Car-spotting thread

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
it isn't a noticeable thing - landing is around 100mph on approach, but touchdown is at 60, so very familiar speed.
the fun part is landing at an airport like lincoln park, where the runway looks like the size of a sidewalk.
but if you'll climb in a plane with me, i guess we are on! note, assembled bikes do not fit in plane.

if your flying from lincoln park lmk, i can leave my bike at the shop for a bath while we go for a ride :O

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Says who? And what do you consider "excessive"? BMW says their performance motors are within "standard" up to 1 qt/400 miles. Ford says 500 on this one.

Come, you don’t think that burning 1qt/400 is a problem? BMW and Audi both try to cover their asses by saying the same thing, and they both suck because it just makes it that much harder to get a warranty replacement. But believe me if owners paid the $80-90k price of entry for an M4 or RS5, burning that much oil would not fly. At least Ford is making good, and if they actually find a root cause, even better. All direct injected engines run high compression and burn a little oil (and build up carbon on the intake valves). Only point I’m making is I’m not getting into a car with known issues like this from the get go. If Ford finds the cause and fixes via a design change, then they’re back on the table for me.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I mean they are going to replace the engine...I dont understand why this is such a huge deal? Your a Porsche fanboy, did you swear off them when they had to replace EVERY engine 911 GT3 engine a few year ago? I can understand being upset if they said "hey, go fuck yourself", but seems like anyone who has had an issue is getting a new engine.

I like Porsche, but I'm no fanboy. Yes, the drive is amazing in some of the models, but I think they're way over-priced. The way they bang you on the options is a total jack, I would never buy one brand new unless I had fuck-you money. Only in a Porsche can you pay $90-100k for a modern mass-produced car and not get power seats, nav, and a decent stereo.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
it isn't a noticeable thing - landing is around 100mph on approach, but touchdown is at 60, so very familiar speed.
the fun part is landing at an airport like lincoln park, where the runway looks like the size of a sidewalk.
but if you'll climb in a plane with me, i guess we are on! note, assembled bikes do not fit in plane.

You fly out of Lincoln Puddle? Shit, if I wasn't so afraid of flying I'd get online for a ride too, but there's no way I'm going up in one of those single-prop aluminum tubes. I already get the shit scared out of me enough when I fly commercial. They closed the airport down last year to let a bunch of guys run their oil-burning exotic cars down the runway, that was pretty cool. I also almost broke the KOM once on Beaverbrook by drafting a dump truck that came out of the garden center.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Come, you don’t think that burning 1qt/400 is a problem? BMW and Audi both try to cover their asses by saying the same thing, and they both suck because it just makes it that much harder to get a warranty replacement. But believe me if owners paid the $80-90k price of entry for an M4 or RS5, burning that much oil would not fly. At least Ford is making good, and if they actually find a root cause, even better. All direct injected engines run high compression and burn a little oil (and build up carbon on the intake valves). Only point I’m making is I’m not getting into a car with known issues like this from the get go. If Ford finds the cause and fixes via a design change, then they’re back on the table for me.
Thats fair, but my god does the internet blow these issues so out of proportion...I mean they have made over 15,000 GT-350s, its not like they are all having issues. And its defiantly an issue that is affecting many cars now with the high compression/DI. Even the new ZL-1 camaro has been having issues with it.

@fidodie I did a few landings at Lincoln Park with Joe Monga at night.....few things I remembered....When you key the runway lights on, the first setting is like SPOTLIGHT bright and jesus christ it blinded the both of us right before touchdown...After that, I think he turned them down a few notches. Im guessing this is standard for most airports? And he remember there were wires at the one end, so he came in pretty high.....I could have gone without knowing that during our approach :)

rick81721

Lothar

Yeah I think 1 qt/500 miles or less is excessive. But if the new motor only consumes 1 qt/1000 - 2000 miles, that's fine with me. I have an oil catch can which helps. I knew the issues going in, that's why I sprung for an extended warranty. At 8 yrs/70,000 miles, should last the life of the car (for me)

THATmanMANNY

h163CE082

mfennell

my plane burns 1qt every 10 hours. that is considered within tolerance (it is a 360cuin flat 4 air cooled at 11:1) making 180 hp at 2,700rpm....
the mustang is probably faster at top end, but i regularly get to do 160mph!
I'm not so sure about 11:1... :)

EDIT: Jealous. My neighbor has an Extra 300L (think Redbull Air races). It's insane.

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
You fly out of Lincoln Puddle? Shit, if I wasn't so afraid of flying I'd get online for a ride too, but there's no way I'm going up in one of those single-prop aluminum tubes. I already get the shit scared out of me enough when I fly commercial. They closed the airport down last year to let a bunch of guys run their oil-burning exotic cars down the runway, that was pretty cool. I also almost broke the KOM once on Beaverbrook by drafting a dump truck that came out of the garden center.

I fly out of Solberg, which is a runway in the middle of a dark field. A little bigger than LP

Busiest airport I've landed at, West Palm. Longest is either Stewart or platsburg. Those military planes like 2+ mile long.
Clearwater and Myrtle beach are close.

I had an engine failure in a cloud outside DC. Carb ice. Cleared up after apply heat and coming out of the cloud

BPaze

I fly out of Solberg, which is a runway in the middle of a dark field. A little bigger than LP

Busiest airport I've landed at, West Palm. Longest is either Stewart or platsburg. Those military planes like 2+ mile long.
Clearwater and Myrtle beach are close.

I had an engine failure in a cloud outside DC. Carb ice. Cleared up after apply heat and coming out of the cloud
I have so many questions, I’ve been thinking about getting my license will pick your mind next ride

Patrick

Staff member
I'm not so sure about 11:1... :)

EDIT: Jealous. My neighbor has an Extra 300L (think Redbull Air races). It's insane.

you are right 8.5:1 - dang! do air cooled engines burn consume more oil? or the fact that we run wide-open-throttle
almost all the time! solid red-line at 2,700 rpm.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Yeah I think 1 qt/500 miles or less is excessive. But if the new motor only consumes 1 qt/1000 - 2000 miles, that's fine with me. I have an oil catch can which helps. I knew the issues going in, that's why I sprung for an extended warranty. At 8 yrs/70,000 miles, should last the life of the car (for me)

I’d say that 1qt/2000 is within the realm of reason. The purpose of the catch can though is to catch the oil coming out Of the crank-case breather before it gets piped back into intake and gets caked onto your intake valves causing carbon buildup. Interestingly, a lot of cars are coming with these from the factory now. VW/Audi also added port injection back into some of their motors for “torque and efficiency”, but it’s really for the carbon.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’ve nearly ridden into the creek alongside Beaverbrook road on more than one occasion watching planes landing.

@fidodie how did I know know you were a pilot? It’s one of the things that I’ve always wanted to do but never will.

Patrick

Staff member
I’ve nearly ridden into the creek alongside Beaverbrook road on more than one occasion watching planes landing.

@fidodie how did I know know you were a pilot? It’s one of the things that I’ve always wanted to do but never will.

I've mentioned it before. They let you fly on the first lesson. Makes a nice birthday present, go up on a nice day and buzz around.

THATmanMANNY

@fidodie i’m in line too
The thought of private flying somewhere makes this world so much smaller. Flying to Kingdom,

Serious ?, do you stash emergency parachutes on those planes?

how come the Manville airport or Princeton airport does not work for you?

Top Bottom