Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
didn't pour in branchburg, could see the storm to the north.
sourland ridge right out my front window was probably spared too.
sun is out now!

I got obliterated! Really narrow bands of rain. I think if I got hit the trails probably got hit.

one thing about this rain is that my lawn looks amazeballs.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I got obliterated! Really narrow bands of rain. I think if I got hit the trails probably got hit.

one thing about this rain is that my lawn looks amazeballs.
My coworker got a lighting strike on his dashcam this morning at the top of the ridge on rileyville, before you drop back down into hopewell.

blackburn1973

Best to wait till Sunday at least.

Where can you pick up that gun locally? Direct at distillery?
Had no idea that existed

You can get at Brick Farm Tavern (the distillery is behind the circle where you pull in for the restaurant - believe it's well marked), yeah, but they also seem to have local distribution. Have seen at Wegman's in Princeton and I believe also at Joe Canal's.

rick81721

Lothar
Live from the lower trails: a little mud but totally coulda rode today. Should be good until the next rain, though chunky monkey is probably too wet.

Wow that's a surprise. Woulda gone had I known. Gotta wait now until return from FL

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
I clipped back the thorn bushes and stuff on the lower trails, cleared out some drains and marked the spots we're gonna work on for the next TM. It's a mid-week evening one in mid June so we're gonna stay on the lowest trail and clear out some good drainage so the lower trails don't hold water. Also bumped into Ranger Dave who was there with another Ranger from the committee who's working to re-name and re-blaze all the trails in Sourlands. They finally realized the same color markers and multiple trails called "C" is not the best plan. Future state, each trail will have unique markers/names/colors. Not sure when that will be but a map revision will be needed then too so i will make sure they add Chunky Monkey as well.

J-Dro

I clipped back the thorn bushes and stuff on the lower trails, cleared out some drains and marked the spots we're gonna work on for the next TM. It's a mid-week evening one in mid June so we're gonna stay on the lowest trail and clear out some good drainage so the lower trails don't hold water. Also bumped into Ranger Dave who was there with another Ranger from the committee who's working to re-name and re-blaze all the trails in Sourlands. They finally realized the same color markers and multiple trails called "C" is not the best plan. Future state, each trail will have unique markers/names/colors. Not sure when that will be but a map revision will be needed then too so i will make sure they add Chunky Monkey as well.

Can "3 Amigos" possibly become an official Somerset County endorsed name? A man can dream, right?

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
T-storms rolling thru Jersey this evening. Locals, please let us know if Sourlands get his hard. I wanna ride there Mem Day morning (fingers crossed)

Rockbottom

Conditions were great this morning. A few soft spots on the lower level, close to the pond entrance but nothing major. Chunky monkey should be avoided. Still needs time to dry out.

cbiker

yup got my first ride in at sourlands since the winter freeze some wet spots but mostly good have at it

J-Dro

Just a brief spritz today. Have at it.
Wait, I may have spoken too soon. Radar looks like storms hitting around 11ish Sunday night. We'll see...

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
More mud than I expected on the lower trails but rapidly drying. 2 days more of no rain and it'll be much better. Top trails are perfect. Two trees down on red:

IMG_20190604_114821_418.jpg

IMG_20190604_120115_909.jpg

Also FYI large crew of pipeline workers doing maintenance on the pipeline. Trucks in multiple places.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
More mud than I expected on the lower trails but rapidly drying. 2 days more of no rain and it'll be much better. Top trails are perfect. Two trees down on red:
Also FYI large crew of pipeline workers doing maintenance on the pipeline. Trucks in multiple places.

Thanks for the report, Rick. Can you get more specific with the tree locations so i can alert the Rangers? And does it look like the pipeline work will hurt the trails at all?

rick81721

Lothar
Thanks for the report, Rick. Can you get more specific with the tree locations so i can alert the Rangers? And does it look like the pipeline work will hurt the trails at all?

X marks the spots:

6.4.19 trees down at sourlands.jpg

Pipeline workers no issues other than flying down the pipeline. In fact, they placed large steel plates over all the wet spots so the trucks don't get stuck - all the way to the parking lot.

PS it was so clear you could see the two highest skyscrapers in NYC from the very top - rarely visible!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions