diablo bike park in Vernon

sixseven

there is not much info on the forum about this place. It is a good place for XC riding?
That is because Diablo is like the girl you have on the side when you are riding XC and XC what this site is mostly about.
XC is wanting to do the RIGHT THING. Diablo is what you REALLY WANT TO DO WHEN FRIDAY/SATURDAY/SUNDAY rolls around.
I went once and it is all I can think about since then. Everything else seems boring.
I love the XC thing, but Diablo is about game face and guilty pleasures...the place is all about fun, no climbs, all downhill, all of it pushing you to something you know you can do.
Its a drive, it costs more but it is TOTALLY WORTH EVERY MINUTE.

monteverest

I've never XC at Diablo but have heard second-hand that the XC trails are not well maintained. Besides, with Ringwood, Waway, and about a dozen free parks nearby, there is really no incentive for Diablo to build or maintain an extensive XC network. If you do go, please drop a review on the trails.

Stocky

That is because Diablo is like the girl you have on the side when you are riding XC and XC what this site is mostly about.
XC is wanting to do the RIGHT THING. Diablo is what you REALLY WANT TO DO WHEN FRIDAY/SATURDAY/SUNDAY rolls around.
I went once and it is all I can think about since then. Everything else seems boring.
I love the XC thing, but Diablo is about game face and guilty pleasures...the place is all about fun, no climbs, all downhill, all of it pushing you to something you know you can do.
Its a drive, it costs more but it is TOTALLY WORTH EVERY MINUTE.

WOW, I've never been to Diablo ,but truer words have never been spoken....

about a girl on the side.
;)

Frank

Sasquatch
I give the guys who come on XC bike in spandex so much more credit compared to us in body armor and 8" travel bikes...those guys are nuts.

Very true...I was in shocked by a guy a few years ago riding a huge rigid bike with the saddle jacked. Granted he didn't hit the rockier trails but shit, that dude had some balls.:cool:

pinkshirtphotos

i started riding dh on an xc bike. loved doing it, then i got a real dh bike and loved it more. i miss that part of the sport but i put the past behind me. maybe if there is a massproduced 29er dh bike ill get back into it.

Spylab

To respond directly to the question posed by monfrair:

Diablo is emphatically NOT a destination for cross country riding. It has been designed for Freeride and Downhill use exclusively, and will not be your cup of tea if you are looking for the type of terrain paralleling Wawayanda, Mahlon Dickerson, KVSP etc.

Prior to the acquisition of the park by Shawn Orecchio, a small series of cross country trails existed at the summit - up until last year, Diablo offered a one-time pass up the lift for those interested in riding these trails and making their way down the mountain at the end. After exploring some of these in 2006, it is clear that this small network has been abandoned by the staff and is no longer an enjoyable ride.

Diablo Freeride Park caters to full suspension, longer travel bikes and riders looking for an adrenaline rush and to "push the envelope" of personal confidence and ability. A day pass will get you unlimited trips up the mountain via the Cabriolet gondola, and it is up to your willpower to choose the way down that best suits your riding style and experience. Whereas a day of riding cross country will tax not only your leg muscles but your cardio system, a day at Diablo is less about pedaling and more about controlling your bike, meaning your arms, shoulders and pecs suffer the most abuse.

Most frequent visitors have seen first-time or new riders at the park using hardtail or short stroke full suspension cross country bikes, along with the standard XC garb such as water bottles, XC helmets, backpacks and so forth. Though I personally got into the sport this way, and many others did as well, don't be fooled into thinking that a cross country bike is built for a lot of the rugged, steep terrain or technical drop-offs throughout the park.

The state parks in the area best cater to cross country bike riding. Don't put Diablo on your list unless you are prepared for the type of riding you will need to do to stay safe and have fun.

Top Bottom