Shenandoah 100 Course Recon

xc62701

Hey peeps! I went down to do a little course recon this past week and what I found was an amazing course. I did it in 3 days as a little recovery ride after the Darkhorse 40 :drooling:. Each day was a different segment of the course and each day it was amazing riding. The climbs were solid and the singletrack was fun. The wildlife was beautiful as well. Many hawks were seen as well as a nice black bear was witnessed on the course. It's going to take some good legs to pump out this course quickly for sure. As a matter of fact on day 2 I was hating myself as one of the climbs was tearing me apart. I was dizzy and had to stop a few times just to continue on(Probably an after effect of not letting my body recover properly). Expect lots of gravel ups, ups and more ups, some steep singletrack climbs, some sweet singletrack downs, good fireroads and a couple nice sections of paved roads. It's going to be one solid day and I'm still sticking with my goal of breaking the 10 hour mark although as I've just seen, it's gonna be one of the hardest tests yet. It's gonna be amazing regardless...

S

seabass

Sounds wicked, bonus points for the bear sighting too. Barring too close an encounter, that'd absolutely make my day too.
I have a new big wheeler and am in a bit of quandry about (sorry) which tyres to run for shen, do you have any recommendations? Something light and zippy like crossmarks for all those brutal fireroad climbs or are there enough spicy bits to necessitate something with a little more bite?
Cheers

Glancing Aft

Sounds like a great course Ryan! I wish I had gotten myself in good enough shape to race it this year. Good luck to you down there!

xc62701

Sounds wicked, bonus points for the bear sighting too. Barring too close an encounter, that'd absolutely make my day too.
I have a new big wheeler and am in a bit of quandry about (sorry) which tyres to run for shen, do you have any recommendations? Something light and zippy like crossmarks for all those brutal fireroad climbs or are there enough spicy bits to necessitate something with a little more bite?
Cheers

As long as you can anticipate a little bit of drifting I think you'll be ok with some fast tires. I run the Kenda Karmas and I was floating through corners as it was a lot of hardpack with a small loose layer on top. It was easily manageable. It also depends if we get some wet weather before the race. That may warrant some beefier tires. But for the most part fast tires should be ok. For you I'd definitely recommend street slicks :p

S

seabass

Nice one, I'll give them a go and see how they fare.
Looks like there should be quite the NJ/NY crew there, perhaps a post race kegstand championship is in order :D

xc62701

Sweet! This thing sounds like it's going to be a party for sure. I looked on the regi page and there are 11 spots left for registration. That's nuts! It's gonna sell out. We're in for fighting through some crowds. Who is going for sure and when are you planning on getting there? I'm planning on being there shortly after the campground opens at noon on Friday to make sure I get a good spot. We should all try to camp in the same area and do some North Jerz/NY representin!

maddawg

no gears for me! still rocking the rigid seven, although i broke down and put some riser bars on to add a little comfort. george and i are riding this thing together team style. he has his jet rebuilt with the new rocker links and wants to give it a good run thru the virginia mountains!
we are leaving early sat am to get there and get situated sat early pm. hopefully theres still some decent campsites left. whole bunch of ny/nj dudes rolling down. should be a party for sure.
lets all try to hook up. maybe exchange cell #'s before we leave.

S

seabass

I think we're planning on coming down on Saturday late afternoon, same crew as for the 101. We may be getting there late so save us a spot in the NY/NJ enclave if possible :D

Kmoodymz3

Hey Ryan, told ya you'd like the course! Glad your were able to check it out. We'll be there mid afternoon Friday too.

Top Bottom