elevation gain, the time to miles equations still doesn't compute in my head. Those rides I've done in like 3 hours. Just don't want to hold up the groups, or wished I had gone with a different one or some such bidness. I'll figure it out once I get up there I guess.

Hi. I will most likely be leading the advanced ride. While i wouldn't say that having a full squish bike is a requirement, it will make the 4 hrs and 17 miles of riding much less painfull. nobody will get dropped and the pace will be strong but not "race". i'll be on the mango yellow turner six pack if anyone has any questions on saturday. it should be a really phun time.

nelson

Bob W

JORBA: Allamuchy
JORBA.ORG
Ride times vs miles

for me. Due to time constraints I won't be able to do the 2nd. I'm still having a hard time as well with 3hrs for 7 miles!

Hey Bob W here. I will be one of the ride leaders, which one depends on how many people we get. Regarding the time/miles...have you ever been on a group ride with 15 to 20 people and paid attention to how long it actually takes to do a decent ride??? Funny, the bigger the group the less miles you can get in a given amount of time. Then throw one flat, one stick to a rear der and there goes your time. Keep in mind that we may get more miles in then stated, if the group stays together and there are no mech issues.

We are also accounting for time to get riders back to the fest to catch what is going on (The Human Vise, Jeff Lenowski...). Have to have a little flexability in the schedule.

Trust me the intermediate rides are going to be fun! The advanced is advanced, and will feature tech stuff (lots of rocks, logs and such but no big drops or anything like that) and long climbs. Just do a honest personal assessment of your riding abilities and pick the ride you think is best, the rest will work itself out. Don't pick the ride because you want to ride a particular section of the park, they are all good. There are always group rides going on at Allamuchy, just look for one and come up!

See everyone tomorrow morning! BTW I will be on the orange Turner 6 Pack. Karen, womans advanced ride leader, will be on a black Turner 5 Spot.

Frank

Sasquatch
TJ you can borrow the Turner if you want.

allthough Allamuchy ain't a place to ride a strange bike.

scratch it and die
:rofl:

Last edited:
Top Bottom