Dirt Bikers

T

thelmuffinman

So my girlfriend and I decided to do the full Six Mile Run today begining (Canal Rd.) to end (Rt. 27) and back, for our first time. All was going well until about 20 minutes in when I hear the obnoxious sounds of two stroke motors. About five minutes after that, these two guy come flying past my girlfriend and I through a river/ladder bridge. I thought to myself, wow why don't they find their own trail. As if that wasn't bad enough they stopped a little up ahead and waited for us to pass them, then started back up and proceeded to rip it past us again. This happened one more time still!! And the third time it was in the fields they just completely through dirt and exhaust in our faces doing about 50 past us. :getsome: I was pretty pissed. Ok, now that my rant is done, who can I call next time this happens, because I for one am not o.k. with dirtbikes riding on horse/people/bike trails!

T

thelmuffinman

On a better note, I met up with Jim V. at High Gear and he gave me back my cateye wireless head. Thanks again man!

T

thelmuffinman

call the cops. really, a lot of work is put into those trails and dirt bikes will ruin them.
Really? Do you think they'd react in a quick manner or would it be better to call like a ranger or some shit first. Nah, I guess the cops does make sense lol.

The Kalmyk

I've bumped into em a couple times and pretty much don't leave much option but to haul ass quickly out of the park:getsome:

wonderturtle

I'd call the Park service/ rangers.

not sure the Police can do much. it's State land, not sure there would be a TOWN ordinance enforceable by the Police against it.

Wobbegong

The park advised us to either call the Franklin Township police at 732-873-2300 or 1(800)WARN-DEP (NJDEP Hotline) to report this. Also let them know its illegal to ride the trails at six mile if you dont feel threatened to do so.

We had some serious trail damage a few years ago from dirt bikes. Its a really bad thing if they ride through in the winter when trails are not frozen. They dug huge ruts in the trails from the weight of the bikes.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
This Sucks!

This is about 500 times more serious than helmet-less mt bikers.

If you hear them coming turn you bike 90 degrees to the trail so they have no choice but to stop.

Make a hand signal for them to cut the engine.

Tell them that they are absolutely looking for major legal trouble and possible permanent seizure of their bikes.

Before anyone jumps down my throut... I grew up in Maine where snowmobiles, dirtbikes and ATVs are a way of life. I love them.

There is NO place for them at 6 mile. Period.

R

roadrocket

Plan of action

Agree with the above. I saw the tire marks left on the trail yesterday, and they are already causing damage. I have heard them around the park too. These mother#$%&* are fearless!
This is my plan: You hide in the bushes if you hear them coming and tie a rope between two trees... more or less at the level of the neck and when they pass by... wohoo! check your rope and make sure he is still alive and hanging from it . Step 2: tie him up hands and feet. Step 3: wrap a piece of duct tape around his mouth and tie him to a tree. Call the cops and haul ass!!!! :getsome::rofl:

Just kidding...
You should call the cops. period.

beep-beep

Jerzeejoe

road rocket, thats not something to really joke about i know ya were being sarcastic but that is true life stuff that happens down south in the pine barrens. If franklin twp does get invloved they should impond the bikes atthe least. Im almost willing to bet they are some kids just looking for somewhere to ride unfortunately 6 mile is not the place for them. technically there is no legal woods riding in Nj with the exception being in chatsworth at the NJorvp. If you really want to stop em carry a zip tie that is slighty connected and when they approach you stop them then get the zip tie wrapped around the left hadgrip with the clutch lever pulled in that way the bike wont engage into gear. Just a tid bit of info since i ride MX but only do it on a track like Englishtown.. I hope this situation gets resolved like yesterday..

jdog

Shop Keep
road rocket, thats not something to really joke about i know ya were being sarcastic but that is true life stuff that happens down south in the pine barrens. If franklin twp does get involved they should impound the bikes Arther least. I'm almost willing to bet they are some kids just looking for somewhere to ride unfortunately 6 mile is not the place for them. technically there is no legal woods riding in Nj with the exception being in chatsworth at the NJorvp. If you really want to stop em carry a zip tie that is slighty connected and when they approach you stop them then get the zip tie wrapped around the left hadgrip with the clutch lever pulled in that way the bike wont engage into gear. Just a tid bit of info since i ride MX but only do it on a track like Englishtown.. I hope this situation gets resolved like yesterday..

This is a serious deal. With so many folks posting and riding this spot we should have a good deal of people out there to control this.

My worst fear is that 2 guys are out there riding MX bikes.. They tell their buddies how great it is and before we know it the place is straight up destroyed.

After thinking about this some more it would seem to me that this place wouldn't be that fun unless you were a super skilled enduro type rider.

Could the average kid on a 125 ride here with speed??

Jerzeejoe

well to be somewhat even fast in 6 mile you would first have to cut your bars down at least a 1/2 in or moe on each side since the trail is tight im between the trees in some areas. But as far as carrying speed i highly doubt it unless they are riding along the fire roads near the fields

wonderturtle

what law prevents them from riding there?

I ask this since, if someone was to stop them and tell them they cant ride there, they would probably ask - "who says?"

would we cite a certain law/ordinance/park regulation?

fasterthanliam

This is a serious deal. With so many folks posting and riding this spot we should have a good deal of people out there to control this.

My worst fear is that 2 guys are out there riding MX bikes.. They tell their buddies how great it is and before we know it the place is straight up destroyed.

After thinking about this some more it would seem to me that this place wouldn't be that fun unless you were a super skilled enduro type rider.

Could the average kid on a 125 ride here with speed??

the skilled rider is smooth and does less damage . the kid with a heavy throttle and brake does far more damage. we all carry phones so use them. approaching the guys make them leave for now , just ignore and call and they will still be there when the cops show. also try and see where they are coming in from we can block it off. i have many chainsaws.

jdog

Shop Keep
what law prevents them from riding there?

I ask this since, if someone was to stop them and tell them they cant ride there, they would probably ask - "who says?"

would we cite a certain law/ordinance/park regulation?

It is certainly illegal. There are plenty of No Motorized Vehicles on park land posters around.

I e-mailed some folks I know at the D&R Parks comission and they are very concerned. They actually asked "did they hurt the mt bike trails"..

They know they are in the wrong. It is more than reasonable to think that they are mt bikers. They may even post or read this board.

We need to end this quick. Really.

T

thelmuffinman

I didn't want to stir anything up because there were two of them and they were acting a bit rowdy, not to mention I was with my girlfriend. Next time, hopefully something more can ben done...:getsome:

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
If I see them back there, I'll surely say something. I was out on friday morning and we heard some whistles and air horns and yelling in a foreign language, but couldn't find the source of it. Almost sounded like some sort of drills or sports training. . . Anybody know what that could be?

T

thelmuffinman

now that you mention it I heard the same thing yesterday.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions