Sterling Work/Expansion 2019

MuniMan

The current status for Sterling work/expansion is as follows:

1) NY State is still reviewing a plan for a new trail. On the master plan it is called the Augusta Mine Trail. If approved, it will run from Hutchinson Trail at the very large rock outcrop that is about .2 of a mile from the Hutch/Munsee junction. It will generaly run parallel to Hutchinson, joining up with McKeags Meadow trail. Hopefully if and when the rest of Redback is approved it will join up with that.

2) We have an Eagle Scout candidate who will be building a 100' bridge at the top of the Flow Works 17 section of Munsee-Eagle. This would be the section that currently has a 2x6 bridge over part of the mud hole.

3) NYNJTC has plans for an Americorps crew to spend part of the summer doing tweaks and fixes around the entire Redback/Hutch/ME loop. That would include small and large drainage issues with some small re-routes.

4) Some work has been done on Hutchinson, primarily at the area nead the Whaleback that was flooded. I would like to thank the people who have chipped it to help. Even if it was for 15 minutes while riding by. What was this on December 2nd,

IMG_3239[1].JPG

looked like this yesterday.

IMG_3838[1].JPG

May 5th

IMG_3757[1].JPG

Last edited:

MuniMan

Kaleidopete

This work party is all in Ringwood. I think you might be confusing it with the proposal to build a connection between the Ringwood and Sterling trail systems. Unfortunately that proposal was not considered by the NY State planners/approvers. It is not on the Sterling Master plan.
I think you're right! I thought it was, but I don't mind helping out Ringwood trails either since I ride there.
I was hoping it was the trail to connect to Sterling. Maybe next year they will consider it.

Bleeder

JORBA:President
I think you're right! I thought it was, but I don't mind helping out Ringwood trails either since I ride there.
I was hoping it was the trail to connect to Sterling. Maybe next year they will consider it.
Right now New York State has backed off plans for the Ringwood Connector. They won't say exactly, but we suspect it might be rattlesnake habitat. If you want, you can make an off road connection, by the powerlines, behind Watchtower and IBM around Blue Lake, across Long Meadow road, around and in by the sewage treatment plant, up the woods road to Redback. But fair warning, this route sucks. It's crappy woods roads and hike a bike.

MuniMan

The bridge being build on Munsee Eagle as an Boy Scout Eagle Project is taking shape. It is in two sections with a rock crib causeway in the middle. The long section has most of the decking on it. The short section still needs to be built along with the approachs. Look for a grand opening mid-late August.

Attachments

• IMG_4193[1].JPG
    IMG_4193[1].JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 251

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions