is it worth the trip.

TonyC

I'm intrigued by all the talk about 6mr so I was wondering if it's worth the trip.

If it was local I give it a go, but it will probably take 45-60minutes depending on traffic.
blah, blah, blah.

My question is basically try 6MR or go up to Stewart or Blue Mtn?

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
It is definitely!!

U know me....my love still belongs to the ROCKS, but there is something about 6MR. It is perfect for your SS! Give it a shot, plus you can't really get lost, maybe a little on that MAZE section by the soccer fields.:rolleyes:

Just don't do any of those group rides....people get really nasty :p

Oh, I just saw the question correctly 6MR, Stweart or Blue.

6MR > Stweart
but BLUE is completely different riding

BLUE owns them both!!!!!
....but again completely different riding

D

DANSPANK

6 mile's great for a fast blast around in the woods. It's smooth and fun. It would be best for you to have someone show you around but it's not a nightmare if you go alone either.

vlkslvr

I'm intrigued by all the talk about 6mr so I was wondering if it's worth the trip.

If it was local I give it a go, but it will probably take 45-60minutes depending on traffic.
blah, blah, blah.

My question is basically try 6MR or go up to Stewart or Blue Mtn?

Great for a SS, depends on your riding style and preferences. I have a friend that comes down from morristown about once a month to ride.

You can do a nice~14 mile loop between the two sections. Nothing too technical there but it's awesome to get a good rythym through the turns and just flow.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Has anyone or could someone describe how to make your way around 6 mile without a guide. I see there is no true map on this site. I hear that is pretty ghard to get lost and i can see that it surrounded by roads. But if someone could just put together a description it would be helpful. I have no idea when i would go there. I was thinking it would be a good place to go for a hangover ride, and those usually come about with no prior planning. Please and thanks.

I am interested in the long loop.

BiknBen

Has anyone or could someone describe how to make your way around 6 mile without a guide.

Seriously??? :rolleyes: You've got a better chance that someone will offer to show you around than write a trail map in a thread. Got a 6-pak and some legs, I'd bite!

Park a the Rt 27 lot and just follow the bike tracks. Watch the videos I've posted in other threads. You may start to recognize things.

TonyC

Has anyone or could someone describe how to make your way around 6 mile without a guide. I see there is no true map on this site. I hear that is pretty ghard to get lost and i can see that it surrounded by roads. But if someone could just put together a description it would be helpful. I have no idea when i would go there. I was thinking it would be a good place to go for a hangover ride, and those usually come about with no prior planning. Please and thanks.

I am interested in the long loop.

I'm almost 99.9% sure I'll be there on Sunday at 7am.
Looking at previous posts/maps it looks like the trails go out and back. If you or others would like to join us please feel free.

I picked a street off google maps (Allamano Way, Somerset, NJ 08873) from Clifton.
39.7 mi – about 55 mins
Looking forward to seeing Halter's Group trails..

From the Parkway going South is it easier taking Rte1 or go 287 to Rte 27?

idbrian

Crotch Rot
At 7AM i will be sleeping, but thanks.

It is always amusing how people are so reluctant to give trail descriptions. I wasn't asking for a map. Is it really that hard to write up a brief description? I could do it for plenty of parks that are notoriously larger and easier to get lost in.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
ya, theres not anyone that can really give you directions. ive always heard people say "keep left". there is a pretty worn in trail in most parts, that are obviously the way to go. once you get into the pines, you just need to keep your head straight and make sure you remember where the fork took you last time :)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It is always amusing how people are so reluctant to give trail descriptions. I wasn't asking for a map. Is it really that hard to write up a brief description? I could do it for plenty of parks that are notoriously larger and easier to get lost in.

It is always amusing how people are so reluctant to get on a bike without trail descriptions.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
It is always amusing how people are so reluctant to get on a bike without trail descriptions.

I'm just asking for some advice. When i ride with my GF i don't really want to join a group ride. There is no need to start some sort of back and forth.

