Moving to NJ.... Where to live???

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Plenty of rural in NJ, the only difference is it is next to huge metro areas.

Oh, and live in Easton, it is the outer edge of feasible commutes to the city.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Plenty of rural in NJ, the only difference is it is next to huge metro areas.

Oh, and live in Easton, it is the outer edge of feasible commutes to the city.
Which city?
Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Capture1.PNG

rxpxskier

does it matter, rental? lol
60K if you really want to know...
looks like the most expensive could be at Riverwalk for 33K and only a 2 BR
HAHA no it doesn't because if I had that kind of money, I wouldn't live in NJ. Id be working the system to not pay income tax HA

roc

Wayne is a possibility as well, but was considering trying to live somewhere that felt a little more rural. Not shooting to live riding distance to trails, but that would be nice.
I don’t know what the rental market is like in Oakland, and it’s more suburban than rural, but it fits all you criteria. Less than 30 to anywhere in Wayne no matter what time/traffic. 10 min to Ramapo 20min to any trail in ringwood. 10 min to high mountain, 15 tops. 25min to jungle. If you’re ridin’ 4 days a week and like rocks, you’ll love riding from ramapo into ringwood.

JerseyPete

Does the OP want to go to either Philly or NYC? No one has asked OP on where he stands on sports teams, Taylor ham egg and cheese, Italian subs, etc.

phillychris498

@dmorrissette I'm up at Bentley in Waltham going to school most of the year, and I ride Lynn Woods and School Street mostly. A lot of the riding in North Jersey is pretty similar. I will say that there is more climbing in NJ, and less in terms of big, bike-park like features like BnT's features. In terms of parks you'd like the most in NJ, I think Mahlon Dickerson in Jefferson/near Andover and Ringwood are similar to the likes of Northshore Mass. Check out Sourlands in the middle of NJ once you're here too, that's very similar to BnTs with riding up and down smooth rollers.

JerseyPete

If you don't have/want kids and want to ride as much as possible and be near your job, as long as you don't mind a little toxic issue I would suggest Pompton Lakes. If you get into Pierson Miller Dr rentals, Cannonball is right there. High Mtn is not far and Top of Skyline for Ringwood is a few miles away.
Just drink/cook/brush teeth with bottled water.
https://www.northjersey.com/story/n...al-contaminate-pompton-lakes-homes/947802001/

Rentals I am talking about:
https://www.zillow.com/b/100-pierson-miller-dr-pompton-lakes-nj-5Xj8zf/

https://goo.gl/maps/BsVYymco2YWZ3Vhu6

BTW, when I was single and lived in Pompton Lakes I was in great shape, had dark hair, was taller, and rode every day. And there was better flow in Ramapo.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think I’d be looking east of rt 287 and north of rt 80. I’m in Denville and would hesitate to commute too far east due to traffic. The more northwest you go from Wayne the less developed it’ll be but you don’t wanna go too far and kill the work shuffle.

That said the Caldwell’s, Roseland, some of the Oranges...that area is pretty nice ‘burbs and there’s always the Forbidden Forest.

Ringwood, Ramapo and Waywayanda should have all the rocks you’ll need. If access to that is more important then I’d try and stay in the box more north.

Ian F

Depending on the time of day, it can 20 to 30 minutes just to get from one side of Wayne to the other. Early morning isn't too bad most of the time, but afternoon traffic pretty much blows from noon onward. My ex- is from Wayne, so I spent a fair amount of time there.

A friend lives in Hackettstown. Very close to some fun trails in Allamuchy and Stephens. Slightly more rural by NNJ standards. No area of NJ will really feel "rural" compared to some parts of western MA.

pxs231

How flexible are your work hours? The commute towards NYC and it’s traffic is very time dependent. We used to live in Hopatcong (terrible schools, lowish taxes, very close 15-20 minutes to a lot of great riding). My wife commuted from there to Paterson for many years and sat in that traffic. If she left early enough, about 6:30am, she could get to Paterson in 45 minutes. The major choke points are around exit 35 (Rockaway) and exit 42-45 (intersection with 287 and 280). If you can get stay east of RT 15 it will help your commute significantly.
I personally would optimize the commute over riding vicinity since there are many great riding options north of RT 80. If you can save 20 minutes on your commute everyday, you can put that time towards driving to your favorite Mtb spot a few times a week and still be ahead.

serviceguy

I personally think you would love Ringwood, refer to @Mr.Moto's post for trail proximity, but there's a lot anyway. I moved to Ringwood a couple of years ago, happy to have done so even though my commute is horrible since I work in Secaucus, but the weekend makes up for it (if it ever stops rainign that is). Not sure about rental availability, I'm sure that you could find more rentals available in Wayne, and while renting scout for for a house to buy in Ringwood.

