Going Long and Hard.

qclabrat

Three Hundo K prep. Basically exactly the same as my 200k setup just with slightly larger bags and a headlight. Mandatory unmanned Controls tomorrow so I'm not expecting a particularly fast day, be lucky to get in under 12 hours. There's a good group pre-reg'd though so I'll have company up front.

View attachment 95017
how's the bike compare to the Giant from last year? I'll be working up to the Princeton 300k in July. Guess it won't be as popular due to the hills

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
how's the bike compare to the Giant from last year? I'll be working up to the Princeton 300k in July. Guess it won't be as popular due to the hills

The Tarmac is faster than the Defy. It could all just be in the wheels, but it's faster. All the Brevets will be well attended this year due to PBP.

Steve Vai

Wildwood 400k Pre-ride.

I left 2 hours after the rest of the pre-riding volunteers. I think there were 6 of them. I was planning on doing a bit of a pursuit and then maybe having a little company in the middle to break up a long day.

The section to the first Control was very fast on newly paved roads, meaning I got there ahead of opening time by about 15 minutes. Having no official Brevet Card though meant I could just carry on.

Get through the next Control ahead of time as well. Made up a 2 hour gap by the 3rd Control at 91-miles. The group was stopped there doing Rando things while I just said hi and rode through. First hundred miles were under 5-hours.

The section along the beach is always slow and windy, my pace dropped down to 18mph or so. Being solo I needed to mind my effort and stay in the green.

200k Control I sat down and took about 5-minutes, the first real break all day. 7:09 at the 50% mark.

Next section is on a bike path and requires dodging other trail users. Not fast. Also has a closed road. Cool section.

20190518_181012.jpg

Blow through the 145-mile Control and make the push to the Rando's Mecca, Super Wawa at mile 179. There, I take another prolonged stop.

IMG_20190518_193114_998.jpg

There was a fire somewhere and I had to do a minor re-route before hitting the last Control at 215 miles. Relatively short stop to refill and throw on my reflective gear as it would be dark in the next hour.

Finished up with an 18mph average in 15-hours. 14 hour ride time. With red lights and stuff that normally effects moving time I think I was off the bike for 20ish minutes total. Rode about 45 minutes faster than last year despite being solo.

20190519_104022.jpg
IMG_20190518_220722_318.jpg

The battery on the new 830 is bananas. 69% left after 15 hours with no external power. Insanity. Easily will do a 600k without needing a charge.

IMG_20190519_114434_864.jpg

iman29

Wildwood 400k Pre-ride.

I left 2 hours after the rest of the pre-riding volunteers. I think there were 6 of them. I was planning on doing a bit of a pursuit and then maybe having a little company in the middle to break up a long day.

The section to the first Control was very fast on newly paved roads, meaning I got there ahead of opening time by about 15 minutes. Having no official Brevet Card though meant I could just carry on.

Get through the next Control ahead of time as well. Made up a 2 hour gap by the 3rd Control at 91-miles. The group was stopped there doing Rando things while I just said hi and rode through. First hundred miles were under 5-hours.

The section along the beach is always slow and windy, my pace dropped down to 18mph or so. Being solo I needed to mind my effort and stay in the green.

200k Control I sat down and took about 5-minutes, the first real break all day. 7:09 at the 50% mark.

Next section is on a bike path and requires dodging other trail users. Not fast. Also has a closed road. Cool section.

View attachment 95625

Blow through the 145-mile Control and make the push to the Rando's Mecca, Super Wawa at mile 179. There, I take another prolonged stop.

View attachment 95626

There was a fire somewhere and I had to do a minor re-route before hitting the last Control at 215 miles. Relatively short stop to refill and throw on my reflective gear as it would be dark in the next hour.

Finished up with an 18mph average in 15-hours. 14 hour ride time. With red lights and stuff that normally effects moving time I think I was off the bike for 20ish minutes total. Rode about 45 minutes faster than last year despite being solo.

View attachment 95627View attachment 95628

The battery on the new 830 is bananas. 69% left after 15 hours with no external power. Insanity. Easily will do a 600k without needing a charge.

View attachment 95629
OMFG!!

Steve Vai

Pre-lim for the NJ600k. It's my understanding that I'll be the first one to pre-ride the route and check the file. I'm working the Midnight shift at the Sleep Control during the actual Brevet so that should be a lot of fun. Not sure where I'll be for the 400, but I requested an early spot so I can get back to prep for the pre-ride.

Screenshot_20190519-210445_Ride with GPS.jpg

RNG1

Wow man, didn’t even know this kind of thing existed. No I’m not referring to the Garmin.
Nice work

Steve Vai

Six Hundo Prep.

So I got an early work assignment for the 400, like, the start. 4am-7am shift. That means I can leave to pre-ride the 600 at 7am and essentially be on course the same as the 400 with a 2 hour deficit. It's not the same route but hits a lot of the same areas so people will be around. There's a 27-hour time limit for the 400 so if I wanted to finish at the same time I'd need to bang out a 600 in 25 hours. Hm. Maybe?

20190521_084627.jpg
20190521_084639.jpg

Top Bottom