The Road to Somewhere

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Piss poor turnout.

Numbers for everything right now are bad. It is pretty much the worst time of the year, I mean statistically it's the dump truck season. From a website perspective, every number is shit. Threads, posts, views, likes - all hit rock bottom now. The snow that is going to wipe out the ST races doesn't help. People just bury themselves now.

I looked at your thread the other day and you had posted 4 times in a row with no response. The community is collectively thinking about being somewhere else.

It'll pass. But like I said elsewhere, don't look outside.

xc62701

Yea it sucks but we have to push on through. Looks like we”ll have some melt next week and hopefully get moving towards spring. At least the clocks will go ahead and give us some later daylight so we can be less depressed.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Piss poor turnout. One family. I know it's not on everyone's minds at this point of the season but we're making an effort and trying to get it up and running. I have 6 kids registered for the club so hopefully we can draw from there and spread the word. We will have open signups for the remainder of the season so once the kids see us riding around school I'm hoping that they will show interest and join us and hopefully want to participate in the NICA team.
One of the local Dirt Tours in PA had a similar turn out.

Honestly, I am not sure how these Dirt Tour "press releases" are supposed to be seen by people who don't know that NICA exists. I guess it is always a matter of posting in the right place, but as a NICA coach, I was confused on what the information session was supposed to be about (not yours, in general).

In any case, good luck. Our team will have a table at a community event this weekend and from posting a flyer about that, we have been contacted by 4 families with questions. It seems the most effective location was a TWP related facebook page.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Piss poor turnout. One family. I know it's not on everyone's minds at this point of the season but we're making an effort and trying to get it up and running. I have 6 kids registered for the club so hopefully we can draw from there and spread the word. We will have open signups for the remainder of the season so once the kids see us riding around school I'm hoping that they will show interest and join us and hopefully want to participate in the NICA team.

Honestly, I am not sure how these Dirt Tour "press releases" are supposed to be seen by people who don't know that NICA exists. I guess it is always a matter of posting in the right place, but as a NICA coach, I was confused on what the information session was supposed to be about (not yours, in general).

In any case, good luck. Our team will have a table at a community event this weekend and from posting a flyer about that, we have been contacted by 4 families with questions. It seems the most effective location was a TWP related facebook page.

The community events are great... Lots of foot traffic. Get cards to hand out from @KenS
Join all the community facebook groups for each town. The local parent's page. We also hung paper flyers for info sessions at the local ice cream, pizza, burger, and sandwich shops in town. Good luck.

xc62701

We tried to get the word out through flyers and social media at the school. I figured I’d start there but not many are thinking about biking right now. More like they are playing fortnite.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Agreed on all points, this time of year is rough. It was a great night regardless of turnout. The school is embracing the MTB team, and that is a huge win.
20190306_193207.jpg

xc62701

Agreed on all points, this time of year is rough. It was a great night regardless of turnout. The school is embracing the MTB team, and that is a huge win.View attachment 89541
I’m definitely disappointed in the low turnout but we have motivation and this thing is rolling. I’m going to push it to see how far it goes and I do hope it becomes the new golf. We’ll see. Better weather will bring more interest for sure. I’m thankful that you took time out your busy schedule @KenS and drive all this way to take a chance and help educate me as well.

xc62701

Ok so this past week was a flop. Too much crap going on and bad weather and waaaaay too much stress at home. I'm aiming for this week to be much better. God I hope it goes a lot smoother. I just have too much on my plate at the moment. I know things will get easier and it should improve but for the meantime cycling has been getting the shaft. It doesn't keep the athlete in me happy but it's good for the family. As a cyclist I want to do primarily cycling but I'm realizing that takes time. I'm going to have to get used to mixing in other activity to keep me and the family happy. I just want to get outside when I can and enjoy. So I'm thinking of hiking on the way home from work or running, kayaking, skiing, etc... Just mixing it up and enjoying what I can get in. With that being said I hope to get a big ride in this weekend.