Edit: Didn't mean to be rude to any one person. I recently took a trip to Massachusetts and hit two of their biggest parks. I asked for a route description in some forums and nobody would give me one stating that they were nearly impossible to navigate without a guide. After a bunch more research and stopping at local shops i was able to put together some awesome routes at both parks. Routes that i could easily write a verbal description for. Maybe it is just that riders want to limit people that come to their parks? I understand that there are times when people just don't want to ride in groups. I'm not very good with making out of work appointments and i live at least an hour from most parks. I rarely get to ride because of that distance, and so when i travel to a place i like to get the most of it by having an idea where to go.

Last edited:

supermike

I've only been there about 4 or 5 times. It truely is hard to get lost in (but very easy to get temporarily confused). Just head out and explore. Maybe print out one of those Motion Based maps people post, and that should be all the direction you need. Its pretty obvious when you are "out of bounds", and as long as you stay inside the confines of the park, it's pretty much just a very twisty out-and-back ride.

I may head down on Sunday morning, if you're interested.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
I'm rather bored so....
from 27:

forward at trail head, left in clearing, left into singletrack, ride through powerlines, forward once in the woods coming from powerlines, next left, left in clearing, left into a bermy section, return to clearing and go left and turn right almost immediately, right at the fork, right at the next fork, forward across the pipeline, forward at intersection, you should now be on the two bridges section...

keep going forward, pass house ruins and concrete bridge, enter pines, exit pines and continue forward, enter pines, exit pines and continue forward until you reach s. middlebush road.

cross, take red trail (left) out to canal road.

right on canal road, ride over to the ranger station and take the gravel road till you reach the trail head by the woods not the one by the field (both are considered the blue trail). After boardwalk, turn right and re-enter the woods.
Go until the trail forks and take the left. soon after it will fork again and stay right. Don't turn into the yellow trail. exit woods after the November cut (twisty section) and follow the border of the woods. Cross the stream. and continue following the border of the woods. this section of trail will then briefly turn into the forest two more times. cross the meadow and enter the woods via bridge. at the next fork take a left up the hill. at the top stay left until you reach the bottom of the hill. cross the bridge, pass the stream, and follow until s. middlebush road.

take the same way back on the return. from south middlebush.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
id -

i think there is one thing to get you going on the right track. starting on the rt 27 side of things when you enter in the trail head, there is one turn that is pretty important to make to get 'into' the park.

about 100 yards in (total guess) there is a large log pile at a "T" section of the trail. turn left onto the trail at the log pile - don't just go straight. that left turn will lead you into where you want to be. once you make that left, and you cross the powerlines, you are now in the twisties section - there are a bunch of forks in the trail, and generally - they all take you to the same place, but you can get caught up in this spot...

all the trail fork options in this section (pearl was talking about them) are just short cuts through some of the twisty areas. i figured those out fast (just ask madness and M3Tim - i'm a slow f'er and can be 5 minutes behind you in the twisties, but then end up in front of the group after a couple short cut options).

but honestly, it's not that big of a park - so there isn't much to worry about.

other than that it'd be tough to give solid directions - i could say, when you hit the tight switchback-like turn by the pine trees turn right, but that just wouldn't help at all - you'll see why... there's lots of tight turns and lots of pine trees.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Clarkenstein, like the general directions. Will have to play out there i guess. If i go and see someone entering maybe i'll just tag along.

TonyC

Cool place. Lots of turning, huh?
All in all it's a different ride (no rocks) lots of spinning.

We scoured most of the trails out to Canal and back to Rte 27 lot. Cateye says we covered 17.7miles/Ave 9.1/Max 25.5/Time1:51.

I give props to the guys/girls that built and maintain all those winding trails.
Wow :confused:
They must have taken a long time to complete.

Good stuff. Will be back in the near future.

Btw, where was everybody? Only 3 cars in the Rte27 lot and 3 cars over by Canal lot.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions