Moving to NJ.... Where to live???

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Did you guys read op??? These areas you are suggesting are really crappy commutes to Wayne and the trails in the area are not what he was looking for.
My bad, I misread it. Boonton is a good location close by with somewhat of a night life.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The Atlantic Highlands is a hidden gem. Close to the beach, sandy hook, hartshorne, allaire, chimney rock but at the same time u can ride the hills or be on the flats. Also the ferry to nyc is close by. I live in hazlet but would move to AH if I did it again.

Capture.PNG
???????????

Kids? Schools important? Wayne is right about where Essex, Morris and Passaic counties collide. Different taxes in different counties. Also school are highly variable by town. Def. recommend renting for a bit before buying. Local traffic patterns could mean the difference between a 5 minute commute and a 25 minute commute for the same distance.

My office is essentially in Wayne. High Mountain is good. Chunky, hilly. If your office is in Haledon, you might even be able to ride from work.
No kids and don’t plan to have any, so I don’t need to worry about the schools.

qclabrat

No kids and don’t plan to have any, so I don’t need to worry about the schools.
Paterson has a horrible school system, but that's good to know
Unfortunately North NJ is known for generally decent schools. Look north and west of Wayne. East will be expensive and South has places like Paterson

You’re gonna base your living area on Mtb’ing? Is there a significant other involved here ?
Depending on your $ - wants- Bradley Beach would be on my list , Brielle , Manalpan, Ridgewood , Montvale , Tenafly ... Upper Freehold to name a few.
You should get feedback on the 287 area and it’s traffic nightmare before making any moves - Bergen Cty is expensive & congested.
Yeah, will be factoring biking into where I live. Usually ride 4 days a week, and don’t want to be driving 45 minutes to get to good trails. That’d be 1.5 hrs round trip in the car, really don’t want to be doing that 4 days a week just to get to trails I like. Some of the areas you mentioned look nice to live in, but seem pretty far away from where in Wayne I need to be close to. And yeah definitely curious what traffic is like on 287, 202 and Skyline Dr, maybe someone on here will chime in on that.

Last edited:
Paterson has a horrible school system, but that's good to know
Unfortunately North NJ is known for generally decent schools. Look north and west of Wayne. East will be expensive and South has places like Paterson
Cool, was down there not too long ago and was checking out the area, looked at some places north west of Wayne and it seemed pretty nice out there. Curious how the traffic commuting to Wayne on 287, 202 and skyline drive is.

qclabrat

Cool, was down there not too long ago and was checking out the area, looked at some places north west of Wayne and it seemed pretty nice out there. Curious how the traffic commuting to Wayne on 287, 202 and skyline drive is.
287 is generally pretty terrible down by me near I78, even worse going further south. Wayne is somewhat densely populated as is much of Bergen and Essex county.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Skyline Dr and 287 in rush hour can get backed up at times, but not all the time, and not as bad as 80 in my opinion. I am retired and avoid rush hour, so maybe someone else can chime in. There are a few other towns close by and west of 287 like: Pequannock, Butler, Riverdale etc.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
If your working in haledon you’ll have access to high mountain, which has a decent amount of trails. So at least you won’t have to go far for an after work ride. Wyckoff, midland park, glen rock and ridgewood are towns near Haledon that are nice, and not far from ringwood ramapo. I think you’ll have to give yourself a big search area for apartments and focus on finding an apt you like. I’m a former masshole and the jersey rental market is weird, you don’t find many tenements outside of the rougher areas.

Mr.Moto

I don't know if you are closer to the north side or south side of Wayne for work. That Route 46 / 23 / 80 area can get pretty messy. Traffic tends to run west to east / north to south from that area in the morning and the reverse in the evening. I would say that a commute to Wayne from the north isn't terrible depending on where your coming from. I live in Ringwood and coming over Skyline Drive in the morning can be slow but usually bearable depending on what time your headed out, but you have a number of options to get to Wayne.

I like the convenience of having Ringwood / Ramapo, Sterling, Jungle, Way Way and High Mountain in close proximity.

Your in for a tax shock coming into NJ if you buy. My SIL who lives in Marlborough, MA pays about 1/3 of what we pay in property taxes.

What other amenities are you looking for in the area you want to live? Night life, shopping? Want more rural - look north and west of Wayne.

JerseyPete

If you don't have/want kids and want to ride as much as possible and be near your job, as long as you don't mind a little toxic issue I would suggest Pompton Lakes. If you get into Pierson Miller Dr rentals, Cannonball is right there. High Mtn is not far and Top of Skyline for Ringwood is a few miles away.
Just drink/cook/brush teeth with bottled water.
https://www.northjersey.com/story/n...al-contaminate-pompton-lakes-homes/947802001/

Rentals I am talking about:
https://www.zillow.com/b/100-pierson-miller-dr-pompton-lakes-nj-5Xj8zf/

https://goo.gl/maps/BsVYymco2YWZ3Vhu6

Top Bottom