Winter Trail Abuse.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Lately I've been getting messages daily about how bad trail conditions are. One of these messages was from the park staff. They are less than pleased and VERY well aware of the trail abuse that has gone down this winter.

I have to ask this group to begin to more aggressively self police within our community and push forward some education about trail impact when thawing or wet.

We all know a few riders who are out there when it's wet and they just don't care.

I'm not going to sugar coat this. We are on thin ice. I have a few people in the park that love the work we've done over the last decade, but there are others who would have us shut out for good. Really. Like forever.

I'm going to hit the TM work hard once the warm weather hits, but know that we are all grouped together as once guilty party.

-Please stop riding this park when the Freeze/thaw is on.

-PLEASE give this park 2-4 dry days after any rain event.

-Please keep your JORBA membership active

-Please take some time and teach the newbies you know how to behave.

Our access here is NOT a right nor is it guaranteed.

j-

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Totally right.

That said, we've got to spread the word

That said, and the fact that neither JORBA nor MTBNJ are a policing organizations... has there been any discussion from the park admin on ways to limit abuse other than "preaching to the choir"? We all know the slippery slope (no pun), but go ahead and ban bikes, you're only banning those who currently respect the trails (for the most part) and will still have the majority of other users going on there merry way. It just boggles my mind...

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
That said, and the fact that neither JORBA nor MTBNJ are a policing organizations... has there been any discussion from the park admin on ways to limit abuse other than "preaching to the choir"? We all know the slippery slope (no pun), but go ahead and ban bikes, you're only banning those who currently respect the trails (for the most part) and will still have the majority of other users going on there merry way. It just boggles my mind...

You ban bikes they loose TM and then no respct for the trails. More bad condition riding and no one looking to stop it.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Part of my point... any of the parks who's actually maintaining them? Just seems foolish on the park admins part to not take this into consideration.

Let's ban dog owners while we're at it, IDC about dogs but since owners ignore the leash rule they may as well let the dogs have free reign and get rid of the useless owners.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Let's ban dog owners while we're at it, IDC about dogs but since owners ignore the leash rule they may as well let the dogs have free reign and get rid of the useless owners.

And just like mtbers, I'm sure the dog owners who are currently ignoring leash laws will also ignore a "dog ban"... situation sucks all around and its ahsame that those who care/help are the most affected and demonized by the admin

Xler8

Closing trail heads is weak. A wall would be better...

Here’s a better plan: Need to shut down parking. All of it. Lockdown. Only thing that’s left is illegal parking. And while people are illegally parked, get a helping hand from the po-po to give out some tickets. Better yet tow their shit while they are out mud bogging and it’ll only be a matter of days, maybe hours before you’ll see a significant difference.

If it’s too bad to ride, it’s too bad to walk, jog, hike, bird watch, walk your dog, ride your horse, etc... it’s closed. For everybody.

Only measures like this or something similar will have a fighting chance to reduce the damage caused by all these hooligans.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Only measures like this or something similar will have a fighting chance to reduce the damage caused by all these hooligans.

True. And yet the small minority who care and respect/maintain the trails are held accountable.

Sorry everyone I've have a few drinks and am a bit more salty on the subject tonight... but #truth

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Closing trail heads is weak. A wall would be better...

Here’s a better plan: Need to shut down parking. All of it. Lockdown. Only thing that’s left is illegal parking. And while people are illegally parked, get a helping hand from the po-po to give out some tickets. Better yet tow their shit while they are out mud bogging and it’ll only be a matter of days, maybe hours before you’ll see a significant difference.

If it’s too bad to ride, it’s too bad to walk, jog, hike, bird watch, walk your dog, ride your horse, etc... it’s closed. For everybody.

As harsh as this might initially seem I tend to agree something along these lines (at least shutting down parking or ticketing those coming back to thier cars caked in mud) might just be the wake up call the guilty parties need. It may be worth at least a trial run to gauge its potential. I also agree it has to apply to ALL trail users. Soft trails are soft trails.

At 6MR, Canal and Jacques would be easy enough to close. But 28 lot also caters to the local soccer leagues and might be difficult to guard.

This doesn’t mean we shouldn’t continue to do our part to educate others and spread the word, but it’s worth a discussion.

Rusty

Seriously, I like the idea of shutting down the parking during days when trail use would be damaging. Am I wrong to wonder why the park system doesn't take a more active role in protecting the trails?

jdog

Shop Keep
Seriously, I like the idea of shutting down the parking during days when trail use would be damaging. Am I wrong to wonder why the park system doesn't take a more active role in protecting the trails?

You are not wrong, but if you saw the staffing cuts they’ve had in the last decade you would be surprised.

They don’t have much man power and they aren’t going to go around opening and closing the lot lots daily. It’s a tough spot.

When these guys tour the park and see nearly every inch of the place rutted up by mtn Bikes, the most obvious thing (to some people) is to simply ban mtn bikes outright.

He moves that the Nassau crew has made to close the trails is the right one, but even then I’m sure there are those who ignore it.

jdog

Shop Keep
I've been banned a dozen times on the FB Fat Bike group for fighting with people about riding 6-mile in mud. Unfortunately, a lot of people do know and DGAF at all. NJ is filled to the brim with entitled assclowns.

Thanks for that. For some reason certain people think bikes are made for mud. Much like jeeps or atvs.

Unfortunately the impacts of wet riding are long lasting and the only point to our user group.

You have to know that on the first warm days in March the park is going to get countless emails from hikers about the trail conditions and they won’t be wrong about who made the mess. It doesn’t matter about who actually cut these trails or who has done 1000s of TM hours.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions