Intermittent fasting. Thoughts?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
True but conventional thinking (possibly wrong) is that once you do eat your body immediately stores the calories because it's not sure when you will eat again.
So, I have a slight update. I have narrowed it down to lunch and dinner(i would eat my breakfast and lunch at noon previously). I will sometimes have a small snack between(most likely a DD egg/cheese wrap. I feel less and less hungry. Tomorrow is an off day but friday will be focused zone 2 where I will fast before and an hour and a half in before having a snack.

Ultimately i feel i am depleting my glycogen during the night and morning, then my body starts to burn fat after 12 hours(research says). Zone 2 is fine for a fasted state as it’s low intensity. Zone 3 or more you need to be very careful or once the glycogen is burned up you will start to burn muscle and not fat.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Holy shit, this whole time I thought this thread was about inter-mutton fasting. Like what you guys were doing in between feedings of sheep.

I like to play ping pong between my mutton grazing.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So, I have a slight update. I have narrowed it down to lunch and dinner(i would eat my breakfast and lunch at noon previously). I will sometimes have a small snack between(most likely a DD egg/cheese wrap. I feel less and less hungry. Tomorrow is an off day but friday will be focused zone 2 where I will fast before and an hour and a half in before having a snack.

Ultimately i feel i am depleting my glycogen during the night and morning, then my body starts to burn fat after 12 hours(research says). Zone 2 is fine for a fasted state as it’s low intensity. Zone 3 or more you need to be very careful or once the glycogen is burned up you will start to burn muscle and not fat.

I feel like I would need to do shit like this for at least a month to really get a good idea of how/if it’s working.
I don’t think my body would even realize I’m doing anything different after a few days.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I feel like I would need to do shit like this for at least a month to really get a good idea of how/if it’s working.
I don’t think my body would even realize I’m doing anything different after a few days.
You’d be surprised. Morning appetite is basically gone.

RobW

I’m seriously confused. Do you keep a good journal? If so, what macro ratio are you using for these meals?

RobW

FWIW, a DD is probably not the best “snack“. It has 14 grams of carbs which is 31% of those calories & 16% protein, and 50% of those calories are from fat.

In order to keep your gycogen levels down, don’t you need to minimize the carb intake? Or do I have this completely backwards?

Captain Brainstorm

I’ve been doing time restricted eating for the past 1.5 years and I’ve lost 25lbs. I’ve gone from 190 to 165, with 165 my target weight. I haven’t radically altered my diet other than practicing some portion control, cutting back on refined sugars (hard because I have a wicked sweet tooth), and eating more healthy breakfasts. Ok, it sounds like I altered my diet. The key is discipline, sticking to your 10-12hr eating window and not snacking after. Reality is that none of those late night snacks are good for you anyway, they’re usually salty or sweet snacks. Humans are diurnal, not nocturnal. We evolved to feed during the day, and hunker down and rest/repair at night to avoid those nocturnal predators. Activating digestive enzymes and insulin reactions during the day vs. night has different results long term (you get fat).

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’ve been doing time restricted eating for the past 1.5 years and I’ve lost 25lbs. I’ve gone from 190 to 165, with 165 my target weight. I haven’t radically altered my diet other than practicing some portion control, cutting back on refined sugars (hard because I have a wicked sweet tooth), and eating more healthy breakfasts. Ok, it sounds like I altered my diet. The key is discipline, sticking to your 10-12hr eating window and not snacking after. Reality is that none of those late night snacks are good for you anyway, they’re usually salty or sweet snacks. Humans are diurnal, not nocturnal. We evolved to feed during the day, and hunker down and rest/repair at night to avoid those nocturnal predators. Activating digestive enzymes and insulin reactions during the day vs. night has different results long term (you get fat).

I've read the theory which makes sense that doing IF or Keto isn't so much in the magic of low-carb or eating windows, it's that the restrictions placed will in most people lead to less calories.

If you're doing IF with a 12-8 eating window you're not eating the donuts in the office when you walk in, or those late night snacks. If doing Keto you skip those potato chips & pretzels when at a party, etc.

Biggest reason it seems to do IF is cellular autophagy, but I have no idea if the science is really solid on that.

Captain Brainstorm

I've read the theory which makes sense that doing IF or Keto isn't so much in the magic of low-carb or eating windows, it's that the restrictions placed will in most people lead to less calories.

If you're doing IF with a 12-8 eating window you're not eating the donuts in the office when you walk in, or those late night snacks. If doing Keto you skip those potato chips & pretzels when at a party, etc.

Biggest reason it seems to do IF is cellular autophagy, but I have no idea if the science is really solid on that.

