Anyone build a pole barn?

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Barring any major disasters during inspections I'll be closing on a house next month. One of the first things I plan to do, hopefully this summer, is finally build the detached garage/workshop I've always wanted.

Started doing some research and quickly became overwhelmed.

Anyone been down this path before? Any builders to avoid, or any recommended? Lessons learned? Things you wish you added but didnt?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you do your due diligence you can build a conventional stick framed garage at/or cheaper then Morton or like pole barn. That what I did for this client. What you see here was about 25k with siding, floor and doors at finish.
IMG_1293 (1).jpgIMG_1291 (1).jpgIMG_1295 (1).jpg

Matt_

I Get Jokes
If you do your due diligence you can build a conventional stick framed garage at/or cheaper then Morton or like pole barn. That what I did for this client. What you see here was about 25k with siding, floor and doors at finish.

That's actually pretty close to what I'm looking to do. I want 3 bays, 2 with storage/workspace above, and 3rd with high ceiling with post lift capabilities.

When time nears maybe I can offer some beers for a consult and/or quote?? :cool:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That's actually pretty close to what I'm looking to do. I want 3 bays, 2 with storage/workspace above, and 3rd with high ceiling with post lift capabilities.

When time nears maybe I can offer some beers for a consult and/or quote?? :cool:
I may just be able to grab those drawings for a copy so let me know when your ready

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
14 days from dig to finished siding.
It was poured concrete. He is upset he didn't go with radiant heat vs overhead.

olegbabich

I have been thinking about a new Garage.

We have 1.5 car garage right now, which would have to be taken down.

Wife wants to park inside during the winter, but with projects going on, there is no room during the last 2 years.

Please keep this updated, as Mrs Oleg is asking for a new 2 car garage with a shop.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Please keep this updated, as Mrs Oleg is asking for a new 2 car garage with a shop.

Will do, this is about the size I had in mind. Tall side for pulling in the truck and high ceiling for lift, office space over the other two bays. One stays open for parking and the other used for parking/shop work/etc

Screenshot_20190113-094927_Chrome.jpg

Johnny Utah

Will do, this is about the size I had in mind. Tall side for pulling in the truck and high ceiling for lift, office space over the other two bays. One stays open for parking and the other used for parking/shop work/etc

View attachment 85263
We had two of these built in PA by the Amish, larger ones though. I believe they were 50x150’s with barn doors on each side. They go up stoopid fast, all the work is in pouring the pad. @mattybfat said it before, go radiant heat. In the winter it is worth it ten times over. Then again, if you stick build it I feel like you can hold heat/ac in way better. Especially if you use the upstairs office year round.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Know,
That pic and price do match. Read carefully as most of what you see is not included. Like door openings but not the doors. Again price both ways. Those are cold as an ice box too. Anyways good luck on your search.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Know,
That pic and price do match. Read carefully as most of what you see is not included. Like door openings but not the doors. Again price both ways. Those are cold as an ice box too. Anyways good luck on your search.

Oh I know! I didn't mean price, just a reference for size and "vision". We'll be in touch, I'd like a better built structure like you mentioned.... something I could insulate. I have 4 kids, 3 of them girls.... I'll be spending A LOT of time in this structure during their teenage years LOL

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
On @02camaro's size restriction in his build thread - it is 50% of the footprint of the main building in our town (typical?) - then there are property line setbacks.
Getting a variance, if it does not encroach on neighbors (ie backs-up to unbuildable space), is possible - adds time and money. There is probably a height restriction too.
The zoning official can help -

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Yeah there are a ton of rules, some towns more strict than others. Luckily my potential lot is a 1.4 acre corner lot that backs up to farm land, one neighbor on opposite side where I want to build. And although I haven't pulled the zoning rules yet, scouting some of the detached garages in the area it doesnt seem like I'll have an issue. One guy looks like he has an airplane hangar in the back corner of his property (which has neighbors on both sides and backs up to a main road). Its possible (maybe even likely) he had get a variance...

I need to stay off garagejournal until the weekend, holy hell I can read there forever! Thanks for the tip!

02camaro

Zoning for the garage wasnt really the main issue, under 400sq/ft and less than 15ft, 10ft from property line. The real pain was the driveway that runs along the property line, it couldn't be perminant, so no asphalt but the pavers are considered non perminant those were a mother-f to lay.

Top Bottom