Sourlands 5 - Manny 0

THATmanMANNY

So today I got out of work early and decided to conquer my Friday and ride Sourlands. I haven't been there for like ummm.... forever! And boy conquering Friday turned into a complete and utter failure.

Those mountains got the best of me today...

1) lost my balance on some large logs and saved myself with my bad hand (the hand I've been landing on more frequently lately). Just when I thought it was finished healing I injure it again.

2) scary moment coming down the right side of the mountain when I planted my front wheel in a ditch between some rocks and was just about to endo when miraculously I saved myself. How? no gosh darn clue but f-ing scary moment to think I could have tumbled down some rocky rocks and tore myself up and have my limbs fly all over the place

3) lost my balance again on some large logs but this time I didn't save myself and banged my knee to the ground (thank god it wasn't on any rocks and it was nice soft dirt) BUT my pedal managed to dig a nice gash in my shin the size of pinky nail and pretty deep that I see white skin edges

4) the last time I was there I had a blast and don't remember it being so tough. I did one full loop around the whole mountain's outer most trail going up in middle and to the left most side and down on the right most side. Were these rocks this big????!!!! WTF! I think I spent a 1/4 of my ride hike-a-biking from stopping and going and loosing momentum and being pissed about grinding my cleats and shoes away on those rocks. It was also nice and dark from the thunderstorm passing through. It rained slightly on and off but it wasn't bad at all to ride. I spun my wheel on a couple rocks and a couple boardwalks

5) AND THE WORST OF ALL and what every biker hates... scratching their frame!!!! Forget about our body. The frame is worth more haha. And not to mention I think I picked the sharpest rock I have seen on the trails to F it up on. I will spray paint that shit red next time so everyone can see. That happened 5 minutes into my ride and that just pissed me the hell off and threw off everything in my ride. DAMN did I hate myself. I just kept looking down at it over and over and over. P.S. my bike is carbon. :mad2:

After an hour just completing one loop I was fed up. I was done. I couldn't stand to be here anymore. I vowed to never return, but something in me said that couldn't be my shitty ride. That wasn't even a ride. So I cleared my mind about the #1-5 and said lets make this for real. So off I go again for another loop, but this time I stayed in my element so I worked in a figure 8 loop on the left side of the mountain. I did a few loops for an hour. That portion of my ride was so much better. I was happy. I was feeling it and I was getting over obstacles I didn't charge at early. I love the lengthy climb and then the reward to come downhill on it. I ultimately take back my statement I'll never return.

I used to hate the rock but after riding it a few weeks in a row I learned to love and it conquer it. Sourlands may just need some more time, but honestly this place gave me a tougher time than the Rock and it pissed me off more than the rock. The rock are actually rocks the size of fists. Sourlands are boulders and boulders looking back at me saying pay the fee biznich or you're not getting through. The left side of the mountain is fun and very mountain bike trail oriented but once you get to the top right I was like WTF, this is freaking insane, too bad I don't have my DH bike in my back pocket. But even then I don't think I woulda made it down that side. I'll consider coming down the middle next time instead.

In the end, I paid my fees and I had a horrible ride but I rode. :getsome:

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Manny,

Let me know the next time you're going to head to SL. I tried this right after I started riding last year and was totally smashed. I did the square trail loop to the left and was hitting the boulders right from the start. I'd like to try again now that I have a few miles under my belt.

Tim

fasterthanliam

i will go whenever . i live real close and know it well. it will tax you everytime just in a different place. and when you do not expect it. sunday afternoon let it dry a little it rained heavy tonight.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i might go sunday (8/17). i'll post a new thread tonight if i can get out. i'm slow as snails thru the sourlands, but i love the place.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Maybe it is because i suck but i find Sourlands an absolute must for using pads. I may be interested in meeting up but only if there is an emphasis on slow. I've been going to the gym to try to improve my stamina but it is slow coming.

I'm not fat.

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Sourpuss

I too have ridden at Sourlands. I thought riding there in the winter back in February would be good training for the up and coming MTB season. I haven't been back since. In my opinion Sourpuss is for dog walkers and hikers only. It's not worth brusing your body and damaging your bike.

RC

J-Dro

I too have ridden at Sourlands. I thought riding there in the winter back in February would be good training for the up and coming MTB season. I haven't been back since. In my opinion Sourpuss is for dog walkers and hikers only. It's not worth brusing your body and damaging your bike.

RC

Well I disagree wholeheartedly. Sounds like you either have a) the wrong equipment or b) the wrong attitude or c) both.

Frank

Sasquatch
I must say that I have only ridden there a few times but thought it was great. The trails can be difficult but I like the challenge. I am not one of those speed demons so I love the technical riding this place, as well as Mooch, Diablo etc., offer. Keep at it and go more often and you'll have more fun each time you go.:)

J-Dro

i might go sunday (8/17). i'll post a new thread tonight if i can get out. i'm slow as snails thru the sourlands, but i love the place.

I'm going to be there on Sunday morning at 8am if you want to ride with people. I'm borrowing my friends Enduro-pig since my main ride is down at the moment. Give a shout out if you're there.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
I'm going to be there on Sunday morning at 8am if you want to ride with people. I'm borrowing my friends Enduro-pig since my main ride is down at the moment. Give a shout out if you're there.

Mtb,

I'd like to join since I really don't know my way around. What pace are you going to ride? I don't want to slow you down as I'm in "6-mile shape" which means that any long hills kill me. I'll be there around 8 with a red M3.

Is Clarkenstein going to be there?

Tim

idbrian

Crotch Rot
I'll probably be there at noon then with my GF. Which means slow riding and lots of stop and playing/repeating on sections. Place is a blast.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
... I'll be there around 8 with a red M3 ....

Mtbd,

Sorry forgot it's the weekend, I get to use the wife's minivan for easier loading and unloading, I'll be in a Silver minivan.

I guess I'll change my name to Town+CountryTim for tomorrow. :D :getsome:

Tim

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Mtb,

I'd like to join since I really don't know my way around.

Not trying to discourage you from riding with someone else but this is the easiest place to navigate, easier than 6 mile. Print out a map from the county website, because you can't be sure there will be some at the trailhead. Then just follow the outer most loop going clockwise.

What you really should want a partner for is for someone to carry you out if need be. Because this place is the most tech riding i've seen in NJ. I think i'd venture to say that Sourlands is more tech than even Blue Mountain.

Love it. What a perfect riding weekend.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
poop - i couldn't get to my PC before now... thanks for the invites - i'll join you next time. looks like i cant get out at all this weekend. beautiful weather too. harumph.

Top Bottom