There is little, if any, scientific data to support the cellular apoptosis angle. Real reason to do IF is to lose weight. Very simple, when you induce an insulin reaction when you are resting or sleeping, that glucose is going to be stored as glycogen or fat. Unless you are burning 4-5000 calories during an exercise session, it will get stored as fat.

As far as athletic performance goes, glycogen is just part of the equation. How much glycogen gets converted to ATP is limited by the electron transport chain. Your AT and ability to recycle unbuffered lactate play a larger role. This is why freaks like Phelps and Armstrong can probably still kick a CAT 2-1 racers ass even though they’re retired and off the drugs.

taylor185

Team MTBNJ Halter's
saw this recently. i think they're right on with the ideal target demographic for inter fasting (i.e. not endurance athletes)

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
saw this recently. i think they're right on with the ideal target demographic for inter fasting (i.e. not endurance athletes)

Well, when Dave tanks this year at least he'll have something to blame it on.
giphy (7).gif

Captain Brainstorm

So, I like to try different things(duh). I follow Tyler Kasiliak (Nutrition Anchor) on instagram. He's a bigger name in motocross training. I enjoy his content and nutritional input. So I decided to try intermittent fasting.

I've only been doing this since last thursday but I sort of like it. Maybe it's just breaking up the monotony of life. Who knows. I basically eat dinner around 6, have a beer or two after and hit the sack around 9. I wake up at 4:40 and drink a cup of coffee at 5 and one again at 9. I'll have some water in between but find it's not too bad to make it til noon. I'll eat lunch and maybe my breakfast around 12:15. A cup of coffee on the way home before dinner. Then it's start over again.

I do the above on non intensity days. If I plan to do a harder ride the next day I will carb up at night. I'll also eat a nice protein filled breakfast before my run/ride. I'll hydrate and replenish calories during the ride and eat a healthy (recovery) meal afterwards.

In conclusion I feel that I am overall less hungry, I am not as hungry after dinner and I feel leaner. My hopes and wishes of IF are to burn off some excess fat. Basically your body goes into survival mode after 12 hours of fasting and starts to burn stored fat. I guess this is after your glycogen is depleted. Who has tried this and what are your thoughts?
So, I like to try different things(duh). I follow Tyler Kasiliak (Nutrition Anchor) on instagram. He's a bigger name in motocross training. I enjoy his content and nutritional input. So I decided to try intermittent fasting.

I've only been doing this since last thursday but I sort of like it. Maybe it's just breaking up the monotony of life. Who knows. I basically eat dinner around 6, have a beer or two after and hit the sack around 9. I wake up at 4:40 and drink a cup of coffee at 5 and one again at 9. I'll have some water in between but find it's not too bad to make it til noon. I'll eat lunch and maybe my breakfast around 12:15. A cup of coffee on the way home before dinner. Then it's start over again.

I do the above on non intensity days. If I plan to do a harder ride the next day I will carb up at night. I'll also eat a nice protein filled breakfast before my run/ride. I'll hydrate and replenish calories during the ride and eat a healthy (recovery) meal afterwards.

In conclusion I feel that I am overall less hungry, I am not as hungry after dinner and I feel leaner. My hopes and wishes of IF are to burn off some excess fat. Basically your body goes into survival mode after 12 hours of fasting and starts to burn stored fat. I guess this is after your glycogen is depleted. Who has tried this and what are your thoughts?

So looking back at your first post, you are breaking your fast at 5am. Drinking anything other than water starts your digestive system, your liver enzymes get going, fast over. Your fast is only 11hrs, when you should be shooting for a minimum of 12. So if your last meal was at 6, then having breakfast at 8 will give you a good 14hr fast. Push it till 9am and it’s even better. And the great thing about time restricted eating is once you are consistent, you can have cheat days once a week with no impact. If you want to drink some beers on the weekend and have some late night wings, no biggie. Mans gotta live too.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
FWIW, a DD is probably not the best “snack“. It has 14 grams of carbs which is 31% of those calories & 16% protein, and 50% of those calories are from fat.

In order to keep your gycogen levels down, don’t you need to minimize the carb intake? Or do I have this completely backwards?
So looking back at your first post, you are breaking your fast at 5am. Drinking anything other than water starts your digestive system, your liver enzymes get going, fast over. Your fast is only 11hrs, when you should be shooting for a minimum of 12. So if your last meal was at 6, then having breakfast at 8 will give you a good 14hr fast. Push it till 9am and it’s even better. And the great thing about time restricted eating is once you are consistent, you can have cheat days once a week with no impact. If you want to drink some beers on the weekend and have some late night wings, no biggie. Mans gotta live too.
the one i am following say black coffee is ok. That and water

Reactions: Tim

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
https://www.livestrong.com/article/463230-what-can-i-drink-when-doing-intermittent-fasting/

Top Bottom