PLZ suggest camp area w/ lake/river & rock climbing...

THATmanMANNY

To celebrate my birfday some buddies and I will go camping.

Can anyone suggest a camping area that has a lake/river (preferably lake) that you can fish in, some rockclimbing or bouldering, and hiking trails nearby or on site?

The more activities accessible there the better (kayak, canoe, etc.. etc..)
Willing to drive 2-3 hours max.
OH YEA AND MUST ALLOW ADULT BEVERAGES

Delware River... been there done that... anything else?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Delware River... been there done that... anything else?

I was going to say High Rocks/Ralph Stover Park but it is pretty close.

Jim Thorpe, PA? Although, don't know of specific climbing places there but you have good mtb and the Lehigh River to play on although probably dry this time of year. Also, awesome paintball nearby.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
I was going to say High Rocks/Ralph Stover Park but it is pretty close.

Jim Thorpe, PA? Although, don't know of specific climbing places there but you have good mtb and the Lehigh River to play on although probably dry this time of year. Also, awesome paintball nearby.

+1 on Ralph Stover. great rock walls (overlook a river), i hear there's good biking, it's close to new hope.

paintball in jim thrope (skirmish) is sick but expensive (field paint only, $100 bucks a box of 2000).

The gunks in new york? world class climbing, definitely a bunch of trails near by, probably a bunch of other stuff too.

Last edited:

THATmanMANNY

I've been to a couple delaware river sites but anything that fits my description but are at the Del. River are still okay and I will look in to.

THANKS.

Keep em coming....

Glancing Aft

That's easy... the gunks, best climbing around and good camping in the area. Pluss you can hit up new paltz for some eats and drinks...

bozizle

Jt

I will second Jim Thorpe for everything you mentioned in your trip and a nice camping area at Mauchunck Lake up the mountain from town about 5 minutes.

Blue Mountain Sports downtown has all the info you need for your activities. http://www.bikejimthorpe.com/

Alos down town has the 24oz steak dinner for $12.99 at the Swiss Hotel with plenty of other good eats.

D

DANSPANK

I stayed at the lake campsite at JT and there's no drinking. Park wardens were even wandering around at night to keep an eye on things. And it was very busy. Our neighbours were about 15ft away on either side.

I'm sure the riding is good but I think you have to know where to go. I was in touch with a local (who was attending a race on the weekend I was there) and he advised me to ride Twin Peaks. This ended up being a lot of fire road and paved road so if you want to ride then make sure you get a local guide.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
I don't get why everyone suggests Jim Thorpe really. I took a trip out there earlier this summer and rode American Standard which i was lead to believe was their notorious trail. It was boring as hell. The Jim Thorpe town was really nice, and the Whitewater rafting we did while out there was fun of course. They increased the amount of times they let out the dam, and we were there for that weekend in June. I just don't get the appeal of Am Standard. It isn't uber-tech, uber-flow, or even scenic. There were just long slow steady climbs over nothing. I personally think that Wawayanda, Ringwood, and Allamuchy are more fun and scenic than JT. Maybe i'm missing something.

Last edited:

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
the gunks.

i did my bachelor party up there and had a blast for a weekend. the bouldering is world class, lake minnewaska has awesome views for hiking and some eh biking, but if you drive one exit north on the thruway from new paltz you can ride jockey hill in kingston for your singletrack needs.

the gill egg (V4) on the carriage road at the gunks is a classic boulder problem that alone is worth the drive.

plus you can hit new paltz for food/drinking (bacchus rocks) or camp out in a bunch of areas.

stover has fun riding, the climbing is ok tho... protection is iffy at best in most spots, so there is a lot of top-roping and very limited bouldering, mainly traverses.

THATmanMANNY

Ralph Stover

Okay... so I think I'm gonna do Ralph Stover. The park looks fun!

However, I am having difficulty finding campsite info. Is there a campsite on the park or is it just nearby the park?

Please let me know a great campsite on and/or in the area with wilderness feel and not the crowded trailer campsites if possible.

Thanks
Manny

THATmanMANNY

Tohickon Valley Park is the side with the camping...

Thanks but campsite doesn't allow adult beverages tho...

Know any else that do or will you be able to get by, but then it wouln't be as fun not being able to wave beers up high and eating food that will clog my arteries.

xc62701

Know any else that do or will you be able to get by, but then it wouln't be as fun not being able to wave beers up high and eating food that will clog my arteries.

Bring a couple small paper bags and you're all set!:rolleyes:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

I think you will be ok.

xc62701

I just wish they had more bolts at the Gunks...lol. I've gotta learn this whole placing pro deal one of these days...

Top Bottom