Road Pedals/Shoes

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
So, maybe I will fall completely to the DARK side and get road shoes/pedals.

I was looking at a Nashbar catalog yesterday and I see there are SPD/Look compatible pedals and also Time pedals.

Which is the way to go?? I don't want to spend big $$$. Is it just preference and no clip is compatible with mtb pedals/shoes?

I think I also saw that the shoe was cleat specific, is this right? or is it like MTB shoes that can fit any cleat.

I was thinking Times since I have Times on all my MTB, but I guess it doesn't matter, because the Cleats are not compatible and in any case I want Road specific shoes anyway.

:hmmm::hmmm:

thanks

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
The Speedplay Zero's are really nice pedals. They do a more budget conscious version with a cro-moly axle.They have a large cleat-to-pedal surface area which feels wonderful. They also have adjustable float from 0-15 degrees.

-Jim.

J-Dro

You will love the larger surface area that the road cleats use. I used my Time MTB pedals on my road bike for a while but the small cleat leaves a "hot spot" on your foot that bothered me on longer rides.

I went with good old Shimano pedals since that what my LBS (halter's) had in stock. I also didn't want to spend alot of money, but I walked out with Sidi's anyway because nothing fit quite as well and road riding NEEDS comfy shoes.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
+ 1 on the Speedplay Zeros. Combined with my Specialized shoes(awesome shoes) and adjusted to minimal float, my knee issues are not an issue.
If you get the Speedplay, also get the coffee shop caps($10) to keep the crap out of them and keep from damaging the cleats... even for walking a few feet.

I saw some shoes last year that were pre-drilled to accommodate a number of different set ups, don't remember which brand. And true, you want them to fit right and be comfortable right away.

BiknBen

So, maybe I will fall completely to the DARK side and get road shoes/pedals.

If you are unsure about the dark side, I would suggest you buy another pair of MTB pedals to use on the Road bike. Especially, since you mentioned you want to keep costs down.

There is no functional difference between a Road and MTB shoe. MTB shoes are much more versatile. Many brands have similar MTB and Road shoes and the only difference is the sole. Only the fashion police insist you wear road shoes on a road bike.

If you have cash to burn it may be better to get a winter MTB shoe or simply a new/better MTB stuff. My point is that you will get far more return on your investment staying with the MTB stuff.

But it you insist...I prefer Speedplays pedals. Extremely easy entry/exit. Low profile for better turning clearance. Couple different models to choose from. There are a couple cons though. Cleats have to be replaced a little more often and are susceptible to dirt/sand. I use cleat caps when I have to walk around.

FWIW, I use my MTB stuff when riding my cross bike on the road. I've even shown up at roadie group rides with this. :eek:

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
No doubt that mtb shoes/pedals will get you going on the road for less money up front and will do fine, but I would offer that dedicated road shoes are generally lighter and stiffer, which is a functional benefit you can feel if you begin putting in more than occasional road miles. It has already been mentioned that road pedals offer a larger platform, and this is another functional benefit that grows in value as your time on the road bike increases. More comfy/better power transfer.

As for pedal choice, it's tough to go wrong with Speedplay, Look, Time, or Shimano. As with mtb pedals, each brand's pedals tend to be functionally identical and only differ by weight as you go up through the price points.

Speedplay has the moving parts in the cleat, while the other three use a simpler cleat and the springs/retention mechanism are in the pedal.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
thanks guys....
I am still on the fence about it.
I have the MTB pedals on it now and I thought my feet was getting tired because of the smaller surface, but yesterday on the NYCC my feet felt fine :hmmm: perhaps all the stopping during the course :hmmm:
Then I was looking at the roadies as they were walking on the 'checkpoints' those shoes look so stiff!!...reminded me of ski boots vs snowboard boots....

I dunno about jumping completely onto the dark side, but yesterday I had a lot of fun at the NYCC and I am already thinking about the Pumpkin Patch Ride and another 100m on Oct 5 that is in NY, I think for MS? Supposedly crosses Lincoln & gWB

thanks again for the advice..

lawndart

Shop: Campmor
Shop Keep
same setup

+ 1 on the Speedplay Zeros. Combined with my Specialized shoes(awesome shoes) and adjusted to minimal float, my knee issues are not an issue.
If you get the Speedplay, also get the coffee shop caps($10) to keep the crap out of them and keep from damaging the cleats... even for walking a few feet.

I saw some shoes last year that were pre-drilled to accommodate a number of different set ups, don't remember which brand. And true, you want them to fit right and be comfortable right away.

went frim Look Keos and Sidi Geniuses to Speedplay Zeros and Specialized shoes. Love em!!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
FWIW, I use my MTB stuff when riding my cross bike on the road. I've even shown up at roadie group rides with this. :eek:

totally unacceptable.

if you have the cash, drop it on the road setup but as ben noted, the winter shoe idea is good since you can use the same shoe for both mtb and road without having to worry about booties or anything...

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
already have the winter shoes....so looks like I am sticking with MTB setup...unless I win some road shoes in a raffle :rofl:

Top Bottom