Commuting to Haledon wouldn't be too bad as you would take 287 north for about a mile, then 208 which gets super busy but mostly further down than where you would be exiting. There are alternatives too.

I also did a few simulations before buying, driving very early up to Ringwood and commute to work, then drive back to Ringwood from work.

Lookup the Cupsaw area in Ringwood, not too expensive and very close to the main access to the trail system.

Keep in mind that this is mostly a septic tank area (the few that have sewer are being killed by its cost, or so I am told).

Also, look up for the next OOS ride in Ringwood, maybe you can join us for a taste of the area.

I don’t know what the rental market is like in Oakland, and it’s more suburban than rural, but it fits all you criteria. Less than 30 to anywhere in Wayne no matter what time/traffic. 10 min to Ramapo 20min to any trail in ringwood. 10 min to high mountain, 15 tops. 25min to jungle. If you’re ridin’ 4 days a week and like rocks, you’ll love riding from ramapo into ringwood.
Thanks. Will look into homes in that area.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
@dmorrissette not sure if having a town center (shops, restaurants, theatre, etc) is important for you. If so, keep in mind Wayne (which is where my wife is from) and many N.J. towns don’t have a true town center but rather a collection of shopping centers here and there. Given your riding preferences, I would suggest, as many others have you look north of 80. And in that area the town that comes to mind is Ridgewood. 30 to 40 mins from Ringwood, Jungle, Wawayanda, Ramapo/Skyline. Also has a train line if you ever want to get into NYC without driving. Ridgewood can be very pricey in spots but worth checking out.

I personally think you would love Ringwood, refer to @Mr.Moto's post for trail proximity, but there's a lot anyway. I moved to Ringwood a couple of years ago, happy to have done so even though my commute is horrible since I work in Secaucus, but the weekend makes up for it (if it ever stops rainign that is). Not sure about rental availability, I'm sure that you could find more rentals available in Wayne, and while renting scout for for a house to buy in Ringwood.

Commuting to Haledon wouldn't be too bad as you would take 287 north for about a mile, then 208 which gets super busy but mostly further down than where you would be exiting. There are alternatives too.

I also did a few simulations before buying, driving very early up to Ringwood and commute to work, then drive back to Ringwood from work.

Lookup the Cupsaw area in Ringwood, not too expensive and very close to the main access to the trail system.

Keep in mind that this is mostly a septic tank area (the few that have sewer are being killed by its cost, or so I am told).

Also, look up for the next OOS ride in Ringwood, maybe you can join us for a taste of the area.
Cool, sounds like I’m looking in the right area then.

THATmanMANNY

Since we are talking commutes. I commute 2 hours, ONE WAY.
1557510756613.png

It just becomes the norm and I need to be super efficient with my time. I am totally astonished it's been 5 years! Thought I wouldn't last one.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Since we are talking commutes. I commute 2 hours, ONE WAY.
View attachment 94999
It just becomes the norm and I need to be super efficient with my time. I am totally astonished it's been 5 years! Thought I wouldn't last one.
I did 27 years so you got some catching up to do, but once you hang up those commuting gloves it's over Johnny. I have been back to NYC exactly once in the last 6 years and that was once too many :)

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I agree with Oakland and even Wyckoff. You can waste so much time commuting, when you could be riding. If rural is preferred, Ringwood is perfect for mountain bikers that like rocks. Plus, we would love some more trail building volunteers ;). Not sure if NJ is mandatory, but there are some sweet condos in NY just over the border of Ringwood that lie between Ringwood State Park and Sterling, which is another great riding spot.

Top Bottom