Why the Elevation on your GPS Receiver isn't "Close Enough"

What tranny issues? Doesn't show on consumer reports last 3 years - all "much better than average". Subaru is #1 brand this year. Wouldn't consider a volvo.

Having driven a Forester for 7 years now, no complaints here. Had the oil consumption issue fixed. No tranny issues at all. Unfortunately boring to drive because it’s almost too safe.

Having driven a Forester for 7 years now, no complaints here. Had the oil consumption issue fixed. No tranny issues at all. Unfortunately boring to drive because it’s almost too safe.

Oil consumption? That sounds strangely familiar. Get a new motor??

They gave me a new short block assembly. Subbies use a real low weight oil and it was burning off. They addressed it now. And I have half of my engine brand new. So I’ll take it. It was a recall they did a couple years ago.

Good deal! Did they change the recommended oil weight? Honda is using 0W20 now, as are most mfg's I believe...

Good deal! Did they change the recommended oil weight? Honda is using 0W20 now, as are most mfg's I believe...

They kept the same oil weight at 0w20. I’m still in the mindset of 10w30. My last bike used 10w40 and gear oil (something insane like 75w80) for the air box. But that was a ‘78 Honda so it’s a whole other world.

Different distances from different riders on the same ride. I know that it really doesn't matter that much but it drives me nuts.

wheel sensor and settings make a big difference.
i think i'll go for a mtb ride with my watch, phone, elemnt recording... then i can always pick the longer/faster one.

i think i'll go for a mtb ride with my watch, phone, elemnt recording... then i can always pick the longer/faster one.
I did it with the 3 Garmin's I mentioned and the Oregon was the cleanest looking (not jagged lines).

So you mean to tell me that different devices will give different results?

]
So you mean to tell me that different devices will give different results?
Yes, a few things in play:

One, recording settings, how often the gps grabs a point. At some place like six mile, you have 100 little turns. If your sample rate is less often then your buddy, you gps trail will miss all those little turns, which can be up to a mile less the full loop. Gps accuracy comes into play here too.

Wheel sensor makes it pretty balls on as you can adjust the roll out length of the wheel by the mm. I have one on both my road bikes, but people don’t typically run a wheel sensor on mtb.

]
Yes, a few things in play:

One, recording settings, how often the gps grabs a point. At some place like six mile, you have 100 little turns. If your sample rate is less often then your buddy, you gps trail will miss all those little turns, which can be up to a mile less the full loop. Gps accuracy comes into play here too.

Wheel sensor makes it pretty balls on as you can adjust the roll out length of the wheel by the mm. I have one on both my road bikes, but people don’t typically run a wheel sensor on mtb.
I knew about GPS only being accurate to a few yards but I honestly did not know that there were different sample rates, that explains what I'm seeing. Seriously, thank you!

I knew about GPS only being accurate to a few yards but I honestly did not know that there were different sample rates, that explains what I'm seeing. Seriously, thank you!
This is the garmin 520:
Recording Interval
Controls how the device records activity data. The Smart option records key points where you change direction, speed, or heart rate. The 1 Sec option records points every second. It creates a very detailed record of your activity and increases the size of the stored activity file.

This pretty much brings it all back to the original point. You will never get the exact same GPS measurement twice, even with the high dollar corrected survey grade equipment and using the exact same settings every time. Even more so for consumer grade units, and this is only talking about your horizontal (lat/long). When you start talking about elevations, your margin of error is typically at least 2x the horizontal so it all goes out the window.

How can I find the flattest possible route from point My house to my job, while only using back roads? Is there a mapping site with accurate elevation? Is this possible?

I have not read this thread so sorry in advance if it was already discussed.

Hmm I tend the other way. I have speed sensors on all my mtn bikes but not al my roadies. I figured GPS speed is more accurate in road and have just been running with it while I know the accuracy is lowered in the woods and I don't want to miss the twisties on the trails....

Back
Top Bottom