Curious but cautious. CBD use?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
So is this something to take daily, like a vitamin, or only when hurting?

I don't drink and/or use rec drugs and never have, minus maybe 10 sips of alcohol in my life time. I am also not big on painkillers, although really dont have a problem with ibuprofen, Tylenol, etc and I would say I take ibuprofen a handful of times a year.

So, what exactly does CBD or THC supposed to do for me?
THC is the psychoactive chemical in weed. CBD is the non psychoactive chemical in weed. CBD is for the most part legal and THC is not. CBD is supposed to help with inflammation, anxiety, sleep etc with no “high”. I take advil here and there but really NSAIDS( non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs) are typically bad for u in the long run. My mother took 600mg/advil a day for ms but ultimately had kidney problems develop ftom it.

Rusty

Jay of course nailed it. Useful for pain, and opioid avoidance, works for me. But, there is a theory out there that CBD is most effective in the presence of some THC. This would obviously not be good for those regularly tested....also there are few brands you can really trust..... I find that to be true. High CBD, low THC strains keep me from going to the pills, which I won't do.

I have also learned recently that even CBD alone is horrific for people with certain mental health issues, so if you are for example schizophrenic or bi polar either CBD or THC can often be triggers to those illnesses. Not for everybody - and best when consulted with your doctor, not a bunch of douchebags on the internet. (I use that term lovingly of course)…. Stuff is not harmless but useful in some use cases is how I see it.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Jay of course nailed it. Useful for pain, and opioid avoidance, works for me. But, there is a theory out there that CBD is most effective in the presence of some THC. This would obviously not be good for those regularly tested....also there are few brands you can really trust..... I find that to be true. High CBD, low THC strains keep me from going to the pills, which I won't do.

I have also learned recently that even CBD alone is horrific for people with certain mental health issues, so if you are for example schizophrenic or bi polar either CBD or THC can often be triggers to those illnesses. Not for everybody - and best when consulted with your doctor, not a bunch of douchebags on the internet. (I use that term lovingly of course)…. Stuff is not harmless but useful in some use cases is how I see it.
Interesting you mention the dangers. I have a german friend who's brother has been institutionalized for 10 years or so. He was a big time stoner and is now a paranoid schizophrenic. They claim it's a direct relation to the weed.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Interesting you mention the dangers. I have a german friend who's brother has been institutionalized for 10 years or so. He was a big time stoner and is now a paranoid schizophrenic. They claim it's a direct relation to the weed.

primary reason i stopped - it made me paranoid. along with sleepy.
so might be something more permanent there for certain people.

iman29

I dont have any personal experience, but my Mother in Law has severe psoriatic arthritis as well as fybromialgia. After being on Rx stuff for a while which still costs a lot and is hard to afford on Social security income only, she tried some version of CBD oil for a few months. At first she said she felt great and now shes back to getting re-evaluated for a new Rx. Seems to help/not help people in various ways which is also evident by the replies here.

I have thought about it for myself due to recurring back issues which I am currently being evaluated for but so far nothing conclusive. The original question was about any risk to work related drug testing, and while I didnt think about that at first since we dont have random testing for my work, it's something to think about before risking your livelihood. Its gonna be hard to try and win that debate once you put some doubt in your employers mind about whether you took over the counter non regulated stuff or you smoked weed.

And since I am hunting for a new job where I will probably get drug tested as part of the application process, I am holding off on any experimenting with it for now even with the topical stuff (skin oils).

Hope that 2 cents held some value. Good luck.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
so might be something more permanent there for certain people.
Funny the stuff that comes up. I don't smoke weed for that reason. First off, I get randomly DOT tested through work and secondly my literally handful of times smoking mj left me paranoid and anxious more often than not. It's not that I support CBD but I try and look towards natural remedies the more I see bad news on "legal" drugs. Hell, my dr said you
I dont have any personal experience, but my Mother in Law has severe psoriatic arthritis as well as fybromialgia. After being on Rx stuff for a while which still costs a lot and is hard to afford on Social security income only, she tried some version of CBD oil for a few months. At first she said she felt great and now shes back to getting re-evaluated for a new Rx. Seems to help/not help people in various ways which is also evident by the replies here.

I have thought about it for myself due to recurring back issues which I am currently being evaluated for but so far nothing conclusive. The original question was about any risk to work related drug testing, and while I didnt think about that at first since we dont have random testing for my work, it's something to think about before risking your livelihood. Its gonna be hard to try and win that debate once you put some doubt in your employers mind about whether you took over the counter non regulated stuff or you smoked weed.

And since I am hunting for a new job where I will probably get drug tested as part of the application process, I am holding off on any experimenting with it for now even with the topical stuff (skin oils).

Hope that 2 cents held some value. Good luck.
Right, I am looking at the anti inflammatory and anxiety suppression but so far it’s not worth it.

