Moving to NJ.... Where to live???

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
I needed to read through 5 pages to give my 2 cents. Stay away from route 80. Don’t know if price, schools or crime grid matter so won’t try to tell you where you should live. Even if I did I still wouldn’t tell you where to live. As you can see there is a pattern. High mountain, Ringwood are some of the great trail systems near your work. Another great system is jungle habitat in West Milford 10 minutes west of Ringwood. All worth checking out. Feel free to join OOS on Strava as we have group rides often. Group ride Sunday 9am Jungle Habitat. Good luck in your search. Hope to see you on the trails.

Mr. E Man

Property taxes less in North NJ? I’m in Ridgewood and they are ridiculous. Would be afraid to see what the taxes are in other parts of the state.
And I’m sure they’ll keep going going going up! I have some good friends that teach in the area and they say the homes are ridiculous

rick81721

Lothar
At one time I was looking in Bucks County and the price of houses and property taxes were a fraction of Bergen County. Has that changed in the past few years?

I've been on realtor.com alot recently - we are looking for a new place. A quick look at houses across the river in pennsy, the difference in property taxes isn't as big as it used to be.

I needed to read through 5 pages to give my 2 cents. Stay away from route 80. Don’t know if price, schools or crime grid matter so won’t try to tell you where you should live. Even if I did I still wouldn’t tell you where to live. As you can see there is a pattern. High mountain, Ringwood are some of the great trail systems near your work. Another great system is jungle habitat in West Milford 10 minutes west of Ringwood. All worth checking out. Feel free to join OOS on Strava as we have group rides often. Group ride Sunday 9am Jungle Habitat. Good luck in your search. Hope to see you on the trails.
Thanks for the info, and maybe I’ll catch you this summer, on a group ride, looking forward to riding and learning some new trails.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Hopefully @I. Victor doesn't mind my posting his house. His taxes two years ago were over 100K.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/150-Brookside-Ave-Ridgewood-NJ-07450/38012845_zpid/
That is a little steep, but it is a nice place.
That’s down the road from me. A good example of why not to buy high end in Ridgewood. If someone is looking for a 3 plus million dollar house, they are better off in Saddle River, Franklin Lakes or Alpine as the tax base is much lower. I heard that the land was about a million(may be partially in a flood zone-not sure) and over 6-7 million to build the house (all hearsay). Meanwhile in Alpine there was an estate for sale for 50 million a few years ago and the taxes were $300,000 which is a relative bargain in comparison.

RetroGrouch

This guy is getting a true dose of jersey, half of all conversations that take place in NJ involve property taxes.

I don't understand the lone pork roll/taylor ham reference.

Well, there are now two.

Also, its East vs West Jersey, not north/central/south.

Captain Brainstorm

That’s down the road from me. A good example of why not to buy high end in Ridgewood. If someone is looking for a 3 plus million dollar house, they are better off in Saddle River, Franklin Lakes or Alpine as the tax base is much lower. I heard that the land was about a million(may be partially in a flood zone-not sure) and over 6-7 million to build the house (all hearsay). Meanwhile in Alpine there was an estate for sale for 50 million a few years ago and the taxes were $300,000 which is a relative bargain in comparison.

Yea, the houses in Saddle River, Franklin Lakes, and Alpine come with separate living quarters for the servants. In Ridgewood, you have to share the oxygen in the house with the help. Ewwwwww!

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Yea, the houses in Saddle River, Franklin Lakes, and Alpine come with separate living quarters for the servants. In Ridgewood, you have to share the oxygen in the house with the help. Ewwwwww!
Here is a more affordable alternative and can go riding instantly. It’s probably bigger than my house.

153B5426-C57A-454D-ACA5-BB3B5425E373.jpeg

JoeGio

Welcome to NJ, pay more, get less ... Been living near Bloomingdale since 1967.

Passaic County has some of best trails and open space but for the most part your looking at $1k/month in taxes to start.

Last edited:
Moving to NJ and being close to a trailhead is a nice thing to think about when self employed or so. If not and you do some sort of a 9 to 5 job, you should definitely prioritize your work commute and not look at the distance, but time to commute.
NJ traffic is a pain in the *** and ten miles can in extreme cases be like 30 minutes sometimes.

Moving to NJ and being close to a trailhead is a nice thing to think about when self employed or so. If not and you do some sort of a 9 to 5 job, you should definitely prioritize your work commute and not look at the distance, but time to commute.
NJ traffic is a pain in the *** and ten miles can in extreme cases be like 30 minutes sometimes.

Fortunately, I only drive to work 3 days a week, and would be on the road by 6AM, or after 7PM.
From what I’ve been told, I’ll be driving to work before traffic gets bad in the mornings, and that in the evenings it should be cleared up by the time I’m heading home.
Can relate to the bad traffic, where I’m at now is similar, a 15 mile drive can take 45 minutes, or more, if you try and do it around 8am or 5pm.

sundaydoug

I live in West Milford and work in Bergen County. West Milford is in the sticks, but I've got 1.5 acres of wooded property and taxes are $7800 if I recall correctly. I can pedal from my house and be at the trail head in about 30 seconds with access to 30 thousand acres of NJ state park.

There are good spots to live if you know where to look and don't mind a 1hr commute.

Off The Road Again

I’m going to be moving to NJ in August, and was looking to see if you guys could give me some insight on areas I should consider living. I’m a little bummed to be leaving to my local trails and the crew I ride with. But, I am looking forward to having new trails to ride and building a new network of buddies to ride with.

I’m looking to live somewhere that’s around a 30 minute commute to Wayne (or less) and want to live 20 minutes or less to good trails.

From what I’ve found online, living in the Ringwood or Wanaque area looks like it could be a good fit, but I want to make sure I’m not overlooking anything, as I’m not from the area.

Where I live now, some of our best trails are not easy to find, if you aren’t familiar with the area. Love trails with tech, rock, chunk, rolls, drops/senders etc.... I haven’t had a chance to ride in NJ yet, but I found some videos on YouTube, and Ramapo looks like a fun spot, as well as Ringwood. Is there anywhere else I should be looking?

Probably will take a trip(s) down in the coming weeks, to start looking for a place to live and def will bring a bike to get some riding in.

So, I’m looking for any insight before signing a lease or purchasing a home, and suggestions on where to ride.

Thanks!!!!
Welcome! If you like rock and tech, Wayne is a great spot. High Mt I believe is actually in Haledon, I could be wrong. But, Ramapo is right up the road (Skyline), Ringwood is up further, Jungle, Wawayanda is a little northwest but worth it, way worth it, Wildcat. Kitt and Mooch are worth the drive too. Drive an hour south and theres Chimney Rock and Sourlands. If you like rocks definitely hit Sourlands, serious boulders on those trails, not for the feint of heart.

Top Bottom