Strava broke up with Relive

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
EDDAA81B-2088-452C-97F2-F2CC5B0D5AB7.jpeg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Relive still works with Garmin Connect and MapMyRide, which I guess is good news if you're one of like three people on the planet.

Sorry, @bonefishjake.

The wahoo can connect MMR and Garmin devices go through connect to get to s . That covers it. Although I never put pictures there.

@Norm - ability to put on vr goggles and revisit picture site

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
This works out perfect for me. I've been trying to dump reLive for a while but I couldn't disconnect the automatic Strava integration. The idea is kinda cool but they don't make files for anything over 12 hours, which are the only tides I really want to show people.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
This works out perfect for me. I've been trying to dump reLive for a while but I couldn't disconnect the automatic Strava integration. The idea is kinda cool but they don't make files for anything over 12 hours, which are the only tides I really want to show people.

premium tier does long rides. they could have sponsored you!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is a pretty good read:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/07/strava-relive-cc-app-platform-dispute.html

Basically, the Strava Ego Borg probably got too big & felt threatened. If nothing else, take away from this that Strava is suggesting that it is THEIR data not YOUR data. I think this article does a good job highlighting that. Don't be surprised if Strava updates the ToS at some point to say that by uploading you give them the data and they own the rights, or some bullshit along those lines.

If there were a viable alternate, I would drop Strava today because of this.

The Kalmyk

If there were a viable alternate, I would drop Strava today because of this.

Perhaps this is exactly why Strava kept them on a short leash. Not having competition in business must be really scary to some degree. Most decision are made easy when there is a competitor. This decision was clearly from a place of deep insecurity.

The Chinese Farmer would say, "Is it bad luck for Relive and users? Or is it good luck for Relive and users? It's too early to say". Now they can do their own thing.

Last edited:

rlb

Don't be surprised if Strava updates the ToS at some point to say that by uploading you give them the data and they own the rights, or some bullshit along those lines.

I don't think that's allowed under GDPR (based on that article). I'm sure they can have different terms based on the user's country, but are companies really doing that? I remember getting new terms for every site I've logged in to since 1981 when GDPR was coming in to effect, and moist of them were US based.

What's so special about Strava (aside from the user base) that keeps you there? Ride with GPS is a decent alternative (imo). And didn't @bonefishjake try to get everyone to try out Map My Ride for a while? The only thing keeping me on Strava at this point is momentum, and considering I didn't spend >10 hrs on my bike from October to June, that's a crap reason.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What's so special about Strava (aside from the user base) that keeps you there?

Historical data plus the UI is better than any alternative. Having said that, I have not seen an alternative.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Blows my mind that Garmin still wants to be a hardware and not a software company and didn't push Garmin Connect far enough into the Strava world.

ekuhn

Even though it has its major short comings, I use Gamin Connect with my Edge 705. 10 year old equipment and 10 year old software seem to jive well together. Strava gets its data from sync'd from there.

Reactions: rlb

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Even though it has its major short comings, I use Gamin Connect with my Edge 705. 10 year old equipment and 10 year old software seem to jive well together. Strava gets its data from sync'd from there.

Most of us probably use Garmin Connect if we have a Garmin device. We just have it synced to Strava and then use Strava for finding old rides, etc.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Most of us probably use Garmin Connect if we have an ancient Garmin device. We just have it synced to Strava and then use Strava for finding old rides, etc.
FTFY.

I remember Garmin Connect days. So much extra work. What would we all do if Strava ceased to exist? It would be as if we never rode, because if it's not on Strava, it never happened.

roc

Relive does this:

My question is along the lines of: suppose you wanted to do this with your vacation pics and drop them along your walking route but you didn’t record your walking route on the gps. How do I create that gps track and have some sort of time data?

I guess I could just try to upload a manually generated route.

That’s really cool. Was the climb to the top of whiteface the hardest climb you’ve ever done? If it wasn’t, what was? Have you ever ridden up mount Washington?

rlb

Blows my mind that Garmin still wants to be a hardware and not a software company and didn't push Garmin Connect far enough into the Strava world.

IMO, it's nice to see them focus on what got them to the room, and that's GPS hardware. Could they push out a huge sas cloud platform? Sure, but that would be a lot of investment with (IMO) little return. Because it exists already for little to no cost to the end users.

And don't forget, once Dunder Mifflin started selling printers shit really went downhill.

Top Bottom