Car-spotting thread

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I would like to get my personal car weighed and provided a weight cert to show the DMV my car is X pounds and not Y pounds. How do I do this? They lady on phone at njdmv was not helpful when I asked where do I go do this and how much it costs.

registered weight is not the weight of the car, it is the max rated loaded weight of the car provided by the manufacturer.
make sure to weigh it with a full charge ;)

should be able to shoot the qr code on the door frame for this info.

THATmanMANNY

nah it's the 2001 m3. The Model 3 is cheaper to renew... (I won't question that)
She said that if I get a weighed and have a weight certificate my reg fee can be adjusted.
Or she can just be BS'ing me.

Patrick

Staff member
nah it's the 2001 m3. The Model 3 is cheaper to renew... (I won't question that)
She said that if I get a weighed and have a weight certificate my reg fee can be adjusted.
Or she can just be BS'ing me.

that would still be curb weight.

see if they will provide a weight certificate at the Pilot travel center in Clinton.

don't get caught driving overweight.......

how much are you going to save? the metro was $46

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
the m3 is probably 72, thats what my challenger costs . . . . is it worth the hassle for $30 . . . . thats not even a full tank of gas

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
$30 bucks! but lets say I keep this car for 10 years that's $300 bucks
It's about the principle!
Edison is convenient. Thanks!

thats fine if you only have to do it once, but knowing the NJ MVC your gonna have to do it yearly! (i have no proof or confirmation, just speculating)

Patrick

Staff member
$30 bucks! but lets say I keep this car for 10 years that's $300 bucks
It's about the principle!
Edison is convenient. Thanks!

weigh-in isn't going to be free - and $200 over 10 years isn't worth squat 72-46 isn't 30. esp while waiting in line for an hour to get on the scale.
then waiting at the dmv an hour cause nobody knows how to re-certify a car's weight. go find a way to make $100 in that time
instead. it will double in 10 years, and you'll be even.

you'd need to register under 3,500 lbs to get the reduction.
the curb weight of the car is probably over that.

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/vehicles/regfees.htm

look at class 7 and 8

rick81721

Lothar
weigh-in isn't going to be free - and $200 over 10 years isn't worth squat 72-46 isn't 30. esp while waiting in line for an hour to get on the scale.
then waiting at the dmv an hour cause nobody knows how to re-certify a car's weight. go find a way to make $100 in that time
instead. it will double in 10 years, and you'll be even.

you'd need to register under 3,500 lbs to get the reduction.
the curb weight of the car is probably over that.

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/vehicles/regfees.htm

look at class 7 and 8

Lowest curb weight is ~3400, assuming stripped model. He's probably right on the edge if he weighs it with 1 gal gas in the tank. I wouldn't bother!

Patrick

Staff member
Will spend $15 in gas to get to truck stop to save $30. #tesladriverlogic

not that anyone would ever notice that a passenger car is registered below weight (class 7 rather than 8), what would happen?

if the scale says curb weight of 3400 (not dry weight, cause 7 qts oil), and they actually register the car below 3500, and a 15 gallon tank of gas weight 90lbs, + driver (thinking 125 for this one ;))
that puts it over registered GVW....

--
hell, if going to weigh it, pull the seats, the spare, the air cleaner, 1 lug nut off each wheel.....maybe get down to 3300

THATmanMANNY

From day one you guys had it out for me. I'll say my piece and ask Norm to be removed.
I'm also just curious what the car weighs
I don't spend any extra on gas because I can pass the station on my commute.
We forgo spending like $3k/yr on gas between our two EVs. If a household has two long commutes in the household... up to $5k a year?
No gas, no oil changes, no diff, no trans, no coolant, no gaskets, no belts, 100k mi brake pads, list goes on, and FUN to drive.
Keep drinking that gas. I'll take the kool-aid.
Ya'll need to get a grip. Teslas are mid 30s to 100k+ and more than 50 percent are Model 3s now and increasing.

Patrick

Staff member
Ya know if ya poke anyone hard enough, it starts to get annoying.
Sorry there Manny....should just state my case and move on.

one piece crank

No gas, no oil changes, no diff, no trans, no coolant, no gaskets, no belts, 100k mi brake pads, list goes on, and FUN to drive.
Keep drinking that gas. I'll take the kool-aid.

True, but I don't really consider these costs to reach a decision point that I'm against internal combustion engines. Quite the opposite, it doesn't really matter to me what my maintenance costs are, I provide the labor to keep them in top condition, and it equally doesn't matter what gallon of fuel sells for either - just the cost of living my life. If I continue to do my part, they should develop even better Teslas for you, and maybe eventually a fuel cell for me.

THATmanMANNY

buahaha Thanks but I assure you I'm okay and will sleep fine.
Was just kidding about leaving if that wasn't obv
But you are right it is getting annoying! ha
TO EACH THEIR OWN

i get ya @one piece crank but MAJORITY do not provide their own labor. Case by case.

Top Bottom