The plan right now is to get back to consistency. Here's what my week looks like planned out:

Monday: 90m Ride after work outside
Tuesday: 60m Ride early before work zwift, afternoon hike or body weight exercise
Wednesday: 120m Ride after work outside
Thursday: 90m Ride after work outside
Friday: Rest day = rain sucks. Maybe go hike in the rain.
Saturday: 120m Early morning ride outside
Sunday: Zwift Century

So there's lots of consistency in there and it should help my mental game and my fitness start building again. The endurance motor is still in there somewhere but I need to get some efforts going and keep building intensity, strength, focus, skills, ... , everything. By the way I was totally joking about the zwift century. Anybody that knows me would know that I would rather cut a limb off than do that. I will be trying to get in an century. With the Stoopid 50 coming up though I want to make it as flat as possible. I will be climbing my ass off for that race and don't need to fatigue myself now. I will just worry about diet, and consistency.

Saturday night was the H2H awards dinner and it was great to see so many of those in the scene. I got to take home some new jerseys and the one I've been wanting to get for a long time. They finally gave out state championship jerseys and I have one in my collection now. It made me search through my closet to check out some of my other momentos as well. I may not be in the best place right now race wise but I still have fun and have been at it for a while it seems. Man this will be my 14th year of racing...

123D10E3-AEC5-4FB5-BA65-0C9035381FA2.jpeg
492F8626-8A97-4CE5-88DF-CD467CC4EE8B.png

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good seeing you the other night, congrats on series and state champ win!

Have a fun year racing. I try to mix it up as well throughout the year with some kayak, xc ski and yoga mixed in, I need breaks, + there is other cool stuff out there.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Nice job on the state championship!

i'm sure you'll settle into a routine that works for you and the family.

xc62701

Nice job on the state championship!

i'm sure you'll settle into a routine that works for you and the family.

Thanks!

I hope so. It seems to be an ever evolving routine with having one kid, then 2. But, we're done now so hopefully we can adapt to our family and our lifestyle and get things a little more consistent.

xc62701

The shit has hit the fan.

Here’s the recap of the last week:
  • Tuesday night I start feeling crappy - sore throat and congested.
  • Wednesday more of the same hoping to survive the week.
  • Thursday more of the same and a long busy day as I have to host an awards ceremony at the high school. Still feeling crappy but notice my forehead is a little irritated. Great.
  • Friday more of the same congestion and exhaustion and my forehead is getting worse.
  • Saturday no improvement and my forehead has spread to around my eye and scalp. I go to the doctor and he diagnoses me with an upper respiratory infection and shingles. SHINGLES!?!?! Wtf. That’s for old people. Nope I hit the lottery. Oh yea and then my daughter has to go to the doctor as she has a stomach virus. Great. Add insult to injury. My doctor asks me if I have any stress in my life. I tell him I have a wife and 2 kids. He says say no more.
  • Sunday I had a century planned so I say f it. Let me at least start it and see how far I get. Up until mile was 60 was good. After it was not so good. I needed a good tow after that but I got it done.
  • Today - Monday I had to go see an ophthalmologist to see if the shingles had spread to my eye. Thankfully it hasn’t. But then my dog now has an ear infection.
I hope tomorrow is a miracle day and I feel better since my wife is leaving in business until Friday night. If I’m still dealing with being miserable and having all these other issues I don’t know if I’ll make it to next weekend. Adulting sucks.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
at least your strava didn't get erased ;)

you are knee deep in it. hang in, it gets better!

speaking of which, my kid just walked right by his folded clothes (which i did) and went upstairs without them. wtf?
so tomorrow i'll hear something about where his pants are! my spouse is away until thursday - hope he set his alarm.

ps - he takes his clothes off inside-out, i wash them inside out, then fold them that way. hope they are coming clean.

Top Bottom