RobW

I broke my leg two years back. I refused any of the painkillers they prescribed. I instead took high doses of CBD and THC edibles daily. What may be a surprise to many is that when you are in real pain, thc works. It's not a joke. I avoided all the traps that painkillers can catch you in and I was more aware of my condition as it wasn't as masked.

As for CBD as a stand alone, we've been selling it in the shop since I first heard that Floyd was selling it. I've seen all kinds of results. Some people say they barely feel it and others say it's a game changer. Some claim better sleep, reduced fatigue and faster recovery.

This is of course a controversial topic and my view is that each person may have a different result and complete experience. Just like THC.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/debrab...ket-that-could-grow-700-by-2020/#531f23d84be1

As a side, the locally owned pet shop near me is selling like 50 kinds of CBD dog treats. Dogs are less likely to have some kind of placebo. The owner of the shop tells me that many customers say that their older dogs have been granted a new vitality and freedom of movement.

I for one am a believer and I think we will see more studies that will dig deeper into this topic as time passes.
Please let me know the dog treat maker?

rick81721

Lothar
Wifey has been using CBD for the last 6 months, for arthritis pain in her knees and back. Works some but not well enough. She's going the next step and getting a FL medical marijuana card. Right now they don't sell any smokeables in FL (but new gov wants to change it this year). She will be able to get vape oils and consumables. Can't wait to try some.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have been using a CBD ointment on a severely arthritic knee
(No cartilage left, spotty meniscus coverage, compressed joint).
What I use (CBD Clinic level 4) claims that it doesn’t register on drug tests because it doesn’t enter the blood (or urine) stream as a topical.

I use it as a supplement to traditional viscosupplememtation and acupuncture.

I’m not worried about a test, and just needed relief, so I gave it a go.
Anti inflammatory results have been huge, and I’m sure it’s mixed with the lack of inflammation, but pain is also dramatically reduced.

As with anything, YMMV, but I never hesitate to recommend it to anyone based on my experience.

You can try to research things, but I found so many different companies, with different claims, different formulations and hemp sources, I just gave up and tried this based on a reco from a friend.

Bear in mind it’s all unregulated at this point, and there will be some companies looking to cash in on people with chronic issues.
Just find something you feel you can trust and give it a go.

Good luck.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have been using the oral dropper of CBD Full Spectrum for about 3 months now. I think it's great. I have had 24 7 back pain forever and just deal with it. I can say that I no longer have the pain and can pop out of bed in the am with no complaints.
On a side not, a bit of THC helps too, but I'm not tested for my work.
Right now I'm a believer. I just ordered a jar of CBD Gummies too, just because the Floyd's Full taste like shit.
Good luck DT

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I have been using the oral dropper of CBD Full Spectrum for about 3 months now. I think it's great. I have had 24 7 back pain forever and just deal with it. I can say that I no longer have the pain and can pop out of bed in the am with no complaints.
On a side not, a bit of THC helps too, but I'm not tested for my work.
Right now I'm a believer. I just ordered a jar of CBD Gummies too, just because the Floyd's Full taste like shit.
Good luck DT

my suspicions are that cbd May work better for those who occasionally have thc in their system.

https://qz.com/quartzy/1230456/cbd-the-next-big-thing-in-marijuana-wont-get-you-high/

J

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Funny the stuff that comes up. I don't smoke weed for that reason

With weed being legalized, they have so many different strains / flavors that if you were ever interested you could tell the people in the shop that was your prior experience. They wrote recommend something that did not have that effect.
The legalized stuff is not the weed we used to get as kids.
Now that is legal in Massachusetts I think it's going to be even more readily available here

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I took it (CBD) for a couple of months last year to try and cope with some nerve pain that originated in my neck put presented as searing pain in my left shoulder which would radiate down my arm to my hand. It eventually helped some but it wasn’t dramatic or immediate. What I did notice was I overall felt a little less bad. What I can say for certain is the sleep analysis on the watch was registering about 30 more min of deep sleep while taking it. Not that I slept longer mind you, just the ratios were better.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
With weed being legalized, they have so many different strains / flavors that if you were ever interested you could tell the people in the shop that was your prior experience. They wrote recommend something that did not have that effect.
The legalized stuff is not the weed we used to get as kids.
Now that is legal in Massachusetts I think it's going to be even more readily available here

i'm 35+ years away from it, so no hurry. No need to start another 'thing'

With my digestion problems, i'm somewhat on the lookout for alternate solutions. Some of the CBD sites claim
improved management of IBS (which i don't have, but somewhat related) - but it reads like the stoner marketing person
wrote the articles.

Last edited:

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
As Jdog says in his post, having a bit if THC with the CBD seems to work better then CBD alone. While I dont mix them together at the same time I would assume that they probably meet together at some point during the day, being in the same blood flow.
Either way I see this as a way better treatment then Advil everyday.
I think this thread is going to be around awhile. Maybe we will need a new post where folks can review and recommend brands from their experiences.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Think Google is watching us.
Screenshot_20190123-072532_Chrome.jpg

Top